1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of buying a used Taco, many many many many many many many many questions...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jedirye, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Dec 10, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Hey all,
    So yes, I've been perusing the classifieds as I have recently got a bug up me to buy a Taco. I have been a huge fan of their design since the body style change in '05. I can't buy a new one because I don't want to finance that much at one time. Right now I have a paid off 2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 with 103k ("Black Book" value at $7-$9k). I've been looking at the classifieds every day and every where and found a nice little Taco the next state north and really like everything about it. It's a 2006 Access Cab PreRunner V6 with approximately 28k miles. Now, keep in mind, all of the negotiating is over the phone because they are seven hours away. I realize this is a huge distance, but I'd gladly take the trip for this truck. The only downside is to this little dealership, I'm all talk because I'm not there. I can't justify a trip there only to be turned down though by the offer. I'm here for tips about negotiating. Without seeing my truck the guy offered "$6500, but I may offer less if I don't like it, etc." Shoot, my Uncle just traded in his Dodge Ram with 260,000 (yes, 260k) and got $5,500, so I figure I can gain another grand or so in that department. Without even mentioning the price on his truck, he changed it from 17k to "The lowest I can go is 15.5" which heck, I think is a great deal. I think KBB on it was 17 or 18. Ideally, I'd like to finance like 5-6k total which would be great for me. I think it would be a great way for me to start building my credit back up as I have limited sourses for that (a credit card and motorcycle payment (dirtbike) which has got maybe $600 left. What do you think I could get for this and how should I go about it? Ideally I'd like to get her before the end of the year, which leaves me little time.
    I've contemplated other dealerships locally for a new truck, but they quoted me like $22k for the four cylinder version access cab (which appeals to be more actually) but I can't imagine what I would get it for in the end. $22k is just too much, shouldn't they want to be getting rid of them??

Also, in 2010 isn't Toyota releasing a diesel version of the Tacoma that gets 30-35mpg?? Decisions decisions...

In the end how much do you think I could get the used '06 for and also the brand new '09 at the local dealership???

Thanks!

-rye

2. Dec 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    i got my used 06 w/ 23,000 miles for $28,000 or less i cant remember. Im not certain on the diesel tacoma yet

3. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:01 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    Got my 06 in march with 20,019 for 21k even

4. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:10 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    Got my 2007 in September with 21,000 miles for 19k. It was a steal!

As for the diesel...it will probably have a lot of problems. Anytime a new vehicle is released or usually even a new generation they typically have problems. Not always, but usually

5. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I got my '05 Access cab Prerunner TRD with 28K miles for $17K OTD.

6. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:12 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Also, Toyota has no plans to release a Diesel Taco in the US.

7. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I purchased my 2007 new with 18 miles I put on it for $28k. It may be worth waiting to get a brand new truck and spending a little more. I have made the mistake of buying used and paying what I thought was a good deal only to find out that for a few thousand more I could have bought brand new. I traded in my 2002 prerunner for $12.5k only to have the dealer sell it the next day for $16.5k, I bought that truck with 18k miles used for $18.5k then traded it with 86k miles 4yrs later.

8. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    i picked up an 06 trd offroad sr5 v6 6 speed in spd blue with 25k on the clock for 22 out the door, with full bumper to bumper warenty and brand new tires

9. Dec 10, 2008 at 8:31 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    I got my second o6 with 22,000 miles $18999 sept.

10. Dec 11, 2008 at 4:43 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Negative on the diesel Taco.

Research used car sites like CarMax and AutoTrader for the same truck/options and compare the prices. KBB suggested retail for an 06 Access Cab V6 TRD Prerunner is $19500. 09's are going to run you close to 30K, but definately not less than 20k. Toyota is not suffering like the other dealerships, so they are not going to give them away. Tacos also hold their value better than most vehicles which is why you might consider the used prices to be on the high end. They also last longer and people keep them longer so it is harder to find them used.

Get a lot of pics, interior/exterior/engine and underneath, from the dealer, also have them send you a list of all the options/packages on the truck so you can confirm which packages/options ie. TRD, SR5, Convenience options etc. are on the truck. I have seen dealers list Tacos as TRD and SR5 when they weren't and add extra thousands on for those options.
    Post that info up here and all these helpful people will help confirm/deny what the dealer is trying to sell to you.

Go to the bank or credit union and see what they will finance you for, get your loan before you go to the dealer. You have 30 days to return it if you don't use it (check w/bank for specific terms) and if you have less than perfect credit and don't know that you will get financed at least you know what you are in for before you plan the trip. The bank can give you a blank check good up to a certain amount and you can write it for less if that is the deal you make. Then you don't have to haggle a price with the dealer, tell him you give him so much with all taxes, fees ect included. Check www.bankrate.com, www.edmunds.com, www.kbb.com to get started.
    Good luck and post your progress. Get as much info as possible from the dealer!!

