1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing storage boxes from a 2012 Access Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scentless, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    Scentless

Scentless [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hi Tacoma World!

I really want to take them out - not sure how difficult it is.

I'm having a system put in this weekend and I'd love to have more room behind the passenger seat after the addition of a 10 inch sub box. It's not too big & it's a downfire box built to economical in total dimension, so worst case is I'm stuck with the storage bins.

Has anyone removed them?

Thanks!

Here's my thread from audio & video, kinda same info, but just in case anyone else is interested in putting a system in an Access cab. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...-access-cab-audio-upgrade-very-necessary.html

2. Mar 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    You mean the bins under the rear seats? Or the center bin between the 2 rear seats? That one I know just bolts to the floor. As for the bins under the seats, someone pulled out the plastic inserts and discovered a ton more storage under there (though it's best to line the area with some sort of matting as you remove the bins, and you're looking right at the sheetmetal. You wouldn't want to put anything in there that would slide and dent).

3. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    I was wondering about this too...those under seat
    bins take up an amazing amount of space back there for what they are...
    the center thing is pretty much useless for anything but cords or rags
    or whatever.

i'd like to get those out and put a small toolbox under one of the seats...
    the other side for the jack and other items...

I'm going to look at it this weekend to see what is what...
    you'd have to figure what to do with the carpet as it comes
    up the sides of those bins...it doesn't look it would flatten
    out so well after the bins are removed.

4. Mar 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Scentless

Member:
    Thanks for your responses, guys.

Yes - I want to completely take the bins out that are under the seats (not just the plastic - all of it, including the jump seats).

The guy at the install shop where I'm having some audio work done told me that he's removed them from a number of toyotas and said usually they're bolted and somtimes they're spot-welded.

I have a feeling he's probably never done a 2012 - I read on here where someone said you would have a "hole in the cab" if you removed them. This leads me to believe that possibly the frames for the storage bins are "a part" of the main cab.

Thanks for any comments!

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I just took the jump seats out today, then it started raining. That's when I came in and found this thread... I'm planning to remove as much of that crap as is reasonable to build my own storage box back there. It will double as my dog's area to hang out. Ideally I want to put a simple wooden box back there and staple some closely matching carpet to it.

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    luisito72

luisito72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANGEL
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 sport
    TWO TONE TRD LEATHER/PIONEER 930BT NAVI,KICKER CUSTOM BASS BOX IN REAR WITH KICKER ALL AROUND THE DOORS!VIPER 5704 ALARM SYSTEM,NFAB STEP BARS,GRILLCRAFT BUMBER AND FRONT BLACK GRILL,BILSTEIN 5100 FRONT AND REAR SET AT 0 IN FRONT AND ADD A LEAF 1.5 IN REAR!OEM SKID PLATE,AFE S DRY AIR FILTER,MOTO-X BED EXTENDER!LIGHT RACING ,,UCA,SUNROOF,METAL MILLLER RED POWDERCOATED EMBLEM,,TOYTEC RED COILOVERS SET AT 3 INCHES,LED INTERIOR DOME LIGHTS,LED PLATE LIGHT,HELLA SUPERTONE HORNS,NFAB RHINO LINED STEP BARS,AVID LIGHT BAR RHINOLINED,POP A LOCK, RUGGED FOLD HARD COVER,CUSTOM RED PAINTED CENTER STAR ON ROCKSTAR RIMS,OEM BED MAT,TRD ETCHED POWDER COATED EXHAUST TIP.RETROFITTED HEADLIGHTS
    NOT DIFFICULT WHATSOEVER I INSTALL A CUSTOM BOX WITH TWO TENS AND AN AMP AND HAD NO PROBLEMS TOOK ABOUT 3 MINUTES TO TAKE OUT!

7. Mar 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    beats being a useless waste of bandwidth though doesnt it??

8. Mar 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I am.

9. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    I have an 06 DBL Cab, they look similar. Some of the spot welds did not hold up when I removed the jack mounts. I just pushed them back into place and sealed it with JB Weld.

AmpStand.jpg
    AmpRack.jpg
    Trim.jpg
    NoBoxIn.jpg
    SubBoxIn.jpg

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    2012 looks pretty similar, the jack is stored in the passenger side cubby, though. Think I'll keep the plastic cubbys as secret squirrel storage under the storage boxes I'm going to build. Weather looks like it might cooperate today.

11. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    The 2012 seats and console are easy enough to remove. The plastic bins come out easy - they are held in place by 10-12 little plastic pegs. Remove the jack and stuff, pull the pegs, and it pops right out.

I believe this is the same as older years.

As others mentioned, the thing is that there is a metal frame for the seat supports that the bin fits into. Also, without that bin in place, it is really loud - there is no insulation between them metal floor and the interior of that metal frame.

12. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Scentless

Member:
    Thanks for the posts, guys!

I gotta take a shot for you guys, I only have terrible cell phone pics that I thought were clearer when I took them. I'd show them but they're worthless.

In the next day or 2 I'll bring a real camera with me and get some daylight shots of what I ended up doing.

Monkey, I like what you did with the back! Your buddies definitely deserve to be in the cab.

Just to note - I not only wanted to remove the plastic storage bins, but also the metal frame that the storage bins are housed in.

So now I have a medium sized sub box behind the passenger seat, and the sub box is up against (not touching) the rear diagonal metal plate that is attached to the very back of the cab.

But I only did it on one side. The other side still has the seat & storage bin. I still need to remove the center console, but I have to say..it looks pretty good for now.

Pics really soon!!

13. Jun 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    im curiuos to know if you were ever able to remove the metal frame. i have an 09 access cab and i think the setup is the same. i had the same idea of removing the metal frame but i didnt want to have to deal with figuring out what to do with the carpet. so i cut a section of the frame out under the seat and made a sub box that supports the seat, was only able to fit an 8" in there tho.

sub2.jpg

14. Jul 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Scentless

Member:
    Hey Evan.

That's a good set up, it's a good use of the space.

For me, I was able to have the audio place that installed my system remove the metal bins. Based on my memory, they told me it was just a few bolts and some spot welds that they had to remove. Pretty sure they had to sawzall only one side - the side that connects to the center console. They gave me back the material they removed and that's what it looked like.

I love having it removed! As of now it makes room for my sub box, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it to the other side too. Those storage boxes just arent an efficient use of space.

Let us know what happens!

15. Jul 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    I like your setup, but the amp location seems like it doesnt have much air space . Any over heating issues ?

Products Discussed in

To Top