Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

NOOB Tacoma owner question

Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Vikinglord is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Vikinglord's Tacoma Gallery
NOOB Tacoma owner question

Hello all. I have always driven Toyota pickups, but this is my first Tacoma and first Toyota V6. I picked it up from a private seller who bought it new in 2005. The truck is an 06 and only has 50K miles on it, and he has records of all regular maintenance done by the dealership. He has a work vehicle and was over in Afganistan for a couple of years, so the mileage is so low. The truck runs and handles great. Not one scratch or chip in the paint and the interior is pristine. The owner REALLY took care of this truck.

But when I listen into the driver side fender well, I hear a consistent ticking noise. It is not loud, but sounds like the lind of tick you hear if the truck was low on oil, a clogged oil filter, or a stuck lifter, just not nearly as loud. The oil is full and looks good. The owner told me it has always sounded like that since he bought it, (I believe him, he is also US Army),and with the completely consistent maintenance record, I would think the dealer would have noticed that sound and fixed it.

Is this normal for a V6 Tacoma? I would think if it were an engine issue, the rhythm would not be so consistent. I am planning to get the oil changed tomorrow, but wondering if I am just not used to newer Toyotas.

Here it is:

Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
All 2nd gen V6 tacomas do that. Nothing to worry about. Nice truck!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Asterisk is on a distinguished road

Asterisk's Tacoma Gallery
Normal
Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Vikinglord is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Vikinglord's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks gang!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Tick is normal bud!

It seems to not only affect our V6s, parent's new tundra has a tick too on the 5.7L.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Turn your stereo up bro...
Welcome