11. Dec 11, 2008 at 5:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check the motor mounts

12. Dec 11, 2008 at 5:11 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    ^^ Lots of good suggestions here ^^

1. If you can, try to sell your truck on craigslist (its free w/ pics) before buying, you will have much more leverage walking into the dealer without a trade especially one over 100 clicks on the odo.

2. Not sure what area you are in but if you can find an 08, you will get a great deal over used. Initially I was looking used, but got a good deal on a leftover new 06 DC 4WD for $24,500 plus TTL in Mar 07. Now with economy, you may be able to score a nice deal yourself.

3. Getting rid of them? ....dealers will go down in flames before giving anything, well Toyota dealers. These trucks hold their value. Also it sounds like you have a good start building on your credit with payment history on previous toys. :thumbsup:

Good luck with finding a toyota .... honestly don't believe a word on the phone, the only thing that counts is after you leave the F&I guys office and what is on the paper you signed. Be careful and minimize the smoke & mirrors!

13. Dec 12, 2008 at 5:31 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    What about motor mounts?

I will looking into the preapproved load deal with my bank (a credit union). Right now I'm working with CarsDirect to give me a good estimate. Regardless, I'm starting to think the guy's $15.5 price tag for an '06 with like 28k is a good deal, no?

-rye

14. Dec 12, 2008 at 5:59 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    I bought my 05 TRD Sport PreRunner Access Cab in September with 48K for $16,500 in Michigan. This was from a dealership that actually had 3 other people want to buy it while I was "negotiating" with them but nobody could get financed except for me.

Prices for these trucks can vary widely depending on what part of the country you are in also.

15. Dec 12, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    ChibbMD

ChibbMD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab
    No offense intended, but a person might need to work on their negotiation skills if they could only get a used car price within a few thousand of new. And even if there was only a $3,000-4,000 difference, what does that equal out to over the life of the note?

I've bought two used Tacoma's in the past nine months (unfortunately one was totaled in a no-fault accident). The first was an 07 purchased early in 08 and the most recent was an 08 purchased a month ago. Both with less than 10,000 miles. Both saved me $5,000 off the lowest new price I negotiated (over the life of the note).

For me, and for many here, $5,000 is probably not that big of a deal but if you consider that the Taco's are approx. $25,000 trucks, that's a 20% savings. That's a pretty big savings on what for many folks is the first or second biggest purchase they make (next to a home). And with both of my purchases I drove off the lot in a truck worth more than I paid (I found this out in my insurance settlement). That's almost impossible in a new rig.

I will agree that there are some smokin deals to be had on brand new 08's but they're getting harder to find and you might have a hard time finding one in the color you want or with the options you want.

Sorry to carry on about this but I've just never been able to justify the additional cost of a new vehicle.

16. Dec 12, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I know there aren't any plans for a diesel Tacoma in the US, but considering that the Hilux's have diesel engines, I don't think this would be as big a deal if a diesel was made for the Tacoma... it's not like they'd be making a new diesel engine with nothing to go on.

17. Dec 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    not meant to scare you but check this out: I bought my 07 trd access cab off road 4x4 w/ 12,500miles for $23,000. I also did a road trip to buy my truck it was in reno about 5 hrs from me.

18. Dec 13, 2008 at 1:01 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I browsed around real quick and yes the $15.5 looks reasonable, but like I mentioned verify what packages/options are really on the vehicle, being that its coming used from a non-toyota dealer the dealer most likely has no idea how many different configurations these trucks come with. Simply having TRD package or not will change the price at least 1k close to 2k and SR5 is the next pricest options that will change it at least a few hundred to even 1k. I compared KBB for a standard equipped and with TRD SR5 and the difference is roughy $1500.
    Also is the $15.5 including all tax, fees etc.? You have to take those into consideration on your total price to make sure you have enough on the loan.
    Best place is to start at the bank so you know the most you can get approved for and what your payment will be with the highest amount, then negotiate down from that amount and you will know you can afford the payment. The credit union might also request the vehicle information before they approve the loan to make sure it is an acceptable price that they are willing to pay, since they technically own the vehicle while you are paying them. They won't give you more than they think it's worth so they don't take a big hit if they have to repo it, but that shouldn't be a problem with this truck at that price I'd think.

19. Dec 13, 2008 at 6:14 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    word to the wise: my bank wouldn't give loan on a out of state truck, could be a california thing though. And also I look at dealer adds all the time for the tacos (addicted, I know) and they all classify a TRD as a off road, when they really are the sport w/ no rear diff. Just use a keen eye, and don't fall in love on first sight, wait till the deal is over to do that.

20. Dec 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    damn you got robbed!!!!i paid 27k for a new 08 d/c l/b 4wd loaded minus the trd package.
    i wouldnt hold my breath for the diesel packege

Products Discussed in

To Top