1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SKNKWRX58, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My Dakars have sagged 1/2" over 8 months with my 200lb cap full time and some heavy firewood loads

I don't think I would get the standards for constant loads , but I may be wrong .

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    SKNKWRX58

SKNKWRX58 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    BFG A/T 265/75/16,w/locks Snugtop rebel; carpeted w/drop&slide,cstm wire harness switched&fused w/quick connect/,turnbuckle gate secure, gate anti thief mod DeeZee bed mat, Maglight,extinguisher Quickfist mount mod OME suspension w/Nitocharger Sport-f/r,OME leaf pack,timbren bumpstops in rear,U-bolt flip,885 coils,Camburg uni-ball UCA's, & Powerslot rotors,Hawk pads,7 pin relocate,K&N drop in. Wheelers Stainless brake lines, Rear diff. breather relocated to bed cubby,DTRM Future additions- ABS mod (soon), new 16" or 17" wheels km2's (maybe) or similar,wet okele's,thule/yakima type sys,cb/ham,and then we'll see?? poss sell the house live in the truck.
    So a king/ fox type coil over up front and a 5100 with a leaf pack in back would give me good on and off road performance?
    How would a set up like this compare to the formentioned OME application
    What about UCA's do I need them would it be benificial?

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I understand, but the APs seem to be way underrated IMO. I've had 1000# of wood in my truck and they went down maybe 2". My ride is very firm but I like that. The stock rear weight is around 1500. That would put his weight at around 2000#, 700# under mine. According to AP, the standards are rated 300 to 400 under the expos. That's why I recommended them.

I have not run the standards though, so I'm basing the recommedation on my experience with the expos, but I could be wrong too :) I think, from what I've heard, that the Dakars are rated closer to what they actually claim.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Interesting .

I'm planning on adding the OME AAL , the d29xl .

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    If you keep with a 2" lift you'll avoid several potential problems, and yes the stock UCAs are fine for that. OME stuff is great, especially for the cost. My biggest issue with it is that it is not adjustable. These IFS suspensions are sensitive to the ride height and being able to adjust the preload to get the ride height you want is a big aid in tuning and avoiding trouble. It gives you flexability with regard to future mods, and it gives you a way to adjust for sag over time. The back is not so sensitive, but the one thing you need to make sure of there is that the components you get are designed to maintain stock pinion angle. Otherwise you'll be the same boat as a lot of others with vibrations that can't be fixed with a simple carrier bearing adjustment. One reason I like Ap spring sets is that they do maintain proper pinion angle. They also have a torque leaf that seriously reduces axle wrap.

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    That's kind of the hell of it, is that you can get the right set and then over time they sag. It remains to be seen where mine go over time. Eventually, I'll be looking at ways to drop my rear weight a bit though. A lighter cap perhaps? My springs are a few months old and I've worked them pretty hard. They have only settled 1/8" since I installed them!

7. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    SKNKWRX58

SKNKWRX58 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Oak Park,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    BFG A/T 265/75/16,w/locks Snugtop rebel; carpeted w/drop&slide,cstm wire harness switched&fused w/quick connect/,turnbuckle gate secure, gate anti thief mod DeeZee bed mat, Maglight,extinguisher Quickfist mount mod OME suspension w/Nitocharger Sport-f/r,OME leaf pack,timbren bumpstops in rear,U-bolt flip,885 coils,Camburg uni-ball UCA's, & Powerslot rotors,Hawk pads,7 pin relocate,K&N drop in. Wheelers Stainless brake lines, Rear diff. breather relocated to bed cubby,DTRM Future additions- ABS mod (soon), new 16" or 17" wheels km2's (maybe) or similar,wet okele's,thule/yakima type sys,cb/ham,and then we'll see?? poss sell the house live in the truck.
    Fantastic Info
    I've got some serious choices ahead
    Thanks to all for their input

8. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Luckily there are some really great choices for these trucks. I can tell you that a good after market suspension will transform the way the vehicle feels. You don't need to spend the money you quoted either. You'll have money left over for other improvements like maybe an ARB locker. That would be a serious improvement for your occasional boony trips.

Products Discussed in

To Top