1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How's Your Taco in the Snow n Ice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Honey Badger1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    Honey Badger1

Honey Badger1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trip
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fuzzy Dice, Fighter pilot mod, power ports always on, GPS wired to come on as key is turned, LED Map/dome lights, all weather mats, bed liner, tool box on rail system, Tinted tail lights, repainted badges, Home made grill, Light mounting bracket with two 6 inch. PIAA Drive lights, Stealth mod DTRL on/ off, leather arm rests, door and center.
    First off I'm new to this, I tried searching for this, with no luck. So assuming I'm right which is rare around my house (but let me know).... anyways moving on.

I was curious how every ones tacoma's are in the snow, I live in northern New Hampshire, We don't get snow year around but, we get wintery mix or snow and rain making road condition less then passable for some cars and trucks with all our hilly terrain. I've always owned Ford Explorers and I loved the Auto 4x4 drive switch where when it is selected it runs in two wheel drive till it notices slippages which it kicks in the front wheels to pull you along. I've always felt safe in them doing extremely dangerous speeds in the worse condition (granted I test my stuff so I know the limits) the time I bag about the most was 2008 or 09 we got a noreaster and as many of us new englanders know the snow bands follows 495 north which is a 6 lane highway 3 north 3 south, I was coming home from the bottom of CT New haven maybe? but since you couldn't see the lines and the plow trucks couldn't get on the road due to the high volume of traffic I became in patient being the asshole from New Hampshire. I turned the 10in deep snow and slush break down lane into the 3rd lane and before long I had most of the good drivers and other trucks hot on my heels while I maintained 60 to 65 MPH the speed limit on the best day while the two other lanes bearly reach 30 to 35 mph for short burst of time and the Explorer pulled me threw and kept me safe whether blind luck or the lord only looks after the stupid. if your still with me I thank you. recently here in NH we have been getting snow and slush and I've been out playing and I'm very happy with my taco. granted I hate the ABS and the trac. Control which is out to kill me. moving down the road in 2w it feels loose but you know if she breaks you can pull it around with some controlled break and gas pumps. (I had weight in the back figured we weren't getting any more snow for the season so I took them out only 140lbs worth mainly just for sand if I can't get up an icy hill)in 4w the truck is very solid on slick roads I can pull left and right and the truck just goes left and right with little argument going at slow speeds 30 35mph. yesterday I pulled a police type car up a steep grade and a shoe box with wheels up the hill as well. if your from the area its the road leading to gunstock ski resort right by the rd cat path where the tuesday before was a 10 car pile up due to the snow which gave me the motivation to help those cars out. so me real question is how does every feel about there taco in the snow? other then those annoying computers out to kill us like the terminator.

2. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Going to be honest, I read less than half of your post :D

I am in North Dakota, just moved here from Oklahoma and always had a front wheel drive car. So driving a Tacoma in the snow has been a learning curve. But I think it does pretty well. Turn on your 4WD and slow down, and you'll be fine as long as the folks around you behave. I forgot to turn on my 4WD once and lost control on a patch of ice, started to spin, got it back under control but too late to keep from going across the oncoming lane and down into a little ravine by the road. All's well that ends well, and lesson learned.

Put some tube sand or something over the rear axle. That'll help. Good luck and safe travels!

3. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs
    Cold.

4. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    WheelinJ91

WheelinJ91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    I also didnt read your post, but the only time i have problems is wearing my work boots and somtimes dont hit the break right as i have a 6spd MT other then that i drive my taco in 2wd in a 1.5 feet of snow with no problems, i do recomend some sand sacks or driving in 4x4 though.

5. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    Honey Badger1

Member:
    First Name:
    Trip
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Fuzzy Dice, Fighter pilot mod, power ports always on, GPS wired to come on as key is turned, LED Map/dome lights, all weather mats, bed liner, tool box on rail system, Tinted tail lights, repainted badges, Home made grill, Light mounting bracket with two 6 inch. PIAA Drive lights, Stealth mod DTRL on/ off, leather arm rests, door and center.
    thanks for the honesty, its not a matter of how i drive for the post but how you feel it goes, and situations you've been in and gotten out of with your tacoma in the snow. Thats my fault for not making that clear still working on my first cup of coffee

Thanks!

6. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    Honey Badger1

Member:
    First Name:
    Trip
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    how do you tie down your tube sand I put mine right up against my tailgate using the floor tie downs and some 550 cord and a ratchet strap

7. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    in the snow, my truck handles excellent. 12 inches of snow is no issue, but it starts to get challenging around 24 inches, and at 36 inches i can get stuck.

the ice, however, is a whole other story. the MTZ's arent that great for ice, but they do have a little bit is siping (for what its worth). i have yet to spin out or slide off the road, but thats more due to driving much slower and being much more cautious :)

8. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.

