Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

From a 2nd Gen Tundra to a 2nd Gen Taco

Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Winger12003 will become famous soon enoughWinger12003 will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
Winger12003's Tacoma Gallery
From a 2nd Gen Tundra to a 2nd Gen Taco

Just curious how many people here have come from a 2nd gen Tundra to a 2nd gen Tacoma? If so state your reason for doing so ie. gas mileage ect.
My next door neighbor has seriously been looking at Tacomas and he has a 2010 Tundra which averages about 14mpg with a 3 inch leveling kit.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2nd gen Tundra.MPGs were only about 4 MPG lower than the Tacoma but the Tundra is just a huge beast.Much,much too big if you don't need a full size{super size} truck.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
RedBull
orangedevil37 is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0351 Assualtman 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines
orangedevil37's Tacoma Gallery
If i could it again i would have kept my tundra. Yeah i got less mpg but i think its abetter built and more reliable truck. I had no issue with my tundra. I get a taco and its nothing but trouble but i dont have the money to reverse my mistake dammit. Thats my 2 cents
Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Blueridge is on a distinguished road

Blueridge's Tacoma Gallery
I got rid of my Tundra DC for my Tacoma DC.
I had the 4.6L which to me was a mistake. gas mileage not much better than the 5.7L and it required alot of pedal at times, particularly in hilly country. The bed bounce, weak c-channel frame bothered me as well. I could see my bed jiggling and flexing on my dirt roads. probably not a longevity issue, but bothersome.
Biggest factor for me was the sheer size of the beast. Just too much truck for my daily needs. the Tacoma is more nimble, far easier to drive on narrow roads, easier to park etc..Plus my wife will drive it.
lastly, and of minor importance, the side profile from door pillars forward looked great- like the pug nose look. otherwise it was an ugly truck.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
PL 4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: PL
PL 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2007 5.7L 2WD. Yeah, the gas mileage wasn't great but it wasn't much worse than my DCLB 4WD Tacoma. (13-16mpg vs 15-18mpg)

I must say that I really do miss the beast, especially the interior room....and the bed size....and a lot of other things about it (like the sheer power and f'ing awesomeness of the truck). However, it was a bitch to park and I really wanted a 4WD again.

In the 20 years before buying the Tundra I only owned 2 trucks. An '88 4WD Reg cab Toyota Pickup (on 38's and later 36's) and a 2000 4WD Extended Cab Tacoma (baby truck on 31's). After being refused entry to a local beach access because i didn't have 4WD I decided I needed to go find another 4WD. A Tacoma seemed like a logical, sensible and loyal purchase. I've always loved Tacomas and I had recently fallen in love with the DCLB. In addition, it's a lot easier to build up; it's cheaper to lift and you don't need to buy huge tires to make it off road worthy.

My biggest fear about buying a new Tundra was the huge expense of replacement parts later in the truck's life. Remember, in a 20 year span I'd only owned 2 Toyotas. The thought of replacing a @20K motor or a $10K transmission years down the road scared the crap out of me!

However, I didn't realize that I'd have to take my Tacoma to the dealer several times over the past 8 months to fix stupid BS. I've had the blower motor replaced, rotors turned (still squeals), TSB springs installed, and the windshield still whistles at highway speeds. WTF? This part of Tacoma ownership has been disappointing to say the least.

Overall, am I happy with downsizing? Yes and no. I miss the power and size of the Tundra but the Tacoma is more practical and less flashy. I had thought about trading the Tacoma for another Tundra but I think I'm going to stick it out. I guess dropping a few grand on lift and tires over the past few months has changed my mind for a little while.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra to Tacoma to Tundra

Went from 2004 Tundra 4Door 4x4 4.7L V8
To 2006 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 V6 auto
Drove that for almost 5 yrs
Traded that in for a 2011 Tundra DC 4.6L V8 4x4.
I really liked my Tacoma but was able to pay less for a Tundra &
it gets the same mileage as what I was getting the taco.
Its also easier for me to tow & has some features I like.
At times I do miss the tacoma but really enjoy my truck.
Its a personal preference thing.
I really wish I bought a 5.7 CM!!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
RedBull
orangedevil37 is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0351 Assualtman 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines
orangedevil37's Tacoma Gallery
i never really ever had a issue with parking my tundra. i was used to it and knew where it would and would not fit. taco does make thing easier but im still in the tundra habbit when it comes to parking. the only real reasons i got a tacoma was, because my tundra was 2WD and the great deal the dealer was offering on the taco.