1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need new shocks or struts or springs???...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HandyMandy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    HandyMandy

HandyMandy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amanda
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 P/U
    Hey,

I have a 05 manual, 4wd basic model tacoma. And clearly the front end sits lower than my back. I wonder,... do i need new shocks, springs or struts for my front end? When i rotated my tires, i noticed they were worn unevenly in the front.

A friend of mine drives a tacoma, as well, for his job; he noticed the same uneven wear on the tires also for a 2wd tacoma, auto, basic model.

Is this a suspention thing for a basic model w/o any model package???...
    Recommendations for ungrading my front suspention???...

Mandy-

2. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The front end typically sits lower than the rear. Worn out shocks will not make it ride lower, a worn out spring could though. How many miles are on the truck and is it used to tow or haul frequently (or used off road a lot)? As far as needing new shocks, if you did, the truck would be bouncy. Push down on the corners of the truck and see if it keeps bouncing or if it just recovers from the bump and does not keep bouncing.

As far as your friend's Tacoma, is his a 5 lug or 6 lug like yours? The 5-lug, basic model's suspension is different from yours so the approach to modify the suspension would be much different.

As far as upgrades for your Tacoma, search for Bilstein 5100's. They allow you to reuse your stock coils, give you the option to lift or retain stock ride height and ride much better than the stock shocks.

Depending on how much suspension work you want to do, this thread might be worth a read:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

Welcome to TW!

3. Mar 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    HandyMandy

HandyMandy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amanda
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 P/U
    Thank you for the info, im looking into the 5100's. It has over 75,000 mi on it and every once in awhile i do alittle off roading. No towing or hauling.

Again thank you.

-Mandy

Products Discussed in

To Top