1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing weld-on sliders?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomalex, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    How would one go about this?
    Tools needed?
    Experience needed?

Should I take it to a 4x4 shop and have them do it?

Discuss..

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    Sounds simple enough. I would like to do it in a manner that doesn't damage them, as I will be transferring them over to another Tacoma, or selling them. Would a guy who has never used an angle grinder (other than for cutting hardy backer) have any trouble? I'd like to stray away from cutting into my frame..

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You'll have to take it slow and whoever re-installs them will need to take their time setting up the ends to ensure they are level and properly attached.

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    wow i hope to never have to do this...............i never thought about "what if i get rid of the tacoma" part. guess im keeping this for a long time

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I'll make sure whoever reinstalls them gets everything just right :thumbsup:
    and wolfpack that's probably what I'll end up doing. It will make everything alot less of a hassle on my part.

does the brunes abide? haha

6. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    It all depends on the sliders your removing if you were removing mine you wouldn't be able to get a grinder on the top of the frame plate without damaging the frame plate. The best way would be a plasma cutter and a gouging nozzle to blow the weld out. Removing weld on sliders and still having the frame plates usable will be hard but you can get them off without damaging the frame. if your careful you would never even know sliders were installed on the truck.

I would go with Wolf pack's plan and leave the frame plates on the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top