Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED Pods vs LED Strips?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
LED Pods vs LED Strips?

Does anybody know the differences between LED pods and LED strips.. as far as light output?

I have 10 six LED pods under the truck for rock lights. I haven't really had a chance to test them out.. hard to tell how much light they put out with all the city lights and stuff. I can barely see them on the ground.. but I'm wondering if its because of the surrounding lights taking away from the brightness, and If Im out at night, they will look bright.

I want to add more.. just not sure if I want pods again or strips.. I want more light on the ground, and more of a continuous field of light. So strips would be better for that right? And pods better for concentrated light?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Some led's are cheap and dont throw light as much, its a gamble w/o actually seeing them before you buy. My gamble paid off... I went with the strips

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
That's sweet! ^^^^^
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
One is in the form of a pod while the other is a strip.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You know whats funny.. I saw that pic in your other post in the led bar thread, and started looking again, and it made me start this thread. Lol. I wish I had pics of mine. I guess I need to test them out ph the trails first to see. But as of now, in the parking lot, I have to look under, or put my foot underneath to see If they are on.

What brand or website did you go with btw? I love how much light they put out.. I'm leaning towards strips this time, and just add to my pods already. I'm gonna go underneath the fenders and just have them follow the body lines the whole way down each side of the truck.

F off Christian. Lol
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Have fun. Here's two more realistic pictures in the form of brightness. Last pic is comparing them to a 2D LED Mag light

Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #7

Awesome thanks man! Did you end up cutting them into sections? or just run the entire think around the truck? I'd like to run them along each side from the front to rear right under the body and fender like...

_/""'\______/""'\_

Light up that entire profile on each side.. lol
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Cut them up to fit where I wanted them
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Tacoma TSS
dalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
dalesrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Some led's are cheap and dont throw light as much, its a gamble w/o actually seeing them before you buy. My gamble paid off... I went with the strips

Do these come with all the wiring and switch needed for installation?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
subbed

also -

did you run them on one concurrent strip or did you split the strips?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesrn View Post
Do these come with all the wiring and switch needed for installation?
I'm pretty sure its just the strips he got. Check the link he posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemicals View Post
subbed

also -

did you run them on one concurrent strip or did you split the strips?
He cut them up to mount where needed.

There are kits out there that come with everything you need like vision x ext.. mine did too, just the leds themselves aren't that bright. But I think im gonna order two sets of those strips (32 feet worth) and run them both down each side of the truck from bumper to bumper. Just tie Into my wires I already have ran, and done.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
I'm pretty sure its just the strips he got. Check the link he posted above.

He cut them up to mount where needed.

There are kits out there that come with everything you need like vision x ext.. mine did too, just the leds themselves aren't that bright. But I think im gonna order two sets of those strips (32 feet worth) and run them both down each side of the truck from bumper to bumper. Just tie Into my wires I already have ran, and done.
I still had about 4ft leftover. You doubling up?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #13

Well i was gonna run one strip each side from front to rear. No cutting. Just one continuous strip down the side, up In the fenders, etc.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well i was gonna run one strip each side from front to rear. No cutting. Just one continuous strip down the side, up In the fenders, etc.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #15

Quote:

Hahaha. Think it will work? That way I just have to tap into my power/ground once, and get nice even light output. ill just set them kn a bit from the edge of the fenders and body, and leave a little slack where the body and bed split.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
I have the LED Strips as my turn signals on my trucks. They are yellow. Love them!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hahaha. Think it will work? That way I just have to tap into my power/ground once, and get nice even light output. ill just set them kn a bit from the edge of the fenders and body, and leave a little slack where the body and bed split.
Yea it'll work. I want to see
Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
I have the LED Strips as my turn signals on my trucks. They are yellow. Love them!
Nice. Wanna help Alex? lol. Jk

Quote:
Yea it'll work. I want to see
Right on, I need to post some pics of my set up now. Just to get a feel of how bright they are. I'll probably take of like two or four... maybe all of them lol... And add them in the bed or under the hood. Or maybe on the front and rear bumpers to have light ALL around the truck. lol
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious what you guys used to fix the strips to the truck? The strips come with same tape that will come off after about 5 min of wheeling. I was thinking about using Zip ties or something....

Any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appljaxx View Post
I'm curious what you guys used to fix the strips to the truck? The strips come with same tape that will come off after about 5 min of wheeling. I was thinking about using Zip ties or something....

Any suggestions?
the tape will hold. I have had mine on for two years and no issue. Been 100 mph, hit things with them, bounced in the dezert, rain, AZ heat, sun and rocks and bugs.

Products Discussed in this Thread