Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Garage Door Opener

Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
Garage Door Opener

Is it just me, or is there no spot for a garage door opener in a Taco? I have an 07 TRD Sport. and the visor is too thick to clip it on and as far as I can tell the overhead console has no place for one. My 07 4 Runner has three buttons on the overhead console that can learn three different codes. I ended up removing the clip from the opener, applying 3m double sided tape to the back of it, and sticking it to the indentation in the dash were the e-brake is (on the 6 speed). Did I just invent a mod?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know about the '07's, but my '09 has a spot in the overhead console.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 only has the drop down sun glass holder....unless I'm missing something.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
if you have the overhead temp/compass, than no garage opener slot. i couldn't clip my opener to the visor either but my opener is pretty small and fits nicely in the slot next to the shifter. i want to eventually get a replacement rear view mirror with home link buttons built in
Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoJ View Post
Is it just me, or is there no spot for a garage door opener in a Taco? I have an 07 TRD Sport. and the visor is too thick to clip it on and as far as I can tell the overhead console has no place for one. My 07 4 Runner has three buttons on the overhead console that can learn three different codes. I ended up removing the clip from the opener, applying 3m double sided tape to the back of it, and sticking it to the indentation in the dash were the e-brake is (on the 6 speed). Did I just invent a mod?
You can get a rearview mirror that will open your garage door.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 07 only has the drop down sun glass holder....unless I'm missing something.

My 2008 has that, too. But my opener is small enough to fit in there. I put my glasses by the cup holders under the radio in that empty spot down there.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I keep mine in the little cubby below the switch bank to the left of my steering wheel.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
TEXMEX TACO
alexamado is on a distinguished road

alexamado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get a homelink auto-dimming mirror.

Nice...where did you get it at???
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #11
bryan83taco is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, HSC 3/7 SFG (A)
bryan83taco's Tacoma Gallery
My 06' came with one of those homelink mirrors when I bought it (bought it used). The Auto dimming feature is great. Now I just need to fix the garage door
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get a homelink auto-dimming mirror.

Sweet! How hard is it to wire up?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
my '06 has a spot for one in front of the lights in the over head.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I cliped mine on the plastic cover under the steering wheel. I had to make sure it went over the plastic & rubber so it fits tite. It works great, cant see it, just reach down and press it.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Opener-trd-005.jpg   Garage Door Opener-trd-006.jpg  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
I have opener velcroed in the small compartment to the left if the steering wheel.I just drop down the door and press the button.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #19
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
My question along with this though.. I have an 09 TRD Sport.. so I lose the opener compartment for the compass center as well. With the homelink mirror you lose the backup camera dont you?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #20
fuel100 has a spectacular aura aboutfuel100 has a spectacular aura about

fuel100's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a universal door opener at Lowes for $25 and programmed it to my door. It's the size of the key fob for our Tacos and I keep it on my keychain. There have been theives around here breaking into cars, stealing garage door openers and insurance cards (with the address of the person who ownes the car). They take the door opener to that address and steal everything in the home during the day. I like having my opener on me at all times.