1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Capability

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Alloutdrs1, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 Tacoma 4x2 TRD off-road with tow pkg. Went and test drove last night and really like the truck, my question is can this truck tow 4-5k with ease? I have a S10 that i take to shows and once a year i go to Carlisle, P.A. which is 347 miles away and would like to be able to tow that truck with the Tacoma. I really have no need for a fullsize since that is the one time a year i would make that trek. I have always been a Chevy guy currently own a Colorado and as of late she is just giving me to much trouble, just went through pcm issues recently. So off to toyota i go and with gm going bankrupt and the government bailing them out my wife is against supporting them anymore. I have browsed these forums and have not come across to many posts where people have issues with these trucks, so looks like i can look forward to something that's not going to give me issues when it shouldn't!

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    With the tow package, yes, it'll tow between 4 and 5k lbs. A good weight distributing hitch and brake controller will make the ride much more controlled.
    I'm sure if you search around this forum long enough, you'll come across some issues people have had with the leaf springs in the past (nothing serious, they just tend to flatten out quickly). If you plan on towing heavy with the Tacoma, after a couple years you should plan on using Timbrens or air bags to help with the weight.
    Take a look through this thread to see what people are dragging around with their Tacomas:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/27460-show-us-what-you-tow.html

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Wow some good stuff in that thread, looks like i should be plenty fine! The trip is all flat terrain on the interstate so looks like i wont have an issue. The Colorado's have the leaf spring issue to, i saw there is a tsb for it, do the 12's come with the new leaf springs? I forgot to look last night when i was at the dealer. Also forgot to mention I'm looking at getting the double cab which was very roomy, i was surprised. My colorado was pretty good to me but as of late things are breaking that shouldn't and I'm at 80k on an 05 which isn't bad. Just recently i had the wires that run inside a loom from the cab to the rear extended cab doors all break! This of course caused an airbag light and luckily i could track the source down and fix it. Then last week my truck just shut down throwing a P0601 internal Rom memory failure, couldn't keep it running for more then 50ft. Finally disconnected the battery and i haven't been able to duplicate it since. But now my wife doesn't trust the truck and when she lost confidence in it, that means time to go. She has always been the Toyota driver and has good luck with her cars so she got me to go look at the Tacoma. Glad i did because i really liked it, and hopefully she wont have issues for me like i have now with my current truck.

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Of course, the truck will slow down a bit while climbing hills with a load behind, but not intolerably - especially for occasional trips. Gas consumption will obviously increase as well. Beyond that, you'd be amazed at what people are lugging around behind their Tacomas. As Mike said, just make sure to use a weight distributing hitch and brake controller.

As for the leaf spring issue, the judge is still out on the 2012 models. Toyota's older TSB doesn't exclude the 2012, so you can always use that if it becomes a problem. However, most recommend air bags or similar since that doesn't make the ride stiffer or raise the rear of the truck when not towing.

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm not 100% sure about the 2012 but I believe the TRD Sport has the 4 leaf pack and the other models still have 3 leafs. Take a look at the rear suspension when you're at the dealership and count the leafs including the thick overload leaf.

Just so you know, even the TSB 4-leaf pack wasn't the greatest. It did a lot better than the 3 leaf pack but still eventually wore out. If you don't tow very frequently, it might do fine for the life of the truck, just throwing it out there so you know what you could potentially have to deal with at some point.

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    The 2012 TRD Off-Road has a 3-leaf pack. Well, at least mine does. However, they're supposed to be a bit improved. Again, we'll see how they hold up over time and/or under loads. Many still think they're not up to par, while others disagree. Regardless, the issue is fixable, either with the TSB or air bags.

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    The V6 with tow package is rated at 6500lbs, I am sure you will have no troubles towing a S10 around! Those things can't weight much more than 4500lbs I wouldn't think.

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    I tow 4000 lbs. all the time with mine (car + trailer) without any trouble. I have a 4x2 TRD package with the three-leaf spring package. Toyota wouldn't cover the TSB on the springs for me so I just added a set of these: http://www.hellwigproducts.com/?s=EZ-550. Cost me less than $80 and they only work when the truck is loaded (doesn't affect empty ride at all.)

Ray

9. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I'm on the road towing for months out of the year, mostly in the western states where grades are always a factor. My trailer/cargo is about 3500#. If I had any more weight to tow I would get a Tundra. The Tundra gets better fuel economy, has tons of power, stronger drivetrain. It's a much better tow vehicle. On flat highways, occasional use, 4500 would be Ok on a taco I guess. I would never hook 6500# to my truck and get out on a highway :rolleyes:

10. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the helpful information! Seems the the Tacoma will be able to tackle my needs without a problem, my s10 is only 3100# so i see no issue there. Looks like I'm going with a 4x4 now, 4x2 TRD sport or off-road package with tow package does not exist in my area. All the 4x2 i have found or looked at do not have the tow package.

11. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    I picked my new Tacoma up tonight!!! Really excited about this truck, ended up with a dcsb 4x4, Magnetic gray, Trd off-road and tow package. I will get some pictures up soon!

12. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    congrats...you will love your yota!

13. Mar 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    HRDTACO

HRDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner DCLB
    to come!
    nice on the new truck! and for what its worth my 2012 came with the TSB leaf pack... 2012 DC LB Prerunner SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top