1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

May like to see this...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Viper-2, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Jul 12, 2007 at 9:38 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 [OP] Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
  2. Jul 12, 2007 at 10:18 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    this is way to cool! we can see how our babies are born! Awesome!

3. Jul 13, 2007 at 8:59 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    That was great, thanks Viper, oh and by the way welcome to TW.:)

4. Jul 13, 2007 at 10:08 AM
    Mat-taco06

Mat-taco06 2006 Double cab TRD Sprot

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Viper alarm system w/ Remote start, Eclipse AVN5435 DVD/Navig system with Audiovox Backup Camera,09+ Tailgate Handle, Audiovox Head Rest units, EBC brake rotors, Weathertech Floor Liners, Power Inverter in Cabin
    Awesome! great post, I have a friend that works on the Toyota plant Here in Fremont CA. I asked him to take me on a tour one day, Hope it to be soon though. I can't wait now after seen this post! :thumbsup:

5. Jul 13, 2007 at 11:30 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    This is a GREAT thread! Good job! :D

6. Jul 13, 2007 at 1:59 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw, viper! great post indeed!

7. Jul 13, 2007 at 9:14 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    too cool. i love my nummi

8. Jul 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. I suppose I'm an anomoly...I am posting here without even owning a Tacoma...yet.

Back in 2005 I drove one of the new Tacomas. I fell in love with it. I have owned many cars and one pickup (A Nissan Frontier) and I drive them until they are pretty much dead. I have loyalty for what I drive & take care of it forever.

But something moved me to finally buy a new truck (first new vehicle I've ever owned). I actually never even test drove the 2007. I took one look at it, remembered the 2005 and put in an order for one. Mine arrives on the 21st of this month (it was a special order).

I always like to do a lot of research on what I buy. But in Consumer reports magazine it says the Tacoma was built in Mexico. I started finding some things online which contradicted that. So I did some research and found those links on this post.

It was nice to see someone still saying what I knew already, the Tacoma is still the best truck. I was really tired of hearing about the Honda Ridgeline.

I have nothing against Hondas, they are great cars and my motorcycle is a Honda. But, that frickin Ridgleine is the ugliest thing I've seen in a vehicle in a while. :eek: I'm not a superficial guy but i wouldn't drive that ugly thing if you paid me.

So...here I am. :eek:

9. Jul 14, 2007 at 3:55 PM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Double Cab PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Sport
    Tube steps, Toyota Bug Shield, Lund Tonneau
    Some of the trucks are built in Fremont, CA, others are built in Mexico. You'll need to check the VIN number of the exact truck you are interested in. If the first character of the VIN number is "3", then it is indeed Mexican built. The US built models will probably either have a 5 or a 1 as the first digit.

10. Jul 14, 2007 at 10:30 PM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    You see now I have not been able to find evidence of that anywhere. I have seen that "3" on some sites states it is made in Canada. The trucks seem to be only built in the US (CA) and the truck beds are made in Mexico. This is what I am finding everywhere, anyone else see otherwise please link me to it. you are right about the 5 & 1 (mine has a 5). Here is a line I got from an online review site:

"The second generation Tacomas are assembled in Fremont, California while only the beds are built in Mexico."

Perhaps this only applies to the new gen tacomas, maybe a portion of the pre 2005 models were built in Mexico? Not sure.

11. Jul 15, 2007 at 8:57 AM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    My 2007 DC Tacoma was built in Mexico. First digit of VIN is 3. You may nt find that VIN info on a Toyota related site. VIN numbers by law, follow a certain way that they are made up. The first 3 digits of the VIN number are called the world identifier, and basically identify the country of origin and the manufacturer. I' m not sure where to find a breakdown of the VIN numbers, maybe NHTSA or DOT, but I used to have a chart with that info when I worked at the last auto dealership, but I don't have that info anymore. This link will decode a VIN number if you have one.....
    http://www.pronto-net.com/vin_app/vin.php

By the way, vehicles made in Canada have a "2" as the first digit.

12. Jul 15, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Thanks for the insight brother, I appreciate it. Great site link... Thanks again!

13. Jul 16, 2007 at 9:51 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Viper-2, i also hate the ridgline, it is one of the ugliest things on the road. My friend got one and i was looking at it and it beats the taco on two points. First of all, it has a nicer interior, secondly, it has a freakin cooler in the bed!!! That is the ultimate tailgate option! i would have paid alot extra for that in the Taco. BTW, the Ridgeline bed opens in two directions, that seems pretty stupid to me. I cant think of a time when i would need my tailgate to open to the side

14. Jul 16, 2007 at 1:00 PM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    I agree the storage area in the bed is really cool but yeah they are the ugliest things on the road

15. Jul 16, 2007 at 3:07 PM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Agree that the Ridgelines are ugly, but I think the new Chevy/GMC (both full size and the Colorado/Canyon) have a fair shake at pretty damn ugly. The Ridgeline might not be as bad looking if it didn't have those "flares" that run back from the cab into the bed (that angled part that slopes down towards the back....if you know what I'm talking about)....and unless I'm mistaken, the Ridgeline can only tow 5,000 lbs. The full size Chevy/GMC are more utilitarian, but DAMN....are there any parts on those trucks that aren't square/rectangular (other than the wheels/tires) ??? I'll take my Taco....at least it looks good and has some style.

