Notices

OEM roof rack installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Jesse22876 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jesse
Jesse22876's Tacoma Gallery
OEM roof rack installation

I just purchased the OEM roof rack for the secound gen Tacoma. I was wondering about the installation. I hear it is bolt on. Is it a very invovled process or easy. I generlly install all my mods on my truck myself. Any info would be much appreciated
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
its easy, just follow the instruction manual
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
AstroluxAtom is on a distinguished road
AstroluxAtom's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you buy your roof rack? I want one but I wonder if I should go to the dealer and get it or just keep searching.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
skeeert
CopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kins
CopyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse22876 View Post
I just purchased the OEM roof rack for the secound gen Tacoma. I was wondering about the installation. I hear it is bolt on. Is it a very invovled process or easy. I generlly install all my mods on my truck myself. Any info would be much appreciated
Quick and easy as previously mentioned. Just follow the directions and done. Easily 30mins ~ 10 mins per side with 10mins deciphering the directions and sorting your parts.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Thanks for the info on install. Just didn't want to get into creating any problems like leaks or whatever. I purchase mine from the dealership as per AsrtroluxAtom. You really don't save money getting it else where and your prob better off getting it at the dealer.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
PVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Like others have said its very easy. Do a google search on the rack and check some online stores. I got mine (can't remember where from) for $212 shipped.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Army: U.S. Army
Name: Pete
Palmetto Pete's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered mine last week and it should be here this week. Really looking forward to getting it installed. Does the hardware kit include the required torx bits or do I need to go out and buy them? Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Pete View Post
I ordered mine last week and it should be here this week. Really looking forward to getting it installed. Does the hardware kit include the required torx bits or do I need to go out and buy them? Thanks for the help in advance!
need to buy them I believe
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
blogs is on a distinguished road
blogs's Tacoma Gallery
It is an easy installation.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure your torque wrench is for inch pounds, even tho the directions are labeled ftlb-in. You will easily snap the head of the bolts and turn a 30 minute job into a 3 hour job extracting a bolt
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
You really don't need a torque wrench to do this. If you use a 1/4" ratchet with the hex bit attachment just tighten the bolts until they are snug. Using the small 1/4" ratchet should prevent you from overtightening them--which is what you are trying to avoid. Also, it is pretty typical for the front of the racks on at least one side to not sit completely flush. When you use the awl to pull the front holes into position move it around until you get the most "flush" fit and then snug the bolts down (this should make sense once you read the directions). I did notice on the most recent one I installed that Toyota is now putting some sort of spacer between the rack and the weatherstrip at the front to help it sit more flush.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Palmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant futurePalmetto Pete has a brilliant future

Do you know what size hex bits I need? Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you know what size hex bits I need? Thanks for everyone's help!
You need two sizes. I think a T25 and a T30. You can buy a set of like 8 bits and an attachment for a 1/4" ratchet. Something like this would be perfect. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-35187.html
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #15

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
You need two sizes. I think a T25 and a T30. You can buy a set of like 8 bits and an attachment for a 1/4" ratchet. Something like this would be perfect. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-35187.html
And the best thing about the HF bits is you can't overtorque the fastener.

The tool will strip out long before any grade-3 bolt
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
When I ordered mine it came with all the hardware to install it
Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #18

Installed mine last night . . . Pictures to follow later. I have a small gap on both my passenger and driver side. After reading all of the other posts about the OEM roof rack I figure this is normal. Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
You really don't need a torque wrench to do this. If you use a 1/4" ratchet with the hex bit attachment just tighten the bolts until they are snug. Using the small 1/4" ratchet should prevent you from overtightening them--which is what you are trying to avoid. Also, it is pretty typical for the front of the racks on at least one side to not sit completely flush. When you use the awl to pull the front holes into position move it around until you get the most "flush" fit and then snug the bolts down (this should make sense once you read the directions). I did notice on the most recent one I installed that Toyota is now putting some sort of spacer between the rack and the weatherstrip at the front to help it sit more flush.
Not everyone has torque sensitive hands, and it would be very easy to over tighten & break a bolt or chew threw the plastic, or under tighten and have your rack get lifted off your cab with all your gear. You also want to make sure you tighten to specs to allow the mastic washers to seal the bolt holes water tight to prevent leaks.

Read the instructions provided by toyota and follow the torque specs.

<sarcasm>
OP, I quoted the above post for future reference in case your rack flies off, or your break a bolt, or your cab leaks.

Matts11 sounds like a certified mechanic, and you should ask him if he is willing to back any advice he gives about installing the roof rack with his very own wallet.
</sarcasm>
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
Quote:
Installed mine last night . . . Pictures to follow later. I have a small gap on both my passenger and driver side. After reading all of the other posts about the OEM roof rack I figure this is normal. Any thoughts?
The brackets that you install forward of the cab can be bent a little bit to decrease or eliminate that gap. Its to late now unless you order some new mastic washers and remove the rack, bend the bracket where the yellow locking click goes in a little bit forward, then install the rest of the racks.

I found it while searching a thread about the same issue. It bugged me enough to fix one side.

Products Discussed in this Thread