1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear springs- WHY _so_ wimpy?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hophornbeam, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    With a smaller ring you have smaller contact area = more concentrated pressure = more heat buildup. Aside from that every revolution of the ring spreads that load over a greater number of teeth. Thousands of these rear diffs HAVE had problems. Spun bearings, lost pinion settings, and other issues. It's old news. ECGS and other builders in the know do several things to try and prevent the problems from recurring.

As far as you not having problems, well, how would you know?? You don't know how hot your oil gets or how close you have come to cooking it. It hasn't left you walking yet, but you really don't know what the condition is in there. These things can be wounded and run for a long way.

Typically manufacturers specify differentials that are rated for the horsepower of the vehicle. If you stay within the tow rating and GVW you should not have to worry about differential temperature. The whole point is that Toyota put a differential in this truck that is way underrated for the HP. That is why it's an issue worth watching.

Bigger things to worry about? Sure, who said otherwise? A $50 gauge could save a couple thousands dollars worth of damage so why not? All it takes is a tapped hole and bit of wire.

"drive fast and take chances"?? How about drive prudently and well informed ? :notsure:

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    A little history for anyone playing the home game:

Toyota originally developed the 8" rear end in 1979 to go behind a drivetrain powered by the 22R engine, which at the time produced about ~100 horsepower and ~130lb ft (not exact numbers, I can't remember them, but they're within 10 or so).

This was also underneath a mini-truck weighing around 3000 pounds and sporting, if I recall correctly, 29 inch tires.

The 8" rear was, to put it mildly, extreme overkill for this application. You could wail on the thing all day long, but those tires and motor simply could not produce enough force to cause a differential failure.

This is how Toyota used to engineer things.

So, the years go by, and the Toyota truck becomes the pre-taco, then the 1st gen, and now our current second gen trucks. But the rear differential has stayed the same, outside of better machining processes. The basic specs are still the same.

Only now, it's under a truck weighing 4000 to 4500lbs, with a motor pushing ~240hp and 280tq (using premium gas). Also, 31in tires from factory. That's quite a bit more cowbell.

My guess is that Toyota engineers looked at the specs of the 8", talked to marketing about what percentage of their customers put their trucks through "harsh condition use", and then had a talk with management. Management decided that there was enough margin of error in the differential specs, and few enough customers used their trucks for hard work, that the warranty cost to Toyota would be less than the cost of R + D for a new rear end that would prevent those problems.

So they went with the 8" and called it a day.

Unfortunately.

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Actually some Canadian members here have got tsb springs done on their pre 07 Canadian trucks , but the TSB only applies during your original 3 year , 60 000 km warranty

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I'd say that sums it nicely. Most of the people who own these trucks won't push them hard enough to reach a failure. Even then most likely it will be beyond warrantee. The engine absolutely produces enough power to cook the differential while staying well within the rated loads. You can accept it, deal with it, ignore it, or whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact.

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Toyota 1 ton axle (under things like 6,000# motor homes) was a 8" ring gear granted not much power but a lot of stress far more so then any pickup my old 97 8" ring gear beat like a dead horse for 248K miles same old tiny gears. Due to the mass yes a larger crown wheel and pinion will run slightly cooler and yes a larger gear will have a bit more depth to it but unless you thrash your truck an 8" gear set will last as long as the truck. By the way I think the older rears were 7.5". So what is the percentage of failures 2%? And mostly lockers, strange. Is pulling a 3500# camper 75 hard enough? If you are going off road and run 35's and try to see just how much you can get away with before some thing brakes you need bigger gears but that is not what the truck was made for.

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Ford Ranger:

When they introduced their version of the 4.0 V6 they upgraded their rear axle from 7.5 to 8.8 even though it has:
    12% less HP than Tacoma
    10% less Torque than Tacoma
    11% less towing capacity than Tacoma.

By Ford's calculations that would put the proper ring size for the Tacoma at around 9".............. Must be a math error :D....What were they thinking?? :facepalm:

Perhaps a letter to Ford would straighten out their mistake. :notsure:

I'm sure they would be glad to save the money.

Damn fools :p

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    One Word.....Japanese. They think small, efficient and well small....

I did just see in the parking lot at work, a Nissan with a cargo tie down rail system like ours, however it was solid metal and for holding down more then a empty card board box.....Looked real nice....but you can have the rest of that truck!!

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
  9. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Perhaps you need to buy one that way you would not have to worry about trashing your final drive.

10. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Ray,

I can only hope for an offer like that from Toyota. I have estimates from two local spring shops to install a custom made add-a-leaf and alignment for $300. I would prefer that to Toyotas 4 leaf pack.

11. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Could easily say that in reverse regarding many of the Ranger's faults.

