LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interesting roof rack idea???

Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting roof rack idea???

I know some people have asked in the past about a roof rack crossbars that use the factory holes under the ditch moldings. Check this kit out--it seems like it would work on the Tacoma, and the feel could probably be adapted to to bolt onto the existing holes instead of drilling and doing the rivets.
http://www.whispbar.eu/cars/toyota/h...b4doorute-3547
www.whispbar.ca/instructions/fittingkits/K544.pdf
What do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
exspensive and they hook to your door frames. i see paint scratching there. that is unless the ones that fit the hilux fit the taco too. then add shipping from europe.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima sells these in North America. About $100 more than the "regular" Yakima rack with round bars.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/baserack/whispbar-s7-flsh

EDIT: May have misread your post. You are thinking about just ordering the Hilux mount kit from Europe? It won't be an expensive mistake if it doesn't work.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was just looking purely at the way they mount using the holes in the roof ditch and how they show to trim the molding--not the type of mount that goes into the door frame. I have had the factory rack on my previous truck and although it looks good, it would be nice to have the strength of thule type bars (along with the ability to use all of the compatible parts) with a permanent type of mounting. Copy and paste the pdf address (www.whispbar.ca/instructions/fittingkits/K544.pdf) to see what I am talking about.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
They list them on the yakima site as available for the 2012 Tacoma and they are available in the US. They look good to me. I've been looking at roof racks and this looks like the best I've seen so far as long as you want to commit to the permanent install. I'm not a fan of the door frame hooks and if your not going to have a cap with a rack these look like a good option. I just wish they came in black.
http://www.yakima.com/shop/baseracks
Old 03-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Mr Souc is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Mr Souc's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna have to check in on this one. I have been wondering the same thing myself for some time. I have the OEM rack and I am not sure I trust it.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
montana slim is on a distinguished road
montana slim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
if your not going to have a cap with a rack these look like a good option. I just wish they came in black.
http://www.yakima.com/shop/baseracks
I agree! Wish these came in black as well. I am actually debating whether or not to install the standard Thule/Yakima rack or these Whispbars on a Snugtop canopy that I recently ordered. On paper, they seem to fit the bill as they have the same weight capacity and are compatible with most accessories that I would need. My big question is if they make a proper width crossbar to fit the rail system on the canopy.

If they came in black AND they fit the rails, it would almost be a no-brainer.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
Squirrellydw is on a distinguished road

Squirrellydw's Tacoma Gallery
very nice but I hate the idea of drilling in my roof
Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Whispbar was a euro company that Yakima bought to get an aero bar to compete with Thule's aero lineup. Only problem they found was only about 5% of their existing racks fit the aero Whispbar. That was a couple years ago so I'm sure they've increased their rack options since.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
MTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to behold
Army: 10th MTN DIV
Name: Matt
MTNmann's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MTNmann
I put a thule base rack on my truck bed and absolutely love it. I can put ski, bike, or a basket on the back. It can easily come off if i need to get larger items into my bed, other wise it locks in place. Works great! Let me know if you have questions and I can let ya know how I did it.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
cmoschip is on a distinguished road

Name: Robert
cmoschip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNmann View Post
I put a thule base rack on my truck bed and absolutely love it. I can put ski, bike, or a basket on the back. It can easily come off if i need to get larger items into my bed, other wise it locks in place. Works great! Let me know if you have questions and I can let ya know how I did it.

Do you have any pictures of your rails that show more detail?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
MTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to beholdMTNmann is a splendid one to behold
Army: 10th MTN DIV
Name: Matt
MTNmann's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MTNmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoschip View Post
Do you have any pictures of your rails that show more detail?
I don't have any pics with more detail at the moment, but i might be able to get some later. I used the rails on my Roll-n-Lock cover to attach the base rails from Thule. I attached a link to the rails I used. They are pretty easy to attach...just drill some hole and some light metal fabrication. Let me know if you have any more questions.
http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...cks-with-bolts
Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #14
Lchap12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lindsay
Lchap12's Tacoma Gallery
Thule ski rack help?

Yo man, I just bought a similar set up. How did you install the rails on the bed of the truck with the plastic bed liner on the sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNmann View Post

Products Discussed in this Thread