Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How's Your Taco in the Snow n Ice

Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #41
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger1 View Post
Love the pictures! yeah, I hear the love hate about the explorers alot. I personally never had an issue. it came on at all the right times for me.
I definitely like that now I can do donuts and 200' long rear spin outs (offroad)
Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #42
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Relentless playing in the snow.

http://youtu.be/wzPq23rLv3U

Mine does fine. Haven't gotten in to deep stuff yet but next weekend I'll be hitting a snow covered trail in the forrest.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #43
Blackoaktree is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2/24 4th Div 0311
Name: Josh
Blackoaktree's Tacoma Gallery
Mine seems to get stuck in the snow.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #44
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I knew. Haven't had a bit of snow or ice since I bought mine a few weeks ago. Hoping for about a foot
Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta say that the tacoma is the best vehicle ive driven in the snow, even in 2wd i am more confident with my truck than my girlfriends AWD santa fe. I think it does great, and ive owned other trucks...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #46
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
mine is very very good. it goes through a LOT of snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiGdD...b8AUAAAAAAAFAA

ive had it in some pretty deep stuff. and not gotten stuck.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #47
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I like that last pic. I've wondered what a white Taco in the snow would look like, all the one's around here (including mine) are silver.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #48
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree with you my plow truck is a chevy 2500 6.0L and with the plow and about 1200 lb in the back worth of sand bags and I have no problem passing the idiots that don't belong out in the snow they should stay home or buy a toy for the snow I don't get paid by the hour plowing and I'm the kinid of person to see some poor guy living in a house with wheels and i'll clear his drive for a thank u and handshake, who the hell wants to shovel? and not to toot my own horn but toot toot.. my grandfather is very well off and is a pro driving instructor for the Porsche and audi cubs in the area, since I got my license at 15 I've spent more time at driving schools granted being a young idiot and all schools are in safe controlled environments with the least amount of guess work I've also been a simi privateer in sedan racing where my grandfather for me a half million dollar cars to race from BMW and or audi once again controlled environments, but being my age and having a giving wealthily grandparent to sponsor me with a truck and camper to explorer from the north pole (never been there just showing coverage area, would love to go tho) to the bottom of south america i've spent a lot of summer vacations from school or leave as a 16 years old to 21 years old traveling around with more hours behind the wheel then a normal dumb ass my age and to back that up I pay 80 doll hairs a month of two trucks full coverage I know I do stupid stupid things I'm 23 I live out in the woods in a town with more livestock then people. I'm able to really go crazy and figure things out with out harming others or myself I have a 5 mile road to my house and I'm the only house on it and its a dead end. I have more then enough time to play and learn.
that being said I also agree with the tires that has a 120% to do with flouting or cutting through it. this is my first Taco and I'm just looking for some insight to what other people do to stick to the road I have the 17in rims with the fatty tires which I'm unhappy about but they have kept me on the road and kept me safe messing around. I haven't been able to read every ones post and i have the reading and typing skill of a gold fish
Learn to use punctuation and form proper sentences.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #49
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First off I'm new to this, I tried searching for this, with no luck. So assuming I'm right which is rare around my house (but let me know).... anyways moving on.

I was curious how every ones tacoma's are in the snow, I live in northern New Hampshire, We don't get snow year around but, we get wintery mix or snow and rain making road condition less then passable for some cars and trucks with all our hilly terrain. I've always owned Ford Explorers and I loved the Auto 4x4 drive switch where when it is selected it runs in two wheel drive till it notices slippages which it kicks in the front wheels to pull you along. I've always felt safe in them doing extremely dangerous speeds in the worse condition (granted I test my stuff so I know the limits) the time I bag about the most was 2008 or 09 we got a noreaster and as many of us new englanders know the snow bands follows 495 north which is a 6 lane highway 3 north 3 south, I was coming home from the bottom of CT New haven maybe? but since you couldn't see the lines and the plow trucks couldn't get on the road due to the high volume of traffic I became in patient being the asshole from New Hampshire. I turned the 10in deep snow and slush break down lane into the 3rd lane and before long I had most of the good drivers and other trucks hot on my heels while I maintained 60 to 65 MPH the speed limit on the best day while the two other lanes bearly reach 30 to 35 mph for short burst of time and the Explorer pulled me threw and kept me safe whether blind luck or the lord only looks after the stupid. if your still with me I thank you. recently here in NH we have been getting snow and slush and I've been out playing and I'm very happy with my taco. granted I hate the ABS and the trac. Control which is out to kill me. moving down the road in 2w it feels loose but you know if she breaks you can pull it around with some controlled break and gas pumps. (I had weight in the back figured we weren't getting any more snow for the season so I took them out only 140lbs worth mainly just for sand if I can't get up an icy hill)in 4w the truck is very solid on slick roads I can pull left and right and the truck just goes left and right with little argument going at slow speeds 30 35mph. yesterday I pulled a police type car up a steep grade and a shoe box with wheels up the hill as well. if your from the area its the road leading to gunstock ski resort right by the rd cat path where the tuesday before was a 10 car pile up due to the snow which gave me the motivation to help those cars out. so me real question is how does every feel about there taco in the snow? other then those annoying computers out to kill us like the terminator.
That does not seem like an experienced driver move. Maybe its just me.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
On topic, my Tacoma is alright in snow and sucks on ice but the actual performance is really dependant upon outside temperature. I have snow and ice tires but they don't seem to function very well on ice once the temperature gets low enough (around -19º). I'm not sure if they start to fail due to the rubber getting too cold or if it's because the snow/ice is too dry for the siping to work correctly... but either way they don't perform all that well in the temperatures we have around here and in hindsight I wish I'd gotten a set of studded tires.

The other issue I have is the mechanical LSD in my 2008 Taco. It's awesome on dry pavement but when both tires are on ice it tends to wash the rear end out sideways, which usually sends me into another lane as I regain control. It's not a big deal when I'm driving on an ice road and am expecting to compensate... it's more of an issue when I'm driving on pavement and hit a patch of black ice. I'm in the middle of trading in my '08 Taco w/ LSD for a new '12 Taco w/ open diff + TRAC... I love the truck, but it's ice driving ability could be better. I'm hoping the 2012 performs a lot better.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #51
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
I love the truck, but it's ice driving ability could be better. I'm hoping the 2012 performs a lot better.
I think, like some here have already mentioned, that if you live in a place that has a lot of snow and ice that you just really need studded winter tires. I lived in Bend, Oregon where nearly every local put on studded tires come winter and the only people really having trouble driving were those coming in from outside the area. A 2WD with studded tires is better than FWD without when it comes to ice.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #52
Huge Member

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I think, like some here have already mentioned, that if you live in a place that has a lot of snow and ice that you just really need studded winter tires. I lived in Bend, Oregon where nearly every local put on studded tires come winter and the only people really having trouble driving were those coming in from outside the area. A 2WD with studded tires is better than FWD without when it comes to ice.
I agree.

Most locals run all seasons and just seem to accept that driving in winter here means driving sideways down the road, which is funny as a lot of them are paranoid about driving on the highway in the winter.

I'm not from around here and thought ice rated tires would be enough. Now I know better.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
MLJak is on a distinguished road
Marines: Corporal - Combat Engineer
MLJak's Tacoma Gallery
My Tacoma works excellent in the winter. I too came from an Explorer that was good in snow. I've driven through an Alaskan winter with just the stock tires on the base 4x4 and had no troubles. Drive it just like you would the Explorer, I think the Tacoma works excellent.