1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Top Tier Gasoline

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gregg, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I've never seen it have an effect on mileage.

Some people swear by it. All I say is that it offers more peak power and better knock protection when towing.

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I know that I lost some power on 87 in my truck-I did not imagine it. Which is why I have been paying the extra bucks for 91 all these 11 years. The normal around town accelleration sucked. The quarter to third of throttle pickup I usually feel was gone. Keep in mind, my truck is about 3700lbs with the shell, 190hp/220ft lbs. I'm gonna feel any subtraction of timing with that combo.
    You are probably right with 2nd gens-what is yours like 4000lbs, 236hp/266ft lbs-only a slight increase in weight, yet considerably more power especially torque which you agree is what matters, so any variation in timing you get in yours may not be felt nearly as much.
    Anyways, all I know is I am afraid to switch to 87 because of my experience.

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Almost 4500lbs actually. Toyota fatass'd these things.

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Some do, yes. Fuel for different brand stations does come from the same refinery and often even the same tanker trucks. From what I've read the trucks either mix in the additive packs when they are unloading fuel, or in some cases the tanker is compartmentalized with different blends. Fuel trucks often carry gasoline, diesel, etc in one tanker. So, Chevron and Shell stations do have proprietary add packs in their fuel.

Saying a vehicle is "happy" or "loves" something is just a fairly common figure of speech. I'm not sure why you're so concerned about it. It's not like we actually believe our car is a living thing with human emotion. The vehicles can however have a measurable positive reaction to differing materials, fuel, etc.

And, Sony and Toyota did at one point make a car for the Japanese that did, in fact, have multiple emotions that it displayed. Mechanical, non-feeling programmed emotions.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I don't know if it still holds true, but back when I used to be into hot rods a lot (no money these days, thanks truck payment LOL), most of the car mags said you had to have a pretty substantial improvement in horsepower and torque to feel it in the butt-dyno.

As in, more than 15-25HP, usually.

So, that means if you can really feel it, it's quite a bit of power we're losing just to fuel grade. It would be interesting to actually get one of these trucks on a dyno with regular versus premium fuel. However, if it takes 4-5 tanks to get the difference in, it's a little hard to get a true scientific test out of it. That opens a lot of variables for precision.

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I think it's the HP to weight thing-hell when I did the elbow mod on my Tacoma I felt every bit of that extra 4hp I picked up lol
    I've had my time with fast v8s myself. I also had a 1986 fullsize Jimmy with an anemic little 305v8. It was all of 160hp and 240ft lbs @ 4100lbs! When I did a tuneup on that thing even the slightest subtraction of timing I could feel it.

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Was it B.T. Barnum that said "there's a sucker born every minute"? ;)

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I get a chuckle out of the guys that say they run 87 and never feel the engine knocking. Of course you don't. That's the whole point of computer compensated timing. The sensors feel the knock long before you can and retard the timing. The 4.0 makes enough power that ordinary driving rarely makes the difference felt. Anything that taxes the engine like towing, makes the difference obvious.

9. Mar 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The additive is injected at the rack when the trucks load. I've said it here before; the additives you pay more for are about 99% of the time identical to all the other companies' additives. It's all marketing.

I promise you don't notice the difference between 7-11's additive quantity, and the extra .05% that Shell adds.

Either way, buy what you feel works the best.

10. Mar 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I try to stick to the better names but I can't say I feel any difference in most cases. Some brands in particular seem to be worse. I quit using Arco years ago because of dieseling problems in some older vehicles. I think there are some inferior fuels. The additives are not just for detergent quality either. There is also an octane modifier package. In any case, I don't rely on their additives. I use my own and have had much better luck with that.

11. Mar 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There are no gasoline additives that modify octane as they are loaded onto the truck. Gas goes out at the same octane it comes in at.

12. Mar 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Not sure if this is in here already, but from what I've read, is that back in the day, some brands typically had more detergents/cleaning agents in their fuel. Then the EPA (or whatever gov body) stepped in and set a req'd minimum for all gas regardless of octane. That meant that some brands had to add additives and others, in order to save a few dollars, cut theirs back to the req'd minimum.

That said, if you want more detergent, buy a bottle and dump it in? If you want more octane, but a bottle of boost or buy premium gas. Just don't assume you get more detergent in the premium blend. The bottle is likely cheaper and you'll have a better idea of what you're getting, IMO.

13. Mar 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Thank you for coming here. I've enjoyed the majority of your posts, primarily because we agree :D

14. Mar 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I have run ARCO regular 87 in all my vehicles for the last 8 years, usually with Lucas fuel treatment every other tank or so. I've never had any fuel- or octane-related problems of any kind. Granted I don't tow heavy loads or work my engines very hard. Anyway... ARCO is kind of a mid-tier brand, it's not rotten gas and it's not Chevron either. I don't see the point in spending more for fancy gas when my vehicles have always run great on the cheaper stuff. My $0.02

15. Mar 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    My engine was designed to run on regular gas, and that's what I put in. Not wasting my money on premium.

Back to the original topic of this thread, Top Tier is simply a list of gas that has enough effective detergent, meaning Techron. There are additives that do not contain Techron, stay away from those.

16. Mar 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Kailey Jo

Kailey Jo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD
  17. Mar 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I consistently use Shell, the only Top Tier in this area. The grade I use is dependent upon my mood. I don't care about my trucks mood as long as it runs.

18. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    LOL, a Chevron employee or exec, perhaps? :confused:

There are other effective detergents that exist besides Techron.

For example, Shell's "nitrogen-enriched" fuels. Also, Red Line's SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner. I'm just sayin'...

19. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    Just sayin", those additives you listed, I beleive contain Techron. Doesn't have to be Chevron to have Techron.

20. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The whole "Nitrogen Enrighed" thing is a joke. Adding Nitrogen into the fuel is stupid. This would increase the Oxides of N2 in the CC, which would lead to carbon build up, and other emissions. Its all just BS marketing, trying to throw big catch frazes at the public to make them think their shit is better. ALL fuels have to meet Federal regulations regarding a min. addative group to maintain clean burning engines. Most all of these addatives are the same shit, just given a different name. Kinda like saying that you have "clean" dirt, vs. the competitors "dirty" dirt. ITS STILL DIRT! "Top Teir" fuels are those that simply have more of the correct addatives than the min. required.

Products Discussed in

To Top