Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Fog Lights Solution!

Reply
 
Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
CherryBomb [OP] CherryBomb is offline
Junior Member
CherryBomb is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2012, #72925
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
CherryBomb's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Fog Lights Solution!

My first time post. A humble attempt to pay everyone back for the great info I have got from this board.

After a lot of research I've found a cost effective way to add fog lights to my new 2012 Tacoma. As we know the lights are different from earlier years and there is no factory fog light kit available. After some time snooping the dealership's computer I found the part numbers for the lamps, relay and switch. My truck has the fog light wiring harness installed. I suspect all 2012s have the wiring harness. I noticed the fog light connectors bundled up and zip tied underneath the headlights.

After cross checking the part numbers I found that the 2012 Tacoma fog lights are the same part number as the fog lights for 2011+ Siennas and 2008-2011+ Avalons (maybe more).

On ebay you can find OEM Style 2011 Sienna Fog Light Kits for about 115 bucks. (pictured below) You will have to discard the wedge shaped plastic trim piece that is exclusively for the Sienna. The lamp itself is exactly what you need for an OEM fit. Add the Tacoma specific relay and switch assembly and you have an OEM style 2012 Tacoma fog light kit for under 250 bucks. (Im not sure if the relay and switch included with the kit will work for the Tacoma).

Your other option is to buy the individual parts from the dealer. Its expensive, but not too bad. I'll post the Toyota part numbers and prices below for everyones convenience.

81210-08020 RH Lamp Assy $185.44
81220-08020 LH Lamp Assy $185.44
90080-87026 Relay $73.73
84160-04020 Switch Assy $54.45

Grand total from Dealer 499.06
Grand total using my method roughly 250.00

You might be able to find a less expensive, after market relay. Im just using dealer pricing.

BTW, I purchased the Blinglights kit that was supposed to be specific to the 2012. Its not at all. Lens size isnt perfect. Mounting bracket wont work and the switch looks like something suitable for a go-kart. I don't recommend it.

I haven't installed this kit yet but I will post pics once I get them installed. Judging by the part numbers, it should work flawlessly.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Fog Lights Solution!-toyotasiena2011-12oemfoglights.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,046
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Nice find!

FWIW, you can use any automotive relay to make this work. They're available cheap at any auto parts store, the only thing that changes is the wiring.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Member
ajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Feb 2012, #71964
Location: Orange County, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 86
ajan246's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
My first time post. A humble attempt to pay everyone back for the great info I have got from this board.

After a lot of research I've found a cost effective way to add fog lights to my new 2012 Tacoma. As we know the lights are different from earlier years and there is no factory fog light kit available. After some time snooping the dealership's computer I found the part numbers for the lamps, relay and switch. My truck has the fog light wiring harness installed. I suspect all 2012s have the wiring harness. I noticed the fog light connectors bundled up and zip tied underneath the headlights.

After cross checking the part numbers I found that the 2012 Tacoma fog lights are the same part number as the fog lights for 2011+ Siennas and 2008-2011+ Avalons (maybe more).

On ebay you can find OEM Style 2011 Sienna Fog Light Kits for about 115 bucks. (pictured below) You will have to discard the wedge shaped plastic trim piece that is exclusively for the Sienna. The lamp itself is exactly what you need for an OEM fit. Add the Tacoma specific relay and switch assembly and you have an OEM style 2012 Tacoma fog light kit for under 250 bucks. (Im not sure if the relay and switch included with the kit will work for the Tacoma).

Your other option is to buy the individual parts from the dealer. Its expensive, but not too bad. I'll post the Toyota part numbers and prices below for everyones convenience.

81210-08020 RH Lamp Assy $185.44
81220-08020 LH Lamp Assy $185.44
90080-87026 Relay $73.73
84160-04020 Switch Assy $54.45

Grand total from Dealer 499.06
Grand total using my method roughly 250.00

You might be able to find a less expensive, after market relay. Im just using dealer pricing.

BTW, I purchased the Blinglights kit that was supposed to be specific to the 2012. Its not at all. Lens size isnt perfect. Mounting bracket wont work and the switch looks like something suitable for a go-kart. I don't recommend it.

I haven't installed this kit yet but I will post pics once I get them installed. Judging by the part numbers, it should work flawlessly.
HUGE find bro!!

been waiting for this to be figured out!

Mad props bro!

subbed for install details and PICTURES!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Junior Member
gioangn is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2012, #71684
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
gioangn's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Fog Lights Solution!

Did you use OEM relay and switch? I would like to install the fog lights to my 2012 Tacoma. Please elaborate on how to hook up the relay. I thought the relay was included in the prewired cuircuit. This is my last upgrading. So far I added the backup camera, variable windshield wiper, cruise control, power side mirrors, alarm for keyless entry. All are working fine. Without this forum it's impossible for me to do all the upgradings myself. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
CherryBomb [OP] CherryBomb is offline
Junior Member
CherryBomb is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2012, #72925
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
CherryBomb's Tacoma Gallery
I plan to use an OEM relay and switch. The kit for the Sienna has an OEM switch and relay but Im not sure if they are gonna fit the Tacoma. Worst case I go to the dealer and buy the relay and switch. I'll post pics as soon as the kit gets here and I have time to instal it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Junior Member
myersct99 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Joined: Dec 2011, #69727
Location: Warner Robins, Ga
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
myersct99's Tacoma Gallery
Update

Has anyone done this yet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
trooper12's Avatar
Name: Spencer
Joined: Feb 2012, #73480
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA
Age: 21
Gender: Dude
Posts: 212
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
thanks cherrybomb!!

