Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
fj's are sweet, and more capable than the tacoma in stock form offroad. Very nice interiors and a manual transfer case.
Actually FJs were rated less capable than Tacos. The new 4runner trail was second and the Wrangler first.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
fj's are sweet, and more capable than the tacoma in stock form offroad. Very nice interiors and a manual transfer case.
true that...the only drawback for me when driving the FJ was the blind spots when reversing, changing lanes, and turning etc.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOJAM View Post
I thought that as well but MAAAAAN does the Jeep Wrangler look so much more fun to drive than a tacoma. Take the doors and top off and let the good times roll. Too bad toyota doesn't build something similar to the Jeep Wrangler.
I have driven a 2011 (yes not the new 2012) manual and found it rather annoyingly tight for me 6'4" 215 lbs and my head hits the rollbar/roof support and legs are all tight. My current Jetta has more driver room... And try loading a Jeep up with camping equip. Doesn't work that well.

JMHO

But I do wish Toyota made a removable top FJ
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #25
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Actually FJs were rated less capable than Tacos. The new 4runner trail was second and the Wrangler first.
Just wondering who rated these? link?

EDIT: saw post above
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
Banned
SLOJAM is on a distinguished road
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
I have driven a 2011 (yes not the new 2012) manual and found it rather annoyingly tight for me 6'4" 215 lbs and my head hits the rollbar/roof support and legs are all tight. My current Jetta has more driver room... And try loading a Jeep up with camping equip. Doesn't work that well.

JMHO

But I do wish Toyota made a removable top FJ
Yeah I figured the room inside would be tight. That would be baddass if the FJ had a drop top. They would sell much more of them. The blind spot sux arse too.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Just wondering who rated these? link?

EDIT: saw post above
Remember that this is just offroad capability.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #28
Esteem is on a distinguished road

Esteem's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say it depends on how long you plan to keep it. I've owned a few jeeps and they do amazing off road but when it comes to a long life, they don't always last. They are great to 100,000 miles, after that, its hard to say if it will last another 100 or have big issues sooner. If you get rid of cars before that many miles, try the jeep.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #29
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Set aside the pervious Wrangler models....I want to know what the real deal is with the new and improved 2012 Wrangler.....
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #30
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Taco with a 6 foot bed, put a shell on it, drop in a Bedrug mat & you got yourself a cabin. You don't get that with a Wrangler! I love sleeping in my truck.

Given the reliability issues with Jeeps over the years, if I was to go the Wrangler route, I'd (A) always opt for the manual tranny and (B) get one that's several years old and save my money for mods and/or upgrades to fix it's shortcomings. I think they're awesome vehicles. But would definitely not buy a new one. A new Taco is worth the price. A new Wrangler not so much.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
AK SnowroxKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Remember that this is just offroad capability.
and when running at that
Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #32
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOJAM View Post
I thought that as well but MAAAAAN does the Jeep Wrangler look so much more fun to drive than a tacoma. Take the doors and top off and let the good times roll. Too bad toyota doesn't build something similar to the Jeep Wrangler. The FJ Cruiser is awesome but a different animal and more expensive. Too bad American vehicles suck arse, you'd think they would be just as good as toyota now. Everybody raves about the Ford F-150 but it looks like Ford took a step back into time with that boxy front styling, looks like poo poo to me.

SAW ZAW
Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #33
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteem View Post
I'd say it depends on how long you plan to keep it. I've owned a few jeeps and they do amazing off road but when it comes to a long life, they don't always last. They are great to 100,000 miles, after that, its hard to say if it will last another 100 or have big issues sooner. If you get rid of cars before that many miles, try the jeep.
first major engine problems on a wrangler means its time for a small block chevy!!! lol
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #34
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Get a Taco with a 6 foot bed, put a shell on it & you got yourself a cabin. You don't get that with a Wrangler.
Agreed! I'm really dead set on the tacoma and have been for many years. I'm in a position to pull the trigger but I'm holding off and taking my time this time around. I'm exploring my options. The main reason I want a p/u truck is to haul a motorcycle or other shit in the bed and heading out in the mountains a few times a year to do some camping and light off-roading, also having the ability to plow through blizzards with the 4x4.. The Jeep Wrangler looks enticing b/c of cruising the streets w/o doors and a top and hitting the trails w/o the top and doors for more fun off-roading. Maybe I'll try and rent one for a weekend and see how I like it. I'm going to try and rent a tacoma and F150 as well and make a final decision.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #35
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thought about trading the Tacoma in for a 2012 Ruby
Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #36
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
I like having a bed, something that is known to be reliable, something that is comfortable and secure at 80 mph for my 30 mile each way daily commute, and something I can lovingly call a Mexican food and get strange looks...

Wranglers are probably fun if you can afford them as a "drive when you want" vehicle or for short commutes but to me the Tacoma is a superior "drive because you have to" vehicle, hence why I traded my 2011 Civic Si in for the Taco...
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #37
Oysterhead is on a distinguished road
Oysterhead's Tacoma Gallery
Little unfair to compare a $30k Taco to a >$40k Rubicon or Raptor. Let me add >$10k in mods and then have a shoot out.

And I'd take on that 4runner anytime.

Jeeps are uncomfortable and crappy. The Taco is borderline with its limited comfort options, but light years beyond the Jeep.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #38
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
Well here is how things went for me the past month...

I had my 2008 that I wanted to trade in towards something new. The Jeep 4dr Manual was in my crosshairs as well as the Tacoma 4x4 Manual.

I started my research and here is why I decided on the 2012 Tacoma.

- First year for new engine on Jeep (working out those bugs)
- Price point on upgraded models are well beyond fully loaded Tacoma
- No bed and lack of usable storage area
- Lack of reliability from the parent company

I still LOVE the way the new Jeeps look when they are done right (tires etc) but it was way out of my price range and I could not justify loosing a truck with as much as I use the bed.

Good luck on your choice either way...

BTW - I am in love with my 2012
Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #39
SoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
SoJersey's Tacoma Gallery
I chose 'yota because I plan on driving it and not having a rental while my car I pay for sits in the shop.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #40
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
How does a jeep get good mileage, you're driving a billboard for god sakes.