1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Squeak TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EvilBetty, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I've been taking my truck into the dealer for every oil change since I bought the truck. After the 2nd oil change (10k) I began hearing an intermittent, but annoying oscillating squeak coming from the brakes when slowing from about 40mph on down. I notified the service department every time I took it in and they could either not find the problem or not hear the noise so they didn't do anything.

I now have 32k on the truck and I now also have a loud constant squeak with riding the brake while backing out of the garage. I took it in for another oil change and another squeak detection. I even let a guy drive my truck around with me and of course the noise never presented itself. They called me back after the oil change and told me they had found a TSB for the brakes and that it needed some caliper work and the rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. Front under warrenty... the rear at my cost. Said they recommend it should have been done at 15k.

I don't remember ever seeing that in any of the scheduled maintenance points. Why the hell should I have to pay the $69 to have it done if it's in a TSB under warranty and I didn't ignore any scheduled maintenance?

Anyone know of this TSB so I can read the language in it?:confused:

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now

There is a TSB for replacing the front brakes and rotors if you experience squeaking when backing up. I had this done to mine under warranty. Did you look at the TSB sticky at the top of the GEN2 forum? All the TSBs are there, the key is backing up, once I said that the service writer was yup, its the TSB and took care of it free. No more squeak. Mine was at 8k.

-- edit --- I just looked in the sticky and can't find it, let me look at my laptop & get back to ya.

ok I didn't save the .pdf but the TSB you want is TSB BR005R-07 SEP 07 Brakes Front Brake noise when applied backing up

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Thanks.

Yeah I checked there first and didn't see anything having to do with brakes.

With that one missing, makes me wonder what other TSB's we are missing from that sticky.

Anyone have a link to "TSB BR005R-07 SEP 07"?

Thanks!

4. Dec 10, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  5. Dec 11, 2008 at 6:33 PM
    the_tick

the_tick Active Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I just bought my '07 Tacoma with 6800 miles on it about 6 weeks ago tonight. A week or so after driving it I noticed the squeak, usually when backing out of the driveway. Took it in to the Dealer and they said they would clean the brakes under the "still under warranty" excuse since it was so new. Thougth they did say next time I would have to pay for it. About a week later I started noticing the same squeak again, albeit a little less often and a bit quieter. The dealer said they just cleaned the back brakes. If anyone has any info on this TSB please share. I'm hesitant to go to the dealer without a little bit of paperwork on my side.

6. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I second that. I would love for someone to get that squeak to stop, permanently.

7. Dec 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    the_tick

the_tick Active Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I might just go buy the TSB in PDF from Toyota ASAP. I"m gonna stop doing that acronym thing now. I'll post it if I'm successful.

8. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:02 PM
    the_tick

the_tick Active Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    OK, I went to the Toyota web site and signed up for a day for the TIS, which allows you to access all of the TSB's. I downloaded the PDF for "TSB BR005R-07 SEP 07 Brakes Front Brake noise when applied backing up". I'm kinda pissed off, though. The TSB says it's only for 4x4 and PreRunners. I know good and well the brake parts are the same on my Base (or at least I think they are). Oh, well. I'm still gonna try and get them to fix it. My truck doesn't even have 10k miles on it. The brakes should NOT squeak at all.

Ummm.... uh, could someone tell me how to attach the PDF?

9. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:36 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    The backing up squeak is a minor annoyance for me compared to the horrible "herrrr heee herrr heee" noise my brakes make coming to a stop all the time.

I threw a micro-recorder in the back of the truck today and managed to catch the noise clear as day on the recording. Hoping it makes some difference to the service department this go around tomorrow.

10. Dec 13, 2008 at 4:37 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Yup there it is.
    Maybe get it added to the TSB sticky on the top of 2nd Gen? Mod help?
    Props to those who got it!

11. Dec 14, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Well I had this TSB performed. They also cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. With the recording they matched the sound to a rear leaf spring pad? I don't know but it was all under warranty. This was on Friday, and I didn't hear either of the squeaks all day.

Between Saturday and today, both sounds are back... This sucks.

12. Feb 26, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    lazyj68

lazyj68 New Member

Member:
    Could somebody please repost this TSB, the link no longer works.

Thanks

13. Feb 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I took the truck back in Monday and they de-glazed the brakes front and back, and so far no noise backing up or stopping... I have about 210 miles left before I hit 36k...

14. Feb 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Damn,
    I remember hearing mine squeek pretty loudly in the past. But since it's been the winter time and my windows have been up....I haven't heard it lately.
    I'll have to remember to look this up.

15. Feb 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
  16. Feb 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    the_tick

the_tick Active Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    If anyone needs the PDF of the TSB just PM me with your email and I'll send it. I thought someone I forwarded the PDF to was going to post it in the 2nd Generations TSB section but I'm not sure what happened.

The TICK

17. Feb 26, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    I just had this TSB done after the dealer asked me about squeaking while backing up. They brought it up not me. I thought it was just the cold weather?!

Products Discussed in

To Top