Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How's Your Taco in the Snow n Ice

Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
13BGriff is on a distinguished road
Army: B Btry 5/2 SCR
13BGriff's Tacoma Gallery
I've driven my 2011 dc 6mt through plenty of snow in austria and germany and I haven't had a problem, even when the plows weren't running. There's no such thing as working late around here. I can say that my wife's Audi A6 Quattro diesel runs circles around my truck. Yes I know it's unsafe, yes I know it's incredibly dangerous but during storms we've been known to cruise at 80-90 miles per hour in 12" of snow in that car and it handles incredibly well with the Michelin Alpina 4's. Yes, the speeds are legal, but I agree, it's not intelligent.

Our trucks are too light, touchy on the brakes and if you don't have dedicated winter tires you're asking for trouble.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I was breaking a trail through fairly deep snow on a mountain road in Oregon once -- and pretty pleased with myself -- until a girl in a Subaru Outback passed me like I was driving a 2WD family sedan.

I really wish Toyota trucks came with full-time 4WD, especially for patchy snow/ice conditions; however, chain up and there's not too many places you won't be able to go in a Tacoma unless the snow is up to your hood.

This winter I pulled several SUVs and full-size pickups out of drifts (to give them credit though none were chained). Chains and reasonable speeds are the key to deep-snow driving (OP, it's idiotic to drive 65 mph during a storm -- if you would have been in an accident it would have been completely your fault). I remember chaining up my tiny 1980 2WD pickup and pulling a sled on roads that the snowplow hadn't hit yet -- it did great as long as I didn't have to turn too sharply.

Edit: I just reread the original post. Not only did the OP claim to be driving 65 mph in hazardous conditions he claims to have done it for several miles in the breakdown lane -- this is totally irresponsible, and illegal, behavior.
Yup. This alone should probably get the thread locked.

OP, slow down. Its called four wheel drive. It has no bearing on stopping ability.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
I also didnt read your post, but the only time i have problems is wearing my work boots and somtimes dont hit the break right as i have a 6spd MT other then that i drive my taco in 2wd in a 1.5 feet of snow with no problems, i do recomend some sand sacks or driving in 4x4 though.
I've accidentally hit the breaks when wearing my snowmobile boots too. Yes, weight in the back in your best friend for winter conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
nah man he will be fine, I have only once come close to losing it once and i was in 4x4 but hit black ice, but i remained as calm as possible and was able to pull out of it by releasing breaks after stearing in the direction i wanted to go. All i can say is drive for the weather <--- This saves lives.

Almost everyone i watch go into the ditch is driveing as if it was dry clear weather.
If you read his intro post you'd know that he's one of the guys that drives as though it's a clear day. One day, he may not be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop639 View Post
Is this thread for real? I do snow removal for a living and there is no doubt in my mind that a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton pickup will do better than any of our tacomas. Our trucks are simply too light. It doesn't matter how much weight you put over the rear wheels (1000 lbs would definitely help but that's not realistic)........sub'd for the laughs
^^^^ this. I was used to driving and F150, the taco feels like the rear wants to break loose all the time compared to a 1/2 ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Great traction. I have BFG ATs and when I put it in 4WD, I try to drift in an icy turn and it doesn't slide at all. Love it
FYI, I don't do that all the time. I tried it once in a safe turn to where the worst would happen is sliding into a field. No ditch.
That's insane. I almost killed myself (yes I was driving according to weather conditions) doing a long road trip in a snow storm with those tires. They are terrible on hard packed snow, ice and slush.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is this thread for real? I do snow removal for a living and there is no doubt in my mind that a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton pickup will do better than any of our tacomas. Our trucks are simply too light. It doesn't matter how much weight you put over the rear wheels (1000 lbs would definitely help but that's not realistic)........sub'd for the laughs
Uh, what are you laughing at? The question wasn't whether a Tacoma was better than a full size truck, it was simply asking how they do.