16. Jul 16, 2007 at 3:51 PM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Agreed A2Mich! I imagined it without those flares (Those are for the bed so it has no wheel wells, good idea ugly results) and I think it would look pretty good.

But if I do say so...I think the Tacomas just have Character. They come out on the wheel wells just right and look like a great truck to me.

Think of the Harley Sportster. Now when people who don't know Motorcycles imagine a motorcycle most picture the Sportster as the quintessential MC. I own a Honda Shadow VT1100 but many call it a Harley when they don't know bikes.

I think the Tacoma is like that except for the recognition of name. When I see a truck I always measure it up to a Tacoma myself. So I figured hey, I need to buy a Tacoma.

I can pretty much buy any truck I want, I am not wanting for money and I pay cash. The only reason I say that is because I bought a Tacoma. I didn't spend tons because I could, I bought a Tacoma because I should. There are more expensive trucks and I am sure they may have "better" (To me much of that junk is all subjective) features. But they always lack something to me.

I paid attention very much to the reviews of the "compact" (more midsize now) pickups before I bought. I read 20 or so online and I subscribe to Consumer reports. Many of them edged out The Frontier over the Tacoma this time around (The 6 cyl double cabs). The Ridgeline won about every award there is.

But when I pay attention I see they nitpick on things I cannot understand nor do I care about personally.

First the damned seating position. I am tired of hearing about it. I have NO IDEA what they are talking about. I am fine in the seat. I LIKE the damned Seat!!:mad:

Second: It drives like a truck. Well NO S**T! It IS a truck Einstein! I Like trucks, I WANT it to drive like a truck. It bounces, oooh, sheesh!

I am looking at CR now and it says the payload capacity is small. I understand this one, if you need it then the choice is you must go with another. But I personally could give a rats ass! If i need to tow a 400' trailer I need to reconsider why I camp anyway, to get away from it all. If I need to tow tons of bricks I'll rent a frickin truck from Home Depot. if I do it everyday I'll buy a Ford and still own a Tacoma because I don't like the fact that I'll have to buy a Ford every 3 years because they break down so much. I owned 3 Fords...never again.

And what's up with that stupid review of the Frontier and Tacoma on Youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKw2hX6xShc

Fact is that the Tacoma whipped the Frontiers ass in every category but the seats (which I still cannot understand) and they gave it the winning position at the end. Watch it, it makes no sense.

Well, sorry everyone. I didn't mean to vent and turn this into a dissertation. But I suppose I needed it.

I get My Taco Saturday.:D

17. Jul 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Okay, just watched the Vid... and all I have to say is... complete.. BULL SH*T!... I just don't get it.. the Tacoma did great in all areas... and the frontier didn't... but the frontier still one.. I felt like the whole time they were talking about both truck... they prefered the frontier the whole time.. it was almost like they had an issue with the Tacoma..from the start!
    F**K Edmonds! LOL

18. Jul 16, 2007 at 6:31 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    lmao.. the nissan measured up to the tacoma, WTF ? it didnt in that video. and the nissan better have good seats. useful for crying while stuck in the sand. and that was 2005 anyway

19. Jul 17, 2007 at 2:59 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Well said Viper, i researched Tacomas for about 4 months before i bought and read everything i could find on the web. One report bashed the interiord design, stating that the two toned dash looks good and is going to be popular now, but that that look is a fad and in a few years the two toned dash will look dated and out of style. WTF!!! No-one bashes a Versachi (sp) dress on the red carpet cause it's "in style now but would be out of style 4 years from now". That was one of the dumbest comments i have heard about our trucks. 10 years from now if i pick up my buddy from the side of the road cause his 3 year old Ford broke down and he gets in and mentions that my dash looks "dated", i'll just kick his ass out and tell him to have fun pushing his truck home! there, i just solved the "dated" dash problem once and for all!

20. Jul 17, 2007 at 4:50 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    You wouldn't let a friend drive a Ford. Friends don't let friends drive Fords. ;)

You are right though - That is about the dumbest critique of a truck I have ever heard. (Right next to the Edmunds Video above - WTF?)

Products Discussed in

To Top