Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS rant

Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
ABS rant

Over the last few months I've had 3 life threatening incidents from what I believe is/was the cause of ABS engaging.

Event #1- driving (after just making a right) down a hill and hit a ice patch. -ABS engaged and steered me into oncoming traffic.

#2-this past weekend on our way up a one way long curvy hill ABS engaged and sent me into the other lane

#3-on the way down that same road it engaged and again sent me into the other road.

Not to mention all of the times that I make a turn on slush and the engine brakes are applied thus causing me to almost come to a complete stop while traffic is right behind me.

If the ABS mod is done will the dash light come on? Who else is experiencing this? Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...dangerous.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-up-pics.html
Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
inouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shedinouk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
inouk's Tacoma Gallery
Quick fix is to remove fuse #42 (50amp ABS). Light will come on but you'll stay alive.

This is what I did.

Oh, beware, you'll have some future post here that will tell you that you drove "too fast". Or, saying that without ABS, you'll have same effect. Be prepared.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
what you're describing is a combination of ABS/ TRAC issues. I drive pretty much all the time with the truck in auto LSD mode as I've had similar experiences trying to make a turn on a wet road only to find that the Trac system cuts engine power leaving me sitting in the middle of an intersection with cars heading for me instead of me spinning and making it through the intersection...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTaco View Post
what you're describing is a combination of ABS/ TRAC issues. I drive pretty much all the time with the truck in auto LSD mode as I've had similar experiences trying to make a turn on a wet road only to find that the Trac system cuts engine power leaving me sitting in the middle of an intersection with cars heading for me instead of me spinning and making it through the intersection...
Sounds like me. Will the ABS mod eliminate this?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by inouk View Post
Quick fix is to remove fuse #42 (50amp ABS). Light will come on but you'll stay alive.

This is what I did.

Oh, beware, you'll have some future post here that will tell you that you drove "too fast". Or, saying that without ABS, you'll have same effect. Be prepared.
Thanks. That's fine.
Attached Thumbnails
ABS rant-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330010971.500756.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
most likely he wont as hes not sliding just spinning the wheels...the beeping occurs when you tilt the vehicle or its in a slide...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
Sounds like me. Will the ABS mod eliminate this?
The ABS mod would eliminate this, but you may lose all of the traction control systems. Personally I like having the trac system in snow, however I find it quite irritating most of the time so I automatically hit the VSC off button to put it in auto LSD as soon as I start the truck to eliminate the engine power being cut if the wheels spin...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
His description sounds like a VSC engagement more than an ABS engagement .

If it is VSC it will feel like an ABS engagement in the brake pedal , but will be accompanied by a beeper and dash light .
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

#2-this past weekend on our way up a one way long curvy hill ABS engaged and sent me into the other lane

For example , ABS is unlikely to occur going UP a hill as described above
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed with OZ-T, uphill and abs sounds like bs.

ABS is not really intended to make stopping distances shorter. It is intended to keep te wheels from locking up rendering your steering wheel useless. ABS cannot "steer" you anywhere as you've described. It merely let's you steer the vehicle where you've pointed the wheels.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Do you hear a beeper when this happens ?
Yes sir
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTaco View Post
most likely he wont as hes not sliding just spinning the wheels...the beeping occurs when you tilt the vehicle or its in a slide...

The ABS mod would eliminate this, but you may lose all of the traction control systems. Personally I like having the trac system in snow, however I find it quite irritating most of the time so I automatically hit the VSC off button to put it in auto LSD as soon as I start the truck to eliminate the engine power being cut if the wheels spin...
Maybe just do this in snow? But even on dry pavement if it senses slippage then it veers me into the other lane
Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes sir
Then it's not ABS , but VSC engaging .

This is a fairly common side effect of lifting , the skid control ecu thinks you are going into a roll over or tail slide condition .

As you go around a corner , the truck thinks the rear end is stepping out and tries to keep it from coming further around , unfortunately this results in you going straight on rather than turning

You can get the VSC system recalibrated at the dealer , this works for most people
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
There is a PDF file in the first post of this thread outlining the recalibration process

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=691254
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Over the last few months I've had 3 life threatening incidents from what I believe is/was the cause of ABS engaging.

Event #1- driving (after just making a right) down a hill and hit a ice patch. -ABS engaged and steered me into oncoming traffic.

#3-on the way down that same road it engaged and again sent me into the other road.

Not to mention all of the times that I make a turn on slush and the engine brakes are applied thus causing me to almost come to a complete stop while traffic is right behind me.

If the ABS mod is done will the dash light come on? Who else is experiencing this? Thoughts?

Dude, I did the disable mod last week with the blue/ yellow wire. Super easy and it turns on and off on the fly. I don't have a locker but I believe it works the same by fooling the computer.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Is this just a side effect of lifting, then? Or is it something that happens on unmodified trucks too?

If there were Tacomas wildly veering into oncoming traffic every time they cornered on wet cement or ice I can't imagine there wouldn't be a recall?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Then it's not ABS , but VSC engaging .

This is a fairly common side effect of lifting , the skid control ecu thinks you are going into a roll over or tail slide condition .
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Agreed with OZ-T, uphill and abs sounds like bs.

ABS is not really intended to make stopping distances shorter. It is intended to keep te wheels from locking up rendering your steering wheel useless. ABS cannot "steer" you anywhere as you've described. It merely let's you steer the vehicle where you've pointed the wheels.
Perhaps it's VSC then?