1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

voice dialing with iphone over BT factory radio

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Squirrellydw, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    So I have an iphone 4S with the factory radio (not entune) and I have a couple questionss.

1. Do I have load all my contacts into the radio, if so how do I send a contact from my iPhone to the radio? I know how to add someone with my voice.

2. With the above can I send ALL my contacts at once?

3. Do I have to load my contacts at all or can I just use it through my iPhone?

4. Why can't I just say "Call Home"

2. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    OK but can I dial my phone though the BT steering wheel controls? For example just say "Call Home"

3. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    MountainDog

MountainDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Double Cab Off Road
    Vinyl floor; 265/75/16 Duratracs; SnugTop Rebel
    I have my iPhone 4S connected by BT and no contacts loaded on the radio. I hold down the home button on the phone to activate SIRI. SIRI comes across on the radio's speaker and uses the truck's microphone in the mirror. You can do anything with SIRI then: call, text, play music, etc.
    I have not found any way to activate SIRI by using the steering wheel controls. That would be awesome though. For now I just keep my phone on the console and hit the home button when I need to use it.
    Note- if you receive a phone call you can use the steering wheel controls to answer and hang up the phone.

4. Mar 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    jonatay

jonatay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    '19 Black DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    I actually prefer to use the stereo presets. I push the off hook button on the steering wheel, then press the preset on the stereo for the desired contact and then the off hook button on the steering wheel again. I personally feel this is safer than messing with my phone and I don't have to worry about it misunderstanding what I am saying when I try to tell it who to call.

5. Mar 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Thanks, I like this idea. So you have the everything paired and not just the phone correct? When you recieve a call does SIRI say anything or does anything show up on the radio?

I don't like that I have to load my contacts into the radio. I am going to try this out. It would be nice to be able to activate SIRI using the steering wheel controls.

6. Mar 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    MountainDog

MountainDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Double Cab Off Road
    Vinyl floor; 265/75/16 Duratracs; SnugTop Rebel
    The salesman actually paired my iPhone when I bought the truck. It just uses the BT for everything. It's worked great.
    I honestly don't recall what comes on the radio screen when I use the phone. Haven't paid attention. It does show the music title, artist etc when I'm streaming from a playlist or Pandora.

I keep the phone in the lone cup holder in the center console. I don't have to take my eyes off the road at all to reach over and activate SIRI, and she pretty much always gets my commands right.

Products Discussed in

To Top