Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sleeping platform

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Sleeping platform

Has anyone used the notches in the side of the bed to build a sleeping platform?

It seems that using some wood and the wheel wells it would be quite easy to build a platform that could be used to support a mattress while providing storage underneath the bed. Anyone given it a try?
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping platform-bed_wall.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need a center support. I used 2-2x6's layed in the notches and 3/4" plywood on top of them to make a flat area. I use mine for cargo separation but the concept is the same. It's very sturdy. I made sure to have a couple panels in the front that lift out separately in case things slide to the front of the bed underneath the platform.

Here's one like mine that's carpeted and finished off:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rks-great.html
Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Those notches are meant to accept 2x8 cross boards

Use 3/4" plywood for your platform , you should be golden
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Never Forget! 343
Bengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Bradley
Bengland25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You don't need a center support. I used 2-2x6's layed in the notches and 3/4" plywood on top of them to make a flat area. I use mine for cargo separation but the concept is the same. It's very sturdy. I made sure to have a couple panels in the front that lift out separately in case things slide to the front of the bed underneath the platform.
Looks good! i guess if you run the 2x6's you wouldnt need supports! didnt even think of that one!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
I built one and carpeted it and it works great, same idea as Pugga. I'll look for some pics..
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Has anyone used the notches in the side of the bed to build a sleeping platform?

It seems that using some wood and the wheel wells it would be quite easy to build a platform that could be used to support a mattress while providing storage underneath the bed. Anyone given it a try?
This guy did that
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rks-great.html
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengland25 View Post
Looks good! i guess if you run the 2x6's you wouldnt need supports! didnt even think of that one!
3/4" plywood doesn't hurt either. It's definitely overbuilt if you just want to sleep on it, but I use it for cargo. I've had over 1,000 lbs sitting on that platform a couple weeks ago an no failures.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Never Forget! 343
Bengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Bradley
Bengland25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
3/4" plywood doesn't hurt either. It's definitely overbuilt if you just want to sleep on it, but I use it for cargo. I've had over 1,000 lbs sitting on that platform a couple weeks ago an no failures.
wow thats crazy you have that much on there! good deal! might be going to pick up some lumber this weekend and some marine grade carpet so it will be nice and clean for camping trips
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
No such thing as overbuilding for me, 6"3 and 260lbs. I also wouldn't be sleeping back there alone. lol.

The area beneath the platform will be perfect for storing my gear/guns that I want to keep locked up while camping.

Keep the pics coming!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
I was kicking around the idea of half-a-platform Like a single bed with toats n coolers on the other half....
Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
No such thing as overbuilding for me, 6"3 and 260lbs. I also wouldn't be sleeping back there alone. lol.

The area beneath the platform will be perfect for storing my gear/guns that I want to keep locked up while camping.

Keep the pics coming!
Build it like mine and you can have a fat chick orgy back there and not break it.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
I was kicking around the idea of half-a-platform Like a single bed with toats n coolers on the other half....
maybe like this..
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Here are pics of mine:

Room underneath for storage bins

Small holes in the platform to be able to lift up the panel to get to storage bins underneath.

And the finished sleeping platform

Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Build it like mine and you can have a fat chick orgy back there and not break it.
Since you put it that way now I have to have one!

Seriously though. I haven't considered this yet, but think I should. I'm going to get a truck cap (haven't decided between ARE or LEER yet) and this would be a good addition.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
Heres one i made a while back. didn't want to kill all the space in the bed. I have a self inflatable ground pad that fits perfectly on it. I blocked the windows with felt and i sleep like a champ in the back of it. The drawer goes back to the wheel well, and i made a hatch to access behind that for more storage. I recently ditched the drawer slides because they didn't go back far enough. i put some Teflon sliders on the bottom of the drawer to let me pull it out all the way. drawer sliders for 4ft are big bucks!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
Heres one i made a while back. didn't want to kill all the space in the bed. I have a self inflatable ground pad that fits perfectly on it. I blocked the windows with felt and i sleep like a champ in the back of it. The drawer goes back to the wheel well, and i made a hatch to access behind that for more storage. I recently ditched the drawer slides because they didn't go back far enough. i put some Teflon sliders on the bottom of the drawer to let me pull it out all the way. drawer sliders for 4ft are big bucks!
I'm liking that.

Products Discussed in this Thread