Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SHOULD I REMOVE MY SWAY BAR?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
luckw777 will become famous soon enough
Name: KEVIN
luckw777's Tacoma Gallery
SHOULD I REMOVE MY SWAY BAR?

Hello Toy Taco world new at posting here. Can anyone give me advice on how to deal with my tires rubbing on my sway bar links? How much of a difference would removing them be?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I removed mine. You can tell a difference but I dont drive my truck like a sports car so it doesnt bother me and you get more love from the suspension w/o it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Two things to consider when removing the sway bars. First if you do a lot of off roading and have stock ball joints you could damage them do to the extra articulation of the wheel. Second your insurance company may not be legally liable if you are in an accident and it in some way is traced to the sway bar being disconnected. Jeep people do it all the time. I've done it when going off road but after $2,000 in damage to my GMC Z71 I quit disconnecting it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't offroad at least 50% of the time, leave it on.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I would never remove the sway bar unless you have an upgraded suspension that provides more stability than stock.

For a street driven truck the sway bar provides a good deal of roll resistance.

Offroad it makes the suspension harsher over uneven terrain and limits articulation

The insurance argument is nonsense. Nearly everything we do to modify these trucks ultimately makes them less safe. Bigger tires, lifts, added weight, bumpers, can all potentially affect vehicle safety. Unless you do something illegal to your truck, insurance is no issue.

I took mine off as many have, and I like it much better. It's still one of the better handling 4x4s I've owned. I would not suggest that anyone else do it, as that is a personal choice.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone on here failed to recignize that you do have a 6in lift with an aftermarket suspension. Most of the guys running an upgraded suspension have removed their sway bar at one point in time. Spend an hour removing it and drive around for a couple days. If you dont like it put it back on. but if i were to guess, i doubt you will put it back on.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
the only big con i can see is the high speed "death wobble" that can occur when you remove the sway bar and the vehicle sways back and forth uncontrollably resulting in a flip, made famous by jeeps. Hard to stop and correct once it starts.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
MattDriver is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MattDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Not a good idea!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyz View Post
Everyone on here failed to recignize that you do have a 6in lift with an aftermarket suspension.
Well shit. With 6 inches of lift you know he isn't wheeling hard enough to need the sway bar removed.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I removed mine. You can tell a difference but I dont drive my truck like a sports car so it doesnt bother me and you get more love from the suspension w/o it.
x2
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post

The insurance argument is nonsense. Nearly everything we do to modify these trucks ultimately makes them less safe. Bigger tires, lifts, added weight, bumpers, can all potentially affect vehicle safety. Unless you do something illegal to your truck, insurance is no issue.
Question: So if your car doesn't have the air bags in the steering wheel because someone stole them, you crash and have massive injuries, does the insurance have the right to refuse to pay since something in regards to safety (which was listed when you contracted with the company) was not there to lessen the damage?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
tragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant futuretragerbon has a brilliant future
tragerbon's Tacoma Gallery
I removed mine four weeks ago to adjust my coilovers, I can feel the truck sway a little more when I think about it, otherwise I dont really notice it.

I will be re-installing mine after a final leveling check.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine off because it was rubbing my strut. I can't tell a difference on road, but WAY smoother off road.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Ditch it, made a night and day difference for me
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Wizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Greg
Wizzard005's Tacoma Gallery
Mine will be ditched this weekend.....
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard for safety purposes you should keep it on.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckw777 View Post
Hello Toy Taco world new at posting here. Can anyone give me advice on how to deal with my tires rubbing on my sway bar links? How much of a difference would removing them be?
If you want a better chance of rolling on the city streets then take it off.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Wizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Greg
Wizzard005's Tacoma Gallery
Can take it off if you have beefy coil-overs I wouldnt take it off with the stock squishy spring.../ shock