With the Duratracs mine has done great in any snow I've had it in. The stock tires sucked but that's to be expected.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
my 4x2 sr5 is pretty hairy, sandbags a must. my fjc is a tank and will go thur just about anything. the new 4x4 reg cab only has 250 miles on it, i have no clue how it handles. sandbags will go it there until i figure out how it handles.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
pop639 is on a distinguished road
pop639's Tacoma Gallery
i was responding to another post about a tacoma running crcles around bigger trucks in snow, and if you think these rucks are good in the snow then you've never driven a snow capable vehicle
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
RedBull
orangedevil37 is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0351 Assualtman 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines
orangedevil37's Tacoma Gallery
i haul ass in my tundra in snow no matter where im at and its only 2wd. i have yet to get any snow this year to see how my new taco holds up to it, but for my tundra, you better be getting out of my way cause im not slowing down. rally drivers do 100mph on the snow in the woods so dont give me your wreckless and thats too fast deal. if you cant drive at the speed limit in bad weather get off the road or learn to drive!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedevil37 View Post
i haul ass in my tundra in snow no matter where im at and its only 2wd. i have yet to get any snow this year to see how my new taco holds up to it, but for my tundra, you better be getting out of my way cause im not slowing down. rally drivers do 100mph on the snow in the woods so dont give me your wreckless and thats too fast deal. if you cant drive at the speed limit in bad weather get off the road or learn to drive!
It's the speed limit- Not the speed requirement.
And it is reckless because there are people around who didn't sign up for your rally race and I'll bet you aren't a trained rally driver in a rally equipped Tacoma-So everything is great until you hit one of them...and then the cops won't give a shit what a rally driver does...They'll just write you a ticket.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
pop639 is on a distinguished road
pop639's Tacoma Gallery
rally cars cost $400,000...there might be a bit more technology involved there....oh yeah, they're effin rally drivers too, not some dude thats late for work and impatient
Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
TRDyota09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jabin
TRDyota09's Tacoma Gallery
Where I live in WV, it seems to snow a lot, and people around here usually know how to drive in it. That being said, I hardly ever use 4wheel drive. When I get hung up in 2wheel, that's when I find it necessary to engage 4wheel, and I have never had a problem in either of my tacomas. And around here tires are everything!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #32
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in mass and I have no issues with the snow .
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Honey Badger1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B
Name: Trip
Honey Badger1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree with you my plow truck is a chevy 2500 6.0L and with the plow and about 1200 lb in the back worth of sand bags and I have no problem passing the idiots that don't belong out in the snow they should stay home or buy a toy for the snow I don't get paid by the hour plowing and I'm the kinid of person to see some poor guy living in a house with wheels and i'll clear his drive for a thank u and handshake, who the hell wants to shovel? and not to toot my own horn but toot toot.. my grandfather is very well off and is a pro driving instructor for the Porsche and audi cubs in the area, since I got my license at 15 I've spent more time at driving schools granted being a young idiot and all schools are in safe controlled environments with the least amount of guess work I've also been a simi privateer in sedan racing where my grandfather for me a half million dollar cars to race from BMW and or audi once again controlled environments, but being my age and having a giving wealthily grandparent to sponsor me with a truck and camper to explorer from the north pole (never been there just showing coverage area, would love to go tho) to the bottom of south america i've spent a lot of summer vacations from school or leave as a 16 years old to 21 years old traveling around with more hours behind the wheel then a normal dumb ass my age and to back that up I pay 80 doll hairs a month of two trucks full coverage I know I do stupid stupid things I'm 23 I live out in the woods in a town with more livestock then people. I'm able to really go crazy and figure things out with out harming others or myself I have a 5 mile road to my house and I'm the only house on it and its a dead end. I have more then enough time to play and learn.
that being said I also agree with the tires that has a 120% to do with flouting or cutting through it. this is my first Taco and I'm just looking for some insight to what other people do to stick to the road I have the 17in rims with the fatty tires which I'm unhappy about but they have kept me on the road and kept me safe messing around. I haven't been able to read every ones post and i have the reading and typing skill of a gold fish
Attached Thumbnails
How's Your Taco in the Snow n Ice-180416_198514773492689_100000025023000_829143_5757646_n.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
muisejt is a jewel in the roughmuisejt is a jewel in the roughmuisejt is a jewel in the rough
muisejt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcledrew View Post
I live in Northern Alberta. Everyone here drives 1/2 - 1 Ton trucks. I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy for work, a 2012 with traction control and stabilitrak. The tacoma wins hands down on snow and ice, even though I run all terrain tires on my Tacoma, and there's specific snow and ice tires on my work truck. I would not trust the Chevy nearly as much on the highway as I do my Tacoma.
Bottom line, Tacoma on snow and / or ice = good.
i have winter tires and sand bags in the back and she gets around better than our work trucks too. I can get around on the side streets with the Tacoma in 2wd where the 3/4 ton Fords and Dodge I've driven needed 4wd or you just sit there spinning the tires. Fort Mac needs more snow removal
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #35
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger1 View Post
I agree with you my plow truck is a chevy 2500 6.0L and with the plow and about 1200 lb in the back worth of sand bags and I have no problem passing the idiots that don't belong out in the snow they should stay home or buy a toy for the snow I don't get paid by the hour plowing and I'm the kinid of person to see some poor guy living in a house with wheels and i'll clear his drive for a thank u and handshake, who the hell wants to shovel? and not to toot my own horn but toot toot.. my grandfather is very well off and is a pro driving instructor for the Porsche and audi cubs in the area, since I got my license at 15 I've spent more time at driving schools granted being a young idiot and all schools are in safe controlled environments with the least amount of guess work I've also been a simi privateer in sedan racing where my grandfather for me a half million dollar cars to race from BMW and or audi once again controlled environments, but being my age and having a giving wealthily grandparent to sponsor me with a truck and camper to explorer from the north pole (never been there just showing coverage area, would love to go tho) to the bottom of south america i've spent a lot of summer vacations from school or leave as a 16 years old to 21 years old traveling around with more hours behind the wheel then a normal dumb ass my age and to back that up I pay 80 doll hairs a month of two trucks full coverage I know I do stupid stupid things I'm 23 I live out in the woods in a town with more livestock then people. I'm able to really go crazy and figure things out with out harming others or myself I have a 5 mile road to my house and I'm the only house on it and its a dead end. I have more then enough time to play and learn.
that being said I also agree with the tires that has a 120% to do with flouting or cutting through it. this is my first Taco and I'm just looking for some insight to what other people do to stick to the road I have the 17in rims with the fatty tires which I'm unhappy about but they have kept me on the road and kept me safe messing around. I haven't been able to read every ones post and i have the reading skill of a gold fish

