1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there an update on the 07 standard cab vibration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by salve7, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Feb 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    salve7

salve7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sevierville TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2.7 5-speed
    I have searched and read about the vibration issue people are having with the 5 speed standard cab when not accelerating. Has there been a tsb or a fix for this problem? Thanks

2. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Not really. Assuming you're keeping up with proper driveline maintenance, the consesus seems to be that the vibrations/grinding sound are related to the slip yoke having too much play. Here are some things various people have tried:

1) Flipping driveshaft end-to-end - works for about half the folks who've tried it. For some it helps to quiet the grinding above 45 mph (with no load on the drivetrain), but may not help with vibrations.

2) Change u-joints - Doesn't help. I did this a few thousand miles ago and nothing ever got better, or worse.

3) Greasing slip yoke - I did this and it helped for about 200 miles before the vibes and grinding came back.

4) Axle shims - Doesn't help.

I'm planning to install a grease fitting for the slip yoke here soon, I just haven't had the time. Going to grease it every 3000 miles like I do the u-joints. I've thought about a spacer for the driveshaft since the grinding/vibes disappear when there's a load in the back, but there's nothing existing on the market and I don't want to risk bottoming out the yoke.

Hope this helps.

3. Feb 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    salve7

salve7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sevierville TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2.7 5-speed
    Well that sucks to hear. It's kinda what I gathered while searching. I'll see if my local guy has any tricks up his sleeve. I'm supposed to take it there tomorrow and of course today it quit doing it... Oh well.

Products Discussed in

To Top