I dont have the bags in right now, but i just put a sack on each side right beside the wheel well ( where you need the weight) and i don't tie them down the things dont move unless im really hard when flying around corners, only reason i would ever go abouts tieing them is to not heve them stolen and really if you feel like taking my sand bags then i guess you need em more the I. i know if i have good traction and drop clutch and floor it then they slide and hit the tailgate but agian i have to make em do it.

9. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    oh and if you dont want it sliding you could put it between the wheel well and the tail gate and you still shouldnt have to tie it down.

10. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Tires, on any truck, can make a big difference. Thats why a lot of folks will have a summer set and a winter set. That said, my Tacomas always handled finewith stock tires in the wet/snowy Chicago winters. :)

11. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    i read your entire post....see you in the median on 93 north....ill wave as i go by :D

12. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB

nah man he will be fine, I have only once come close to losing it once and i was in 4x4 but hit black ice, but i remained as calm as possible and was able to pull out of it by releasing breaks after stearing in the direction i wanted to go. All i can say is drive for the weather <--- This saves lives.

Almost everyone i watch go into the ditch is driveing as if it was dry clear weather.

13. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    cast71

cast71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC SR5 4X4 I4
    yellow wire mod, mud flap mod, differential breather mod, steering shaft tsb, rear leaf spring tsb
    I don't think there's much more you can do than slowing down and having a good set of snow tires in ice conditions. Ice sux!!!!! I have a set of blizzaks and tested them pretty good in severe ice conditions this year. I always hit 4x4, since it only takes a second to lose control. I also have two 70lb bags of sand in front of the rear axle against the cab. I put extra drings in the bed to tie them down. Snow is a piece of cake:D

14. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    pcledrew

pcledrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    I live in Northern Alberta. Everyone here drives 1/2 - 1 Ton trucks. I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy for work, a 2012 with traction control and stabilitrak. The tacoma wins hands down on snow and ice, even though I run all terrain tires on my Tacoma, and there's specific snow and ice tires on my work truck. I would not trust the Chevy nearly as much on the highway as I do my Tacoma.
    Bottom line, Tacoma on snow and / or ice = good.

15. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    bluefish

bluefish overkill is underrated

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    too funny

16. Mar 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    pop639

pop639 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    16 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Is this thread for real? I do snow removal for a living and there is no doubt in my mind that a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton pickup will do better than any of our tacomas. Our trucks are simply too light. It doesn't matter how much weight you put over the rear wheels (1000 lbs would definitely help but that's not realistic)........sub'd for the laughs

17. Mar 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    My 4x4 AC is no better than so-so in the snow. IMO it is unforgivable to design a truck without sufficient clearance for front chains. In six inches of wet snow our Subaru Impreza with Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires will run rings around the Tacoma with no chains on either. Unfortunately the ground clearance isn't there for deeper snow or the Subie would be our go-to snow vehicle over the Tacoma under all conditions. The Tacoma gets the job done with studded Toyo M-55 tires and rear chains with moderate slipping and sliding in wet snow but next time I'll get it some Nokian Hakkalipitas for winter. Maybe that will make the difference.

18. Mar 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I was breaking a trail through fairly deep snow on a mountain road in Oregon once -- and pretty pleased with myself -- until a girl in a Subaru Outback passed me like I was driving a 2WD family sedan.

I really wish Toyota trucks came with full-time 4WD, especially for patchy snow/ice conditions; however, chain up and there's not too many places you won't be able to go in a Tacoma unless the snow is up to your hood.

This winter I pulled several SUVs and full-size pickups out of drifts (to give them credit though none were chained). Chains and reasonable speeds are the key to deep-snow driving (OP, it's idiotic to drive 65 mph during a storm -- if you would have been in an accident it would have been completely your fault). I remember chaining up my tiny 1980 2WD pickup and pulling a sled on roads that the snowplow hadn't hit yet -- it did great as long as I didn't have to turn too sharply.

Edit: I just reread the original post. Not only did the OP claim to be driving 65 mph in hazardous conditions he claims to have done it for several miles in the breakdown lane -- this is totally irresponsible, and illegal, behavior.

19. Mar 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Great traction. I have BFG ATs and when I put it in 4WD, I try to drift in an icy turn and it doesn't slide at all. Love it
    FYI, I don't do that all the time. I tried it once in a safe turn to where the worst would happen is sliding into a field. No ditch.

20. Mar 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Mine does fine :)

[​IMG]