Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

homebrew slider

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
MJTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
MJTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question homebrew slider

Have searched, but have not seen anyone just take a 2x4 or 2x6 steel beam, weld four square 2 " tubes to the 2" side, position it under the door sill and weld it to the frame. Seems like this would give a strong simple slider that would work well as a step. Would this just be really heavy, ugly or would this be alright? Don't want to spent money and time on a project if someone has been there, done that and hated it...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
It would be extremely heavy My sliders are 2" .120 x68" square and 1 3/4x85" Dom tube they weigh in at around 100lbs for both I can't imagine what 2"x4"x90" would weigh close to 200-220lbs maybe... It would be strong that's for sure.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
MJTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
MJTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense on the weight factor, got me wondering just how much the Demello rock crushers weigh given they use two rows of 2x2 tube...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure they aren't light by any means. 2x4 will likely cost more than 2x2 it's your call honestly.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Look at some of the pics in my build thread for my sliders and see what I did. I've made a few sets so far and they have held up very well.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-finally.html