Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spider Gears / Diff question

Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Spider Gears / Diff question

i have obtained an extra carrier and ring and pinion for my truck. i got it cheap because it had a broke spider gear. i have now also obtained some replacement spider gears. is this something i can attempt on my own? how are these gears held in the carrier? also, once i get this done what is the best way to store this since it is my just in case replacement? i don't want it to get surface rust or anything like that. right now i just poured some gear oil over it and wiped all the components down with a rag and put it in a box. i'm sure there is probably a better way that i don't know of.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
No real way for anyone to know whether it's something you can attempt. Some people shouldn't attempt an oil change . You aren't in any hurry so it might be a good chance to learn how. I doubt it would cost much to send it to one of the good gear houses and have it professionally done either.
As far as preserving it, one of the best preservatives is LPS #3. You can buy it in an aerosol can. It sprays on and when dry leaves a heavy waxy film that will protect the metal for many years. You can clean it off prior to installation easily too.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
The hard part is setting up the pinion and carrier into the 3rd and getting proper preload, backlash, and gear contact. If you're just setting up a stock open carrier with two spiders (not sure what comes on your truck) just drive out the pins holding the cross then drive out the cross, inspect everything for wear, and reassemble with new spiders and thrust washers. If it's a 4 spider carrier separate the carrier halves, mark everything, reassemble with new parts, torque to spec.

Edit: I think you probably have the 4 spider carrier, mark the orientation of everything, pull the halves, mark all the spiders and cross and orientation of cross replace what needs replaced, inspect for wear on the inside of the carrier and the thrust washers and spiders and cross, reassemble and torque to spec

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/03700610.pdf