1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spring TSB Razmatazz by dealer/ Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hophornbeam, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    Hophornbeam

Hophornbeam [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Adamant, VT, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab SR5 longbed
    My 2011 4wd Double Cab has definitely handled badly with even modest loads in the bed while helping a friend move. As in badly enough that I would be worried about needing to make sudden emergency manuvers. And by modest load I mean various odds and ends of garden tools - nothing especially massive or brimming over the side of the bed.

I found the TSB through here, and specifically saw (in the most recently revised TSB itself) that it has been expanded to include the 2011s.

So, several weeks ago, I scheduled an appointment with my local dealer. Explained the problem, that I'd learned about the spring TSB, and that I'd like it done. The person on the phone seemed familiar with the issue and in no way pushed back.

Went in today and all they did was some pad in the springs. Refused to to spring TSB claiming it does not apply to 2011s and that Toyota will not authorize it unless I show up with the truck with a load actually in it and demonstrate the specific bad handling.

I'm annoyed. I don't expect the truck to handle perfectly with a load in it but I expect it not to completely bottom out and waddle.

And I expect that when the issue has apparently been acknowledged, and I've scheduled time to deal with it during a day off, I won't be suddenly given a switch/ blame game.

Any suggestions?

2. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Sometimes it just takes persistence. I know it sucks but it took me three times to the dealer to get my throwout bearing replaced. And I see you're in Vermont so there is not alot of dealers, but maybe try another dealer. If all else fails load it up and bring a copy of the TSB with you.

3. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The TSB aren't all that anyway

4. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Go in with a load on if that's what they said it would take

5. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
  6. Feb 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    Go over the dealers head. I emailed Toyota directly after researching the forums here. Two weeks later, call from dealer saying the parts were in and make appointment.

7. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Hophornbeam

Hophornbeam [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Adamant, VT, USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone. I guess I will need to become more assertive, which I'm not shy about, just annoyed. _Very_ glad for the informational resources here.

I don't expect my Tacoma to be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton (have owned several, they have their pluses and minuses- on the whole I have liked them, a lot) but I do expect it to be able to carry what I would consider "modest homeowner payloads" without the rear axle approaching or sitting on the bump stops and without the front end/ steering feeling bizzare from the extent to which the rear has sagged under load.

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Trevor
    In no way does this tsb require you to "PROVE IT"

"Introduction
    Some customers of Tacoma 4x4 or PreRunner vehicles with Access or Double cabs may experience
    a harsh ride from the rear suspension while carrying heavy cargo in the bed and driving over bumps
    or uneven road surfaces. Updated rear spring assemblies and front and rear shocks are available to
    improve this condition.
    NOTE
    Customers should be advised that vehicle ride characteristics in an unloaded condition may
    exhibit an increase in rear suspension firmness."

All you need to do is have a complaint about a Harsh Ride.
    It burns me no end how some Dealers act like this.
    The same with the blower motor.
    You complain, there's a fix.
    Spring pads are for a squeak. Morons...................

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    huntark03

huntark03 I'd rather be hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maumelle, AR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Limited Tundra DC 4X4
    Spidertrax Wheel Spacers aFe Pro Dry Drop in Air Filter Weathertech Liners Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 885 coils and ToyTec 1.5" AALs Light Racing UCAs
    I called Toyota Corporate...got a call from my dealer in 30 minutes...

10. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Trevor, who is the dealer?
    Courtesy in Berlin did mine back in 07 no questions asked.

Also...off topic but Adamant use to have that toyota truck garage with all toyota truck boneyard. Is that still there?

11. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Hophornbeam

Hophornbeam [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Adamant, VT, USA
    Vehicle:
    Glad to be able to report that I spoke with the Service Manager at 802 Toyota (formerly Courtesy) and he was very responsive- he's ordering the parts and will let me know when they are in.

Simon's Mom- the local place/ fellow who used to deal in Toyota trucks is still there but it's no longer his focus. He moved onto Mustangs, and then into various odds and ends of low-cost used cars.

12. Mar 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    blueburban6

blueburban6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    I went to my dealer today about the rear springs. The shop foreman and service manager both told me no problem they will install the new spring pack but they said the truck is going to ride like an F350 Super Duty. Can anyone confirm/verify that while unloaded it is going to ride like a 1 ton truck? I do realise that with an extra leaf spring it will have a stiffer ride while unloaded.

13. Mar 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    aaron101

aaron101 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    buffalo
    Vehicle:
    2010 black tacoma
    a tsb is not a recall . as per yota . load that puppy till it bottoms out then take it in remember it has a very harsh ride tell em and call the 1 800 number and see what they will do sometimes better response than yota remember be nice and yes there is a sb for your ride good luck

14. Mar 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    aaron101

aaron101 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    buffalo
    Vehicle:
    2010 black tacoma
    and yes it is stiffer its not a car but not that stiff

15. Mar 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    blueburban6

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    They didnt give me any issues about swapping out the springs they just said to be sure that this is what you want because once the swap is done they cant change it back. Yes while its not a car its also not a 1 ton truck either.

16. Mar 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    just for shits and grins yesterday i made an appt with a local dealer. not the one i bought the truck from. selling dealer sux for service and do not even answer e mails. ill never go there again ( toyota of nashua ) if you go there shame on you... upon arrival this morning i explained my issues with blower motor and rear springs being a bit harsh and they wrote it all up. today they replaced the blower motor and ordered the spring parts for install later this week if they come in. no trouble or questions at all from the service dept. maybe its the dealers? the question is why do they argue at all?

17. Mar 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    blueburban6

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Same here. They did my blower motor today no questions asked. They just wanted me to be sure I was willing to give up a softer ride for the updated springs which will be a harsher ride. Since I tow a lot it is worth it for me. I use Prestige Toyota here in noth Jersey and they have been next to flawless with service so far. Even get a free car wash with every oil change. I try and use the same service rep each time I go too since I havent had any issues with him either. My first Taco came from Crestmont Toyota here in north Jersey and I would never go back there.

18. Mar 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    For the peeps who haven't done this but want to. It makes it easier to call Corporate Toyota Customer Service first and tell them you have the harsh ride TSB issue and want a case number created to track it. Then print out the TSB and go to your dealership, give them the case number and the printed TSB and they'll usually order it without question.

19. Mar 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    i had not one issue with the dealership. they didnt even question it... got my new springs today and im a happy camper again

20. Mar 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Hophornbeam

Hophornbeam [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Adamant, VT, USA
    Vehicle:
    Pleased to be able to report that the dealer installed the new TSB 4 leaf springs on Monday without further complications.

I would call the ride "more firm but better"-- one could call it a bit more stiff, and yet on the abundant potholes and frost heaves, it isn't bottoming out on the bumper stops the way that it was before, so it's firmer but less abrupt all at the same time.

Handling is _much_ improved.

If someone is saying it will ride like a one ton after the TSB 4 leaf springs, they haven't driven a one ton (I have, my last daily driver vehicle was a one ton F350).

It won't even ride like a 3/4 ton (which I have also driven).

It will just ride more like a true pickup, and less like an overly mushy passenger vehicle.

I am pleased with the improvement, although I understand what others have said that even the 4 leaf springs may be a bit under-capable for serious hauling. Perhaps someday I will add air helpers so that I can adjust to varying use.

So far I would say the TSB 4 leafs are a big improvement for what I want in a truck..

Thanks for all the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top