Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Check your motor mounts

Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Check your motor mounts

starting to show up more. it's been known on 05's but there is an '06 now having frame failure issues on the motor mount. toyota doesn't seem too enthused to make it right either.

link: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=118600
Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have been keeping an eye on this too. I may weld up a gusset or something on my mounts just to be safe.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have been keeping an eye on this too. I may weld up a gusset or something on my mounts just to be safe.
Come to Vermont on a ski vacation and weld mine?
What do I look for to keep an eye on it? thx
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Come to Vermont on a ski vacation and weld mine?
What do I look for to keep an eye on it? thx
I hate the cold! BUT, if you find yourself in the hoenix area?

Check out the link that RCBS posted. There are some pics.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
yikes man. I'm gonna go have me a look see.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I hate the cold! BUT, if you find yourself in the hoenix area?

Check out the link that RCBS posted. There are some pics.
Will do. Today is the day since it is oddly 50+ degrees here in Dec.
RCBS thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Is the cracked frame/motor mount issue mostly on trucks that go offroad?

Just curious.... but no excuse for the failures either way.
the first one I saw was an offroad vehicle. I'm not too worried about it on my mall crawler.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
the first one I saw was an offroad vehicle. I'm not too worried about it on my mall crawler.
Me either - but as soon as the weather gets better, I'll be lookin!!
Ya never know....
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #12
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
the pictures on the other thread look as though it could have happened from jumping the truck. I don't think that would just happen from regular engine torque doing normal driving. could be why Toyota won't touch it.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i would think something else would fail before a motor mount (frame, technicaly) form jumping. i've jumped a ford fiesta about 6 ft in the air a half dozen times and the only thing that kept me from going was the battery fell out and broke off the cables. no broken motor mounts. besides...no one ever wants to admit a screw up.

i'm so very hopeful that this is not going to become widespread.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
i would think something else would fail before a motor mount (frame, technicaly) form jumping. i've jumped a ford fiesta about 6 ft in the air a half dozen times and the only thing that kept me from going was the battery fell out and broke off the cables. no broken motor mounts. besides...no one ever wants to admit a screw up.

i'm so very hopeful that this is not going to become widespread.
I've had something else fail. Guess my motor mounts are next.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
colvilletacoma will become famous soon enoughcolvilletacoma will become famous soon enough
colvilletacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine have failed, never jumped my truck but I do offroad a lot. Hunting, fishing, 4bying, etc.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
OK, just bought my 05 prerunner last week. Tailgate thing, leaf spring thing now motor mounts. Not likin it. I have 12/04 production date, 50 k mileage, 4 cyl, no gussets, no apparent damage. 2nd owner so not sure what all went on before I got it. Seems to have been taken care of. The fact that this seems to be an offroading v6 issue for the most part doesn't instill much confidence. Not seeing how they can deny this is a powertrain issue when motor mounts are a vital part-whether it is the mount or the mounting points. May end up having mine gusseted anyway even tho it isn't going to be spendin much time wheelin or jumpin. Like to feel that it could take it if I do.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
A 2007 Taco owner on these forums, Snoboarder I think was his name, crawled under his truck and had a look. He found that Toyota changed the design of the mounts and added additional plating to prevent the mounts from caving in. He posted the pics, I need to find the thread. I don't think Toyota would change the engine mount design if there was no problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I saw the pics in that thread. Here it is...............http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...failing-7.html

Wait, that has pics of the repaired gusseted ones that a couple of people had done. I saw the oem gusseted ones somewhere in my reading of this after freakin a bit finding all this this morning. I'll trace back & find it. May have been a link to TN in one of the threads here........
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
colvilletacoma will become famous soon enoughcolvilletacoma will become famous soon enough
colvilletacoma's Tacoma Gallery
its associated with the 4.0L/V6 related. If you have a 4cyl I wouldnt really be worried, but still keep and eye on them. Here are my mounts before they failed and after I got them fixed. Also im only picturing the passenger side after it was fixed. My passenger side had a big crack in the weld but hadnt collapsed yet.

Before:

After:

Passengers Side After: