1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Useing Biometrics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lazylegs, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I was driving home tonight and had to dig my keys out of my pocket. Took a minute to find out what pocket. I hate keys.. hate them. I was thinking about getting a Biometric locks system for my Tacoma. Any one ever tried it? Thoughts?

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    Ever used a Lenovo laptop with a fingerprint reader on it? Works about half the time. Damp fingers, wrinkled hot tub fingers, extra dry fingers, greasy fingers, it doesn't work. How frustrating would it be to not be able to get into your car a third of the time and have to retry a few times even in the best case?

3. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I think that is becasue of the quaity of the reader. The one I have in mind is a 600.00 a kit. not the 69.99 china special like they use.

4. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    So, would it work for someone who has your fingerprint you left behind on something? That could be annoying. Also wouldn't want someone stealing my fingers to steal my truck either. Wouldn't you still have to carry keys for other things?...like locking gas cap, house, etc..........

5. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    They probably bought the 69.95 reader, package it as a security system and marked it up. But you seems set on it so go ahead and give it a try.

6. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    I think figuring out a way to retro-fit a RFID system out of another car would be more practical, and probably about the same difficulty level? Something similar to Nissan's intelligent key system. :confused:

7. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    All of the systems mentioned can be bypassed and fooled, just like a key. Make sure whichever system you choose has a keyed backup that you maintain. Dead battery, broken remote, non-maintained key backup=locksmith/roadside assistance.

I have a fingerprint reader on my gun-safe. It works faster than a key when in a hurry, but sometimes it takes two tries to read.

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Lazylegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    I will have to do some research on this one.:broccoli:

Products Discussed in

To Top