Let's keep this honest: The Ranger has a lot of problems, but the rear differential isn't one of them. The Tacoma has a few problems. The rear diff is one. That's all I think we're gettin' at here.

12. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Take one 9" Ford (Yeah that 9 incher) rear end, slide it under anything and it is good for 750 horsepower. That should do it.

13. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Yeah, hell I don't want a Ranger, LOL. My point was (is) that Ford recognized the need for bigger gears. I like my truck, I'm just realistic about it's faults. End of story :)

14. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    x2.

15. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    FWIW, the local independent Toyota guy tells me that the reason Toyota no longer makes motorhome chassis is because they got sick of warranty claims for rear axles. It's not that they under speced the axle for the GVW of the chasiss, it's because companies like Winnebago were putting more weight on them than Toyota intended. They were exceeding the GVW of the chassis before they were even loaded down for a trip.

16. Feb 23, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It was because the coach makers were buying rolling chassis from Toyota with 1/2 ton 5 bolt rears under them and then adding the body weight they even went as far as to weld two wheels together to make it look stronger and that made it even worse. The axles were breaking right at the hubs it was not a ring gear issue so not only did they lose the wheels they lost the brake drum too. Toyota covered the rears from 86 back all though it was no fault of theirs and supplied full floating 1 ton assemblies and at that point they refused to sell rolling chassis to any one. The last ones were sold to U Haul with one ton rears. I had one (with the one ton rear) great little motor home but with a 22RE it was the slowest thing I have ever owned!

17. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    I regress.

The toyota land cruiser truck has 11 leaf springs!!! find mostly in middle east..

Home > Products > Automobiles & Motorcycles > Automobiles > New Cars (36230)
    Language Options
    Toyota Land Cruiser pick-up Diesel 4.2L Diesel
    FOB Price: Get Latest Price
    Port: UAE
    Minimum Order Quantity:
    1 Piece/Pieces
    Payment Terms: T/T,PayPal
    Mr. Auto Spare Parts Trading

Send a Message to this Supplier
    Unverified Company
    Auto Spare Parts Trading FZE
    [ United Arab Emirates ]
    No substantiated complaints in last 90 days
    Supplier's last login time: Within 24 hours
    Contact Details
    View this Supplier's Website

See larger image: Toyota Land Cruiser pick-up Diesel 4.2L Diesel
    Add to My Favorites
    Report Suspicious Activity
    Online Showroom: 50 Products Other Similar Products from this Supplier
    Product DetailsCompany Profile
    Quick Details
    Condition: New Type: PickUp Fuel: Diesel
    Gear Box: Manual Made In: Japan Steering: Left
    Drive: AWD Brand Name: Toyota Place of Origin: Japan
    Year: 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up 4.2L Diesel: white,...
    Specifications
    Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up, Diesel, 4.2L
    Avalable in different options.

LAND CRUISER PICK UP, STD, 2 DOORS, DIESEL,
    AC,HZ, (4.2L), 4164cc, 6 CYLINDER IN LINE, OHC,135/3800,29.6/2200,
    MANUAL TRANSMISSION,
    SUSPENSION FRONT :COIL SPRINGS WITH STABILISER,
    SUSPENSION REAR :11 REAR LEAF SPRINGS
    7,225/95R16C, DUNLOP,
    AM/ETR CASSETTE PLAYER WITH 2 SPEAKERS,
    BENCH TYPE FRONT SEAT,
    FABRIC SEATS,
    SPEEDOMETER,
    CYCLONE TYPE AIR CLEANER,
    WATER TEMPERATURE METER - WIDE TYPE,
    EXTINGUISHER,
    90L + 90L FUEL TANK,
    GLOVE BOX WITH KEY,
    POWER STEERING,
    STEERING COLUMN - TILT,
    TELESCOPIC AND COLLAPSIBLE,
    3 SPOKE URETHANE STEERING WHEEL,
    ALTERNATOR,
    AIR CONDITIONER,
    HEATER,
    HALOGEN HEADLAMPS,
    FRONT FOG LAMPS,
    PAINTED REAR BUMPER,
    FRONT AND REAR MUDGUARDS,
    SPARE WHEEL CARRIER WITH LOCK,
    RUST PROTECTION - 2 AREA,
    TOWING HOOK - FR CLOSED 1 + RR PINTLE 1,
    BODY STRIPE
    For all your inquiries related to either brand new or pre-owned vehicle fel free to contact us.
    www.auto-spt.com

18111601.jpg

18. Feb 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    This is correct. They later went to a full floating design to retain the axle. It was not a ring gear issue, it was shear weight on insufficient bearing and axle housing design. The ring gears lived because the 22RE could never come close to producing enough HP to burn them up. The problem arises when an unstoppable force meets and unmovable object and the parts caught in the middle are too small. :p

Products Discussed in

To Top