1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another tonneau question

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by gusher, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    gusher

gusher [OP] SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Looking to replace my Access roll-up tonneau cover. I don't really like the adjustment system on the Access cover and am wondering if anyone else has had any issues with it?

The system uses a threaded rod that runs through the grey adjusting "nut" and snaps into a black bracket that holds the cover in place. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

What happens with mine is that the rod and nut slide out of the black retainer and the cover loses tension. I have to roll it up and snap it back into place. This has happened probably a dozen times over the last year or so.

I like the looks of the self-adjusting system used on the Truxedo covers and am thinking of going with one of those. I do, however, use a bed divider and my cleats so I don't want to lose those due to a tonneau cover that's too low-profile. Can anyone verify that the Truxedo LOPRO clears the rails?

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    What model Access cover is it? It may very well be covered by the warranty that goes along with certain models. Give Access a call to check out the possibility, 800-233-4655

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    gusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Hey Scott...not sure what model it is. The back says Access Roll-up on it but I don't see anything else like Vanish or anything like that. Like I said, I bought it used so I'm really not sure.

Any way to tell which one it is???

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    By that tensioner, its either a Roll-up or the Lorado. Roll-up is about 1.5" above the rail, the Lorado is about 1". Both are Lifetime. Also, I put the wrong # 866-414-5422

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    gusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    Looks like mine's an Access Roll-up. I spoke to them this morning and sent some pictures so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the heads-up on the warranty! :thumbsup:

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    gusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    Well, they called me back and are going to send me new tensioners, new velcro rails, and new fabric all for $40.00 to cover shipping. I think that's pretty amazing and am very happy. Cover is from 2005 and I bought it used. Props to Agri-Cover! :thumbsup:

And thanks, Scott, for the heads-up! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Great!!

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I've heard that Access is a great company and takes really good care of their customers. I really want one, probably the Limited but am considering the Lite Rider for the price difference. So can you honestly say if you increase mpg's when using the cover?

9. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    ehhhhhh ... Mythbusters did a whole thing on covers. I think it was a few tenths of a mile if I recall.

10. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Mr Hyde

Mr Hyde 3rd Taco's a charm

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD O/R 4x4
    TRD Catback, Rugged tri-fold Tonneau, Bed Extender, Tint, Ventshades, BFG ATKO's, and more to come.
    Any added mileage is a nice bonus, I personally like the protection that tonneaus provide from the weather. It quiets down the ride as well. For me, a cover is a necessary addition to a truck. BTW, I have a Rugged Cover, trifold, which is awesome. I'm loving it more and more every day.

11. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    In calm weather, yes. In heavy crosswinds that easily blow away the 'bed bubble', the tonneau easily gives 2-3 mpg. Plus the bed doesn't steer the truck anymore.

I can't figure out how the tensioner would come apart like that looking at mine, but the Literider has a somewhat different assembly.

12. Mar 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    gusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    Well, good to their word, my new cover, tensioners, and velcro came today...I could not be more pleased!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Access FTW!!!

[​IMG]

13. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    radysha

radysha Active Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab TRD Black
    looking at getting one of these covers, does it allow the original rails to function properly or did you have to remove them? thanks.

14. Feb 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    My '08 came with the Limited from Access , wouldn't go with anything else and love it . The mounting rail system installs behind the factory tie-down rails so it all works together nicely .
    Sarge

Products Discussed in

To Top