Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Timmy
timofthehill is on a distinguished road
Name: Timmy
timofthehill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to timofthehill
Motor Swap

Hello everyone,
I was wondering what I would have to do to swap out the 4.0 to put in the 4.7 motor in my 06 Tacoma. I think in 05 they had that motor in the 4-Runners. I want more power. I love the truck and there ain't much out there for the Taco's 4.0 which sucks. I have the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N CAI and URD Maf Cal, which I should have got the unichip or the X-1. But I think I may want to put the V8 in it. Let me know what you think and if you have any info.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthehill View Post
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what I would have to do to swap out the 4.0 to put in the 4.7 motor in my 06 Tacoma. I think in 05 they had that motor in the 4-Runners. I want more power. I love the truck and there ain't much out there for the Taco's 4.0 which sucks. I have the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N CAI and URD Maf Cal, which I should have got the unichip or the X-1. But I think I may want to put the V8 in it. Let me know what you think and if you have any info.
Thanks
The 4.7 has a timing belt.Go for the 4.6 because it has a timing chain or just put on a turbo.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Timmy
Turbo or sugercharger would be more costly then the motor swap. after you install the turbo/supercharger you gotta get it tuned. I want it to pull harder when I get into without changing my gear ratio
Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
It would be easier and cheaper to get a supercharger.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Turbo or sugercharger would be more costly then the motor swap. after you install the turbo/supercharger you gotta get it tuned. I want it to pull harder when I get into without changing my gear ratio
Initial costs maybe but all of the fab and electrical work would easily surpass the cost of a supercharger.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Timmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
No.
Long Tube headers, will they screw up my emissions testing up here in Canada? The truck shouldn't fail with just 2 cats?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Long Tube headers, will they screw up my emissions testing up here in Canada? The truck shouldn't fail with just 2 cats?
The truck will not fail on two cats if you purchase an O2 sensor simulator along with your headers.

And unless you plan on doing the swap by yourself, you can plan on spending way more than a supercharger with a tune.

If you're going to do a swap just do the 5.7 and replace the whole powertrain.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Timmy
Quote:
The truck will not fail on two cats if you purchase an O2 sensor simulator along with your headers.

And unless you plan on doing the swap by yourself, you can plan on spending way more than a supercharger with a tune.

If you're going to do a swap just do the 5.7 and replace the whole powertrain.
what do you think about this Intake spacer product? I just saw it. Maybe put that on with unichips headers and programmer?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you could just buy an older mid-size tundra with a v-8
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Timmy
ya I could, but it there is ways to make that 4.0 really perform, then I'm all for it. its a great motor. My truck has gone to hell in back. with it lifted and all I took it through everything I came across.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what do you think about this Intake spacer product? I just saw it. Maybe put that on with unichips headers and programmer?
Well everyone is hoping and waiting for confirmed gains down low in the RPM range.

Unichips blow. Get the ECU-3 from URD or the programmer they are running with their superchargers now (I forget the name).
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Timmy
Quote:
Well everyone is hoping and waiting for confirmed gains down low in the RPM range.

Unichips blow. Get the ECU-3 from URD or the programmer they are running with their superchargers now (I forget the name).
I have that Maf Cal from them, but I'm not to happy about it. I wish it was as good as everyone talks about it. keep me info about that inatake spacer. I was told throttle body spacers don't do much at all.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Wyatt (if you don't know who Wyatt is, GTFO) is swapping in the 4.7 into the Beast currently so I'd contact him & see what he says, if you're serious about doing it