Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

soft top

Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
hanrock is on a distinguished road

Name: craig
hanrock's Tacoma Gallery
soft top

hi im looking to purchase a soft top canopy for my 2012 dc 6 foot bed any one have one experiances , brands ,good or bad all stories welcome thanx
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Got a BesTop, no complaints in the last year that I have had it on and up.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Bestop and it worked well. I just bought a Leer to replace it.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by res4cue View Post
Had a Softopper. Blew off on the freeway!
That sucks!

x2 on bestop! I had a softopper on my old 02 taco double cab and it was great! But I personally like the look of bestop..not sure why I picked softopper over bestop.

Keep in mind you have to use a velcro tape that goes on your tailgaite to latch the rear flap closed. Not sure how bestop does theirs.

EDIT BTW res4cue you have a build page?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
I sell them both. Never had anyone call saying they blew one off a truck though. Typically the majority are after the Softopper. I ask the customer if they want side windows or solid, and then go on from their answer. My personal suggestion would be to go with the Bestop.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
I have a soft topper. Mine has never blown off on the freeway. I really dont know how that would happen.

My problem with Best top is that the side windows slide into a track. Just seems like problem to me. I do like the frame of the Best top better. Wish there was a blend of the two.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Keep in mind you have to use a velcro tape that goes on your tailgaite to latch the rear flap closed. Not sure how bestop does theirs.
The bestop uses a steel bar that attaches to the bottom of the rear window and the slides into an "ear" on each side.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the Softopper

... and this is the Bestop
Old 02-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma12 View Post
What is a topper?
Just a generic term for a bed cover, whether a solid fiberglass, vintage wood and aluminum, or newfangled soft top.

Soft top is really nice because it easily moves out of the way when you need to haul something large, while the hard tops need a friend (and place to store it)... but they lack the basic security of a locking hard top.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma12 View Post
who do you recommend buying from and what is a good price range for a hard top?
I've got a Snugtop on order from Fuller. It's around $1500 out the door (installation, headliner, solid front window).
They had an ARE for about $200 less, but the Snugtop covers the bed rails.
It also has a single center latch for the rear window, and a "mobster release" where if someone locks you into the shell, you just press a red button in the center of the latch and it will bypass the lock and rotate to allow you out.

I'll be getting it installed in a couple of weeks... going to experiment with it, but I would imagine the release works the other way as well, IE: If I stop at a rest area for a nap, I believe I can "lock myself in" like locking a regular camper.

In my area, it looks like $1200 is about the minimum for a quality cap.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratefish View Post
I have a soft topper. Mine has never blown off on the freeway. I really dont know how that would happen.

My problem with Best top is that the side windows slide into a track. Just seems like problem to me. I do like the frame of the Best top better. Wish there was a blend of the two.
NOW I remember why I got a softopper over a bestop! Because of the whole "I don't want anyone to see what I have in my bed unless they look through the back" ordeal

Soooo...you give TW discount for bestop

EDIT Sorry wrong guy to ask for TW discount lol forgot to quote this guy also

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOScott View Post
I sell them both. Never had anyone call saying they blew one off a truck though. Typically the majority are after the Softopper. I ask the customer if they want side windows or solid, and then go on from their answer. My personal suggestion would be to go with the Bestop.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Race Fire/Med Rescue
res4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to all

Firefighter:
Name: John
res4cue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post

No I dont. Wouldnt know how to start one anyway. Haha

Quote:

My Softopper blew off because I had all the sides rolled up and was doing 75 on the 805. The straps were clipped on the rails but they bent open from the wind I guess.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
No I dont. Wouldnt know how to start one anyway. Haha

My Softopper blew off because I had all the sides rolled up and was doing 75 on the 805. The straps were clipped on the rails but they bent open from the wind I guess.[/QUOTE]

So did you call soft topper and say WTF. I had my back door replaced by the with no hassle at all. THere service was great.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
The bestop uses a steel bar that attaches to the bottom of the rear window and the slides into an "ear" on each side.
So does softopper
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Race Fire/Med Rescue
res4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to allres4cue is a name known to all

Firefighter:
Name: John
res4cue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So did you call soft topper and say WTF. I had my back door replaced by the with no hassle at all. THere service was great.
I didnt call. Definitely should have! Oh well. I have a commercial aluminum shell now.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #17

Quote:
I didnt call. Definitely should have! Oh well. I have a commercial aluminum shell now.
Hey I really like your roof rack. Is that a Baja rack?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanrock View Post
hi im looking to purchase a soft top canopy for my 2012 dc 6 foot bed any one have one experiances , brands ,good or bad all stories welcome thanx
Check out Patrobs on here. He has a used for sale. My GF doesn't want me to buy it.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
I have a bestop and I think its the best money i have spent on the truck. I typically have the Windows out, not really concerned about people looking in. Love the look on the first gen. I have a motorcycle also and the thing folds down in a heartbeat to load a bike. I'm sure the softopper is just as versatile. I don't like the blind spots that I figured the softopper would create. Not knocking it, i just think the bestop is more versatile. I thought I would take it off over the winter, but its still on there no problems. Got it thru autoanuthing.com they price match.