LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Secret to remove tailgate hinge bolt

Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
tenui is on a distinguished road
tenui's Tacoma Gallery
Secret to remove tailgate hinge bolt

I ordered one of the GateKeeper hinge covers for a 2011 Tacoma. Is there any secret to getting the one torq hinge bolt off? Its painted over. I tried with a pretty heavy duty torq nut but it keeps slipping off. Is there a secret to getting this bolt broken free?

Thanks in advance!

-john
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
From what I read, '09+ Tacos have that Torx screw welded on. That's why many tailgate accessories like the EZDown gas strut says '05-'08.

The Gatekeeper thing isn't any more secure than a keyed hose clamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Turn-Key...ata/B000JTOWN8
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
tenui's Tacoma Gallery
I thought painted on was bad...It being welded on would suck! I figured the chances of someone having a screw driver would be more likely vs a hex wrench. I was also considering putting in a center post security nut. I totally understand that if someone wants it bad enough... But, I live near a city and really am just avoiding the kids playing "let's hide the tailgate" game.... I know a hose clamp is a lot cheaper but for $25, I'm much happier with the end result. That is, if I can get this bolt off...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The hose clamp has a plastic key that can be pulled off, leaving a square stub.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The hose clamp has a plastic key that can be pulled off, leaving a square stub.
And a 12-point socket will line up perfectly
Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Gate keeper will not tell you that it's tacked, I tried and striped the torx so I ended up eating it. Bought a master lock tailgate lock.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
SS Hose clamp with head facing down when tailgate is open. You have to lay on the ground and have a long shaft screw driver to loosen it up. Although overkill perhaps since the clamp remains in place after being tightened, I placed some heat shrink on the clamp to avoid any paint scratches.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Of course, all this is moot if you have a Pop-N-Lock.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
tenui's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Of course, all this is moot if you have a Pop-N-Lock.
I have no need for the Pop-N-Lock.

I have the integrated camera and also don't want an extra key just for the tailgate. I'm not looking for secure stowage. I just don't want my tailgate to walk away. I'm fine with the hose clamp I guess. Its a hack but should serve my purpose.

Does anyone have any clarification on where the tack is? Is it tacked on the inside? Can it be cut? I'm just not convinced its welded. What's the point of the extra labor/parts to bolt the hinges on if they are just going to weld the bracket on? And, why weld it if they are going to bolt them on with heavy duty torq bolts with locking washers?

If it truly is welded and the GateKeeper doesn't work for '09+ Tacomas, I'll update the Sticky thread so the next guy doesn't waste $30. (or is it there and I missed it???)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have a Pop N Lock on my truck. I have no real need for a locking tailgate other than keeping my tailgate on my truck. Having one extra small key is really no big deal. Also I have a backup camera too. Pop & Lock designed a unit for 09 and up Tacos with a backup camera.

I also use this a Bully tailgate lock.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have a Pop N Lock on my truck. I have no real need for a locking tailgate other than keeping my tailgate on my truck. Having one extra small key is really no big deal. Also I have a backup camera too. Pop & Lock designed a unit for 09 and up Tacos with a backup camera.

I also use this a Bully tailgate lock.
+1

pop n lock is pretty awesome, say what you want about that extra key but imo it's worth it, i also have it coupled with a bully, and the washer mod

Products Discussed in this Thread