I've been searching for fog lights since the day after i bought my truck.

i just bought these off ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/400225033392...ht_3615wt_1219

they are for a camry, they are the same lights as the avalon, but for some reason they were cheaper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Member
holokai is on a distinguished road
 
holokai's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2012, #71333
Location: Honolulu
Gender: Male
Posts: 73
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper12 View Post
thanks cherrybomb!!

I've been searching for fog lights since the day after i bought my truck.

i just bought these off ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/400225033392...ht_3615wt_1219

they are for a camry, they are the same lights as the avalon, but for some reason they were cheaper.
Please let us know when you get them installed. Looks like a bunch of people have bought kits but haven't had the chance to install them yet. Would really like to see how they look. Great find!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
Joined: Mar 2011, #52916
Location: sarasota fl
Gender: Male
Posts: 279
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile fogs

do let us know how it went and remember, we like pictures!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Junior Member
gioangn is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2012, #71684
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
gioangn's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma cruise control

Finally I installed the fog light to my 2012 Taco Extended Cab. Thanks to CherryBomb for the huge finding of the fog light which will fit the 2012 model. I bought the kit as he recommended:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110776299399?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649.The relay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180771078124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649 and the switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacoma-Fog-Light-Switch-w-o-Harness-/310381448888?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item48442d0eb8

The installation was pretty straight forward. It took me about 45 minutes. The truck was prewired for fog lights. Just remove the fog light covers and replace them with the fog lights, use the same screws. The lights will fit both sides.If the letters imprinted in the front of the lights are upright, you’re good to go. There is about 1/8 inch gap between the light and its housing, I'm not sure this is normal or not; but looks nice and sturdy. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Fog Lights Solution!-sw.jpg   2012 Fog Lights Solution!-relay.jpg   2012 Fog Lights Solution!-clup.jpg   2012 Fog Lights Solution!-fog.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Senior Member
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
trooper12's Avatar
Name: Spencer
Joined: Feb 2012, #73480
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA
Age: 21
Gender: Dude
Posts: 212
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
^^

those look really good!!

can't wait to install mine, should be here in a day or two.

i will be sure to take pics
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #13
Member
holokai is on a distinguished road
 
holokai's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2012, #71333
Location: Honolulu
Gender: Male
Posts: 73
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioangn View Post
Finally I installed the fog light to my 2012 Taco Extended Cab. Thanks to CherryBomb for the huge finding of the fog light which will fit the 2012 model. I bought the kit as he recommended:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110776299399?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649.The relay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180771078124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649 and the switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacoma-Fog-Light-Switch-w-o-Harness-/310381448888?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item48442d0eb8

The installation was pretty straight forward. It took me about 45 minutes. The truck was prewired for fog lights. Just remove the fog light covers and replace them with the fog lights, use the same screws. The lights will fit both sides.If the letters imprinted in the front of the lights are upright, you’re good to go. There is about 1/8 inch gap between the light and its housing, I'm not sure this is normal or not; but looks nice and sturdy. Here are some pics:
Looks great. Did you by chance try using the switch and relay (looks like one in the picture) that came with the kit? I'm thinking if the switch fits the factory location fine I can save $40 Thanks again for posting pics!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Junior Member
gioangn is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2012, #71684
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
gioangn's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Taco fog light

No, switch and relay from the kit won't fit. You can get OEM from Ebay just a fraction of the cost of dealer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Senior Member
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
Joined: Dec 2011, #68322
Location: Edmonton,AB
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 321
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
Wait what? no fog lights? my 12'TRD DCSB came with fog lights.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Member
OzarkMK is on a distinguished road
Joined: Dec 2011, #69075
Location: Springfield Missouri
Gender: Male
Posts: 30
OzarkMK's Tacoma Gallery
post some pics when you install them
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Papa Tac's Avatar
Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Joined: Sep 2010, #43091
Location: Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
Gender: Male
Posts: 300
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Sticky!

Well done, OP!
Should be added to the 2nd Gen Mods Sticky!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Senior Member
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
trooper12's Avatar
Name: Spencer
Joined: Feb 2012, #73480
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA
Age: 21
Gender: Dude
Posts: 212
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
Finally installed them!!! i got them yesterday, and put them in a few hours ago!!

heres a link to my thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4658185
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Taco Samurai
Royce99 is on a distinguished road
 
Royce99's Avatar
Name: Royce
Joined: Nov 2011, #66462
Location: Houston
Gender: Male
Posts: 104
Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
Wait what? no fog lights? my 12'TRD DCSB came with fog lights.
Mine did too...I thought they all did.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 Tacoma Fog Light Retrofit using 02 4runner oem fog lights oscarscrx 1st Gen. Tacomas 7 10-28-2014 01:49 PM
Solution: Fix hyper blink after doing Fog Light Mod RushTacoma 1st Gen. Tacomas 16 10-17-2012 05:43 PM
Fog Lights, Fog light switch, cb antenna dbronzo 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 35 11-25-2011 09:34 PM
Fog in my BHLM.....Solution? BuckeyeBullet330 2nd Gen. Tacomas 14 06-20-2011 12:13 PM
05+ ARB Bumper with Fog Light cutouts & Fog Lights in GA wmflyfisher Buy / Sell / Trade 5 07-13-2010 12:43 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.