Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Suspension Upgrade

Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
SKNKWRX58 is on a distinguished road

SKNKWRX58's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Suspension Upgrade

So Ive got a bone stock(except for tires) and a few non-drive train related add ons; 09 access v6 4x off road. I want to upgrade the suspension.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 3" coil over swap w/ uca's in the front, and shock and new leaf packs in the rear.
Just some related info...
I carry about 200-300 lbs in the bed constantly
Ive got a shell
I live and work in the concrete jungle but like to get away to the high country and off the road when the urge/ need arises
From research alone I've become familiar with the popular brands available and have read a number of posts on the matter but never submitted my own.
So yeah I just turned 40, how I'll never know but I did ( a young 40) I'm a weekend warrior at best and value the $ or whats left of it anyway, and want to hook up my rig with some reliable, reputable, gear that can enhance the offroad enjoyment and funtionallity of an all ready Awsome Truck!
Sorry for the leanth of this post
Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKNKWRX58 View Post
As for the budget I think between 2500-3500
Including wheels / tires ?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Full OME suspension with Dakars and Desert Products UCA. Plate bumper. Sliders. Warn M8000. New front skid. That and some recovery gear and you are good for a while. That is all inside your budget MINUS wheels and tires. Sure you can get King bypasses all around and custom Deaver pack but will you use it? Its for highspeed wheeling only. The OME is just as capable for trails.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
RockRescue is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
RockRescue's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers . good company and right up the road from me . I have only heard great things about the OME products
Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I would get a good coil over for the front. Keep the front lift to 2". Forget the UCA. If you get additional add ons later this set-up can be adjusted. All-pro standard leaf pack in the back with 27" 5100's. Way inside your budget and a great setup.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was looking into the expiditions for my current and poss. load?
The expos and OME Dakars are made for continuous loads

I was questioning this vvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I would get a good coil over for the front. Keep the front lift to 2". Forget the UCA. If you get additional add ons later this set-up can be adjusted. All-pro standard leaf pack in the back with 27" 5100's. Way inside your budget and a great setup.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
The All-pro expos can handle a ton of weight. I've got heavy sliders, a 300 pound cap, heavy tool box, In bed compressor, heavy rubber bed mat, CBI plate bumper with swing away and some heavy add ons. I'm still over 3". My rear axle weight 2,700#. The Expos are designed for loaded trucks. The standards should be perfect for the load described.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone have any preferred "good coil over" recomendations?
Which ones would be overkill for my needs?
king, fox and icon are good. Overkill is a relative thing. The better systems provide unmatched handling on the road. I don't think remote resis are over kill if you take the rig out to the boonies at all. I do a ton of ranch road driving and wouldn't want any less than the fox 2.5s I have now. You can go with a conventional shock in the back like the 5100 and be fine, but the front is better with the remotes IMO.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
The All-pro expos can handle a ton of weight. I've got heavy sliders, a 300 pound cap, heavy tool box, In bed compressor, heavy rubber bed mat, CBI plate bumper with swing away and some heavy add ons. I'm still over 3". My rear axle weight 2,700#. The Expos are designed for loaded trucks. The standards should be perfect for the load described.
You have the standards ?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You have the standards ?
No, I have the expos. If I was just 500# over stock I would have 4" of lift from them. As it is I have 3 1/4