1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

!!!NEW!!! Bakflip FIBERMAX Tonneau / Bed Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by zham61, Mar 1, 2012.

?

Which Flip Cover do you like? Considering Price and Features

1. Bakflip Fibermax

65 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Bakflip G2

46 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Undercover Flex

28 vote(s)
    16.8%
  4. Bakflip F1

28 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Jul 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Do you lose the use of the side rails with the Undercover Flex?

2. Aug 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Just caught the dilemma with "Tcomaboy" not getting his rails, and would like to shed some light on the subject.

First, this is in NO WAY Bakflip's fault or problem. Can they step up and make it right? Sure, but that is by their choice, not obligation. Covers over 68" bed length are shipped in 2 boxes.

Bak sets an MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) on their product. In order to be considered an Authorized Dealer and receive manufacturer support from Bak, you must abide by these prices set on their products. Autopartsway (APW) is violating this policy by selling below the MAP. Bak is simply enforcing their policy by putting the responsibility back on the seller to get their act together. APW chooses not to.

Whether or not APW had the cover in stock to begin with, I don't know. If they had it on hand, the rails should still be there to send out. Why isn't APW chasing Bak down to get parts that were not shipped? Perhaps APW is buying from a distributor warehouse, and was shorted by them. Ultimately APW sold the product, it should be on them to make it right with their customer. Shows a lot for this company telling Tcomaboy that he has to call Bak.

Many manufacturers are adopting similar policies to protect the product they make from "fly-by-night" sites whoring out their products.

When you search the web and find 50 different sites showing the same price, but find that 1 site lower, that should clue you in to stop and think. The cheapest isn't always going to be the best route.

3. Aug 23, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    This is such nonsense! Whoever wrote this post above has no idea what they're talking about. I designed both the F1 and Fibermax. I know everything about them and as well as the flex. If anyone wants the real truth just ask. Relying on this complete nonsense is both bad for you all as consumers as well as misleading.

FYI: the F1 and Fibermax have the identical panels. They are both different to the flex insofar as their undersides are metal, where the flex is not. There are tons of other important differences. Just ask and I'll give you the REAL TRUTH, not this used car salesman BS.

4. Aug 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Just received my fold-a-cover elite G4 yesterday. I decided against the bakflip and undercover because I am not a fan of how they look installed. They look a bit cheap in my opinion. The fold-a-cover looks more sturdy. The locking mechanism allows for the cover to be opened independently from the tailgate. This was also key to me because if either the covers latching mechanism or the dynolock fails, I still have a method of getting to the bed to fix the problem. I was worried about this with taking the cover to the snow in the winter. The new rail installation of the fold-a-cover without adhesive, seems like it would make getting a water tight installation much easier. The fold-a-cover is accessible from both ends of the bed and the rail tie down system is still available.

5. Sep 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    mdkingen

mdkingen Hang on, I saw this done in a cartoon once!

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Anybody figured out a way to keep the two main fasteners tight on a G-2 Flip-bak? Mine slide around constantly and the rubber seals slip under the edge of the rails on the left side. I'm having to re-align and retighten on a weekly basis. It's kind of a pain. It is as if the cover is slightly too small and has too much room to wiggle. I'm wondering if I put a few washers under the left rail to move it closer toward the middle of the bed, if that might help. Open to your ideas. Thanks

6. Sep 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica DC TRD Off Road
    the only issue I have had is the end of the rails near the tail gate do not hold down good. The rails taper towards the inside of the bed very slightly and the rail wants to push back up when you tighten down. I added a couple of square washers from a flatscreen TV mount - I am an AV installer - and it seemed to do the trick.

7. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    SO..... do tell us all "the REAL TRUTH" please. I really want to hear this!

8. Oct 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    mdkingen

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    It worked.

9. Oct 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Eager as well....

10. Oct 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    It sounds like you could use a set of shims behind your rails. What year and model of truck do you have? Also, are you using the lock washers?

11. Oct 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    The F1 and Fibermax both have aluminum panels on the underside of the cover. The flex does not. This is because you get more structural integrity from a material like aluminum that cannot expand and contract. The flex does not. The rails on Bakflip covers are WAY srtronger than the flex and have top support to be able to better insulate the cover as well as leverage weight. The flex does not. BAK covers do not block your third brake light. The flex does, and is not FMVSS certified. BAK covers automatically lock and operate from either side of the truck, the flex does not. It cannot be fully operated from the passenger side and uses different kinds of locks on different panels to try get around patent protection that BAK has. The list goes on and on, but suffice it to say the following: the flex is a cheap knock off that cuts corners in order to TRY and circumvent patent infringements. The bottom line is that both BAK covers are far superior and I will go head to head in an apples to apples comparison all day every day to prove it. The comments suggesting they are the same are nonsense and posted by people who simply don't know the facts. Lastly, Flex has been sued for patent infringement. I look forward to seeing the day where people like the good folks on this site stand up and support American made products, as well as American innovation and not buy into cheap rip-offs that are inferior in almost every way, yet claim otherwise.

12. Oct 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Well......you are entitled to your opinion. But, so am I. So we will disagree on this matter as I have owned and operated BOTH the Bak flip F1 and the Undercover Flex extensively. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I disagree with your assessment of the mounting rails. To say the Flex is a cheap knock off is simply untrue. I have found them to be overall equal. I will point out that the Flex has a 3 year warranty to the 2 year warranty of the BAK. Additionally, I dont understand your final comment on American made produts as the Undercover Flex is built in the USA. It is far from inferior and it would be much more fair to say they are virtually identical with the exception of minor operating differences.

Have you owned and operated BOTH on a daily basis as I have done?

13. Oct 14, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    mdkingen

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    yep, I shimmed it a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a problem since. and yes, I am using the lock washers. I actually replaced the ones I was sent from the factory with something a little higher quality and a little "toothier". seems to have taken care of problem.

14. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited

Thanks for the info here Julian. Even I had some of the finer details wrong between them.

15. Oct 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    deadmanh

deadmanh Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 sr5
    How easy is it to remove the bakflip (F1 or fibermax) so that I can see my dog as I transport him in the back of the truck?

can anyone post a picture or even better a video of this?

16. Oct 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Well, I can't really speak for the undercover flex , but I sure know that Bakflip customer support sucks big time.....they don't stand behind their products at all....from my experience, even if you're willing to pay for replacement parts they blow you off and expect you to buy a whole new Bakflip..... Ummmmm, who is stupid enough to do that... It's is a $700 product...why not go to a competitor if you're treated like that ... And that's what I did......

Not sure how a company expects to stay in business when they don't support their customers

17. Oct 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
  18. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    It's very easy! Just remove two thumb screws and that's it. You can see more on Baka website at bakindustries.com

19. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM
    Jmaimin

Jmaimin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Julian
    As the owner of BAK I take issue with that. Our service is world class. Any issues, just call 818-365-9000 and speak with Jesse del Toro. He'll take excellent care of you!

20. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    thomask

thomask Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Radiant Red TRD Sport
    Westin Skid Plate Bull Bar PIAA Fog Lights JVC Navigation Stereo Unit
    I will concur with this. I emailed for new prop rods for my Fibermax as mine had fallen off and I couldn't locate them. I expected to have to pay for the replacement parts. Email came back the next day asking for a shipping address which I supplied and next thing I know it says that they are being shipped out that day. That is service and I'm a happy customer.

Products Discussed in

To Top