I also thank those for understanding my question through all my bullsh*t, I agree with most of you and, tho ones that complain about speed limits go to hell those signs piss me off no one in the world or the moon can say they always go the speed limit, if you do don't tell my girlfriend I'm banging brad pitt on the side. if u got some one behind u thats wants to do 50 in a snow storm the side of the road is always there and no ones stopping u from flipping that switch thats makes lights blink on the left or right of your car and that person is gone, maybe u can pass him later and laugh when he's in the woods but, I got places to go and people to see. Drive like hell you'll get there faster.

If I hurt any feelings strip down and go slide around on the tarmac and thicken up.
First off ... punctuation. Use it. Love it.

Second, I don't think anyone is really crying about your driving fast, just that you're being unsafe. And, face it, "illegal activity" is frowned upon in this forum. Which is kind of how your first point reads.

(notice the periods I used? They help break up that rambling train-wreck of a paragraph into legible sentences)
Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #36
Ruddog is on a distinguished road
Name: Rudy
Ruddog's Tacoma Gallery
Its like foot wear...you dont play football in tennis shoes ...its all in the Tires !!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #37
jameswirl is on a distinguished road

jameswirl's Tacoma Gallery
I've been checking out this site daily for the last 4 years or so, and anyone can see by my post count that I do not read very many threads that inspire me to add my point of view. That being said, I cannot pass up a chance to say: OP IS A HUGE DOUCHE CANOE!!!! If you want to kill yourself thats fine with me, but I sure hope that neither myself or anyone I care about is within 100 miles of you when you are on the road in any conditions. OP, You're an f'ing idiot.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #38
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
We usually get our share of snow in the winter first thing I do is get the all seasons off by a least first of Dec. and put real snow tires on you know the ones with the little picture of a mountain on them. The trucks are light but with real snow tires they are as good as any better then some had to rescue my friend in his big Dodge yesterday he got stuck drove up took him home to get his big tractor to pull the Dodge out. Yeah a Tacoma does not have near the pull of a big truck but it will go the same places a big one will.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #39
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is this post for real? This is either a troll or you have not pushed your Tacoma.

Id love to see your big ass rigs in the snow do a hill climb VS a Tacoma.
Or lets compare braking distance on a 1 ton on a sheet of ice vs a lighter truck in an emergency situation.
Or lets just listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Weight is insignificant unless your running 40's on your 1 ton. The real factor is weight displacement between the tries and ground (tire surface area).

I wheel with a few "full size" locked trucks (Dodge in background) and I laugh when they have to hit shit at speed and then I crawl up with my measly LSD.

stock tires aired down to 20 psi and still pushing snow up hill with no weight in the bed

One of my few stucks - only because I high centered in a snow drift

OK so back to OP...I drove a Ford Exploder for 10 years 200,000 miles in the NE through many 3' storms. The auto 4x4 you love........I hated. Reason being you had no idea when it would come on. In an emergency situation you learn to "know" what a rear wheel drive truck should do when the rear wheels slip on a turn and then how to counteract it. With auto 4x4 you can NOT tell when it will turn on thus your reactions to fix an issue are severely curtailed. I absolutely hated it.

IMO you need to grab some Duratracs and air down in the fluffy stuff 20-30psi for the added surface area.

I never add weight to my bed and always drive in 2wd on road unless we are talking about 2' + of snow. If you need to add weight I would suggest a couple bags of sand and salt. This mixture helped me out many times when all I had was a worked 5.0 89' Mustang in storms. If I did get stuck on a iced hill I would salt and sand it then hit it 5 minutes later.

You need to remember added weight will most likely make your stopping distance longer - this is why I do not use it.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #40
Honey Badger1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B
Name: Trip
Honey Badger1's Tacoma Gallery
Love the pictures! yeah, I hear the love hate about the explorers alot. I personally never had an issue. it came on at all the right times for me.