1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear view mirror and camera '05 retrofit questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ppleasants, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    ppleasants

ppleasants [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Doublecab Longbed
    5100's set at 2.5", toytec AAL, DIY AUX port, broken mirror fix, temp/compass fix (twice), rattle-can gunmetal sport rims, debadged doors, fog-light anytime mod, DTRL mod, rear differential breather mod, drop in K&N air filter
    I just finished installing a tailgate camera with gentex mirror (with 2.5" screen) out of a 2009 into my '05 DCLB sport. I had all the harnesses but had to cut the long section that runs from the front of the truck to the rear because I couldn't retrieve it all. So I spliced in some 18/4 sprinkler wire to fill that section. For the mirror harness I tapped into the green wire (with white lead) and white wire (with black lead) that ran to my compass/temp display. I also tapped into the red wire (with white lead) that's beside the dead pedal for the reverse signal.

I'm new to wiring but I was very careful to make sure all splices were secure and used heat shrink on all of them, except the tapped wires.

The auto-dimer feature on the mirror works but I'm not getting anything from the screen. The parts were pulled from a salvage vehicle but everything looks to be in great shape so I think the mirror and camera should work.

Any ideas on what I could have done wrong or a way to diagnose it would be great. I can try to get pictures if that would help. Thanks

2. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    isn't the OEM camera 6v? also, did you tap into the reverse switch to turn it on or did you just wire the power up to a simple toggle so you can turn the camera on and off whenever you want?

3. Feb 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    ppleasants

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    5100's set at 2.5", toytec AAL, DIY AUX port, broken mirror fix, temp/compass fix (twice), rattle-can gunmetal sport rims, debadged doors, fog-light anytime mod, DTRL mod, rear differential breather mod, drop in K&N air filter
    From what I read on here, the 6v comes from the mirror (which I assume comes indirectly from the 12v from the white wire that I tapped into from the compass/temp display).

I ran the red/pinkish wire from the mirror harness and tapped it into the red wire with white lead by the driver door. This is what I was told to do to make it so that it will only cut on in reverse so no, I don't have a switch.

4. Feb 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    did you bench test the items prior to installing them?? When I was looking at trying to retrofit an OEM camera to use with my kenwood HU, I read it needed to be converted from 12v to 6v.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/2...tory-rear-view-camera-aftermarket-stereo.html
    Not sure if this is due to the display side or not.

I would just suggest you try and bench test it to make sure all the components are working. Good luck and let us know how it goes in case anyone else is planning this mod.

5. Mar 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    ppleasants

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    Just rechecked all my connections and it was just a faulty tap into the reverse wire. Works great now

Products Discussed in

To Top