Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #41
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
How does a jeep get good mileage, you're driving a billboard for god sakes.
A Taco gets acceptable(not good and not bad) MPG and it is a brick.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #42
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
one is a truck, on isnt..do you need a truck? or you just looking for a 4x4?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #43
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
i personally have driven a jeep on a daily basis , i would never ever again drive one as a daily driver simply because of comfort/drive it was just too horrible, lucky for me it was only a few months, and it was a 2004 wrangler

sure it was awesome off road with the short wheelbase etc, but daily driver, nooo thx
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #44
wormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to beholdwormfood is a splendid one to behold

Army: prior:Combat Engineer 21B, 6th Engineer Battalion  Fort Wainwright AK
Name: David
wormfood's Tacoma Gallery
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
one is a truck, on isnt..do you need a truck? or you just looking for a 4x4?
This is correct, my wife owns the 2012 Rubicon, loaded. I have a 2011 loaded TRD 4x4. I can tow 7000lbs, she can tow 1000lbs.

We love them both. They are two different vehicles.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #45
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeps are still billboards. And you will have less of a spine from the ride.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
cozmo is on a distinguished road
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
we've got both, and as much as i love my tacoma for what it is, every time we go somewhere we take the jeep. the 2012 motor is badass, people complaining about the ride confuse me. our jeep feels like a caddy compared to the taco, even before i had the BFG's. obviously the jeep isn't going to ride like a bmw or audi, but ours is super smooth. and i'm 6'5" and fit in the jeep just fine, so not sure what that one guys deal was, maybe he didn't move the seat all the way back?

i've never driven a v6 taco to compare, but the new jeeps aren't lacking in power, plus top off in moab a couple weeks back was sick

Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #47
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I guess what it boils down to is what you are going to use it for the majority of the time. If it is going to be used daily then the truck seems to be more comfortable and versatile.

For fun times on the weekends, the Jeep seems to be the choice I would go for.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #48
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
we've got both, and as much as i love my tacoma for what it is, every time we go somewhere we take the jeep. the 2012 motor is badass, people complaining about the ride confuse me. our jeep feels like a caddy compared to the taco, even before i had the BFG's. obviously the jeep isn't going to ride like a bmw or audi, but ours is super smooth. and i'm 6'5" and fit in the jeep just fine, so not sure what that one guys deal was, maybe he didn't move the seat all the way back?

i've never driven a v6 taco to compare, but the new jeeps aren't lacking in power, plus top off in moab a couple weeks back was sick

Your right driving a v6 Tacoma with sport seats is way different than a 4 banger Tacoma. I think they are very comfortable with the lumbar seats. That's part of what sold me on the off road and sport models. Can't speak on all jeeps especially the 2012 but every jeep I have ever ridden in was harsh! Then again jeeps have never fascinated me ever. GLWP!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #49
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'm 6'5" and fit in the jeep just fine, so not sure what that one guys deal was, maybe he didn't move the seat all the way back?
All the way back in a 2011 (actually 3 of them because it was ridiculous) and hit my head so My height is in my abs not my legs but idk
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #50
DumpTruckTacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DumpTruckTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Like a couple others, I own both a 2011 Tacoma, and a 2012 Wrangler. They are definitely two different animals, however there are several notable comparisons you can make.

First, interior comfort and quietness is better on the new Wranglers than on the Tacomas. TRD seats are stiff, where the Wrangler seats are more plush and forgiving. Road noise is about half with a hard top on in the Wrangler compared to the Tacoma.

Gas mileage is better on the Wrangler, though not by much. Granny footing the Tacoma with winter gas gets me about 17.4-17.6mpg. My wife manages 18.5+ in the Wrangler.

The ride has more bounce in the Wrangler (2 door, I've heard the 4 doors are more road friendly), but it has solid axles and springs. The Tacomas IFS setup with weak rear leafs is more forgiving.

Offroad, the Wrangler feels more stable, even with the shorter wheelbase. The composite bed doesnt help the Tacoma gain much purchase in the gravel roads without airing down. The Wrangler puts along at a happy pace with the new engine in both 4x2 and 4x4.

Speaking of the new engine, the gearing still feels a bit odd. The power is noticeable, however 1st gear is not peppy like the Tacoma. Though roll on power is much better than the Tacoma and doesnt generally need to downshift as much as the Tacoma does.

If you dont have kids or dogs, there is easily enough room to throw camping gear behind the front row seats. Having kids and dogs that enjoy camping though, I needed the truck first.

Last I paid 5k less for a loaded Sahara with heated seats/Nav than I did for the standard TRD Off Road.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #51
Blueridge is on a distinguished road

Blueridge's Tacoma Gallery
If I lived in the SW, I would buy a Wrangler. Would love to drive around the wilds with the top off. My neighbors have a 4 door late model, not a '12, and I will say it in an absolute dog, grossly underpowered.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
cozmo is on a distinguished road
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35man View Post
Your right driving a v6 Tacoma with sport seats is way different than a 4 banger Tacoma. I think they are very comfortable with the lumbar seats. That's part of what sold me on the off road and sport models. Can't speak on all jeeps especially the 2012 but every jeep I have ever ridden in was harsh! Then again jeeps have never fascinated me ever. GLWP!
i've got buckets in my tacoma
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #53
Banned
SLOJAM is on a distinguished road
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks! This is what I was looking for, feedback from someone that owned a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. How are you liking the 2012 reg cab 4x4 tacoma? Do you have manual? What MPG are you getting with the tacoma 4cyl 4x4?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #54
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpTruckTacoma View Post
Like a couple others, I own both a 2011 Tacoma, and a 2012 Wrangler. They are definitely two different animals, however there are several notable comparisons you can make.

First, interior comfort and quietness is better on the new Wranglers than on the Tacomas. TRD seats are stiff, where the Wrangler seats are more plush and forgiving. Road noise is about half with a hard top on in the Wrangler compared to the Tacoma.

Gas mileage is better on the Wrangler, though not by much. Granny footing the Tacoma with winter gas gets me about 17.4-17.6mpg. My wife manages 18.5+ in the Wrangler.

The ride has more bounce in the Wrangler (2 door, I've heard the 4 doors are more road friendly), but it has solid axles and springs. The Tacomas IFS setup with weak rear leafs is more forgiving.

Offroad, the Wrangler feels more stable, even with the shorter wheelbase. The composite bed doesnt help the Tacoma gain much purchase in the gravel roads without airing down. The Wrangler puts along at a happy pace with the new engine in both 4x2 and 4x4.

Speaking of the new engine, the gearing still feels a bit odd. The power is noticeable, however 1st gear is not peppy like the Tacoma. Though roll on power is much better than the Tacoma and doesnt generally need to downshift as much as the Tacoma does.

If you dont have kids or dogs, there is easily enough room to throw camping gear behind the front row seats. Having kids and dogs that enjoy camping though, I needed the truck first.

Last I paid 5k less for a loaded Sahara with heated seats/Nav than I did for the standard TRD Off Road.
Thanks for the great review of the 2012 Jeep Wrangler, this is what I was looking for. I know the older ones are not so good but I've been hearing great things about the 2012 Wrangler improvements.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
It would seem driving out in the open with the top and doors off would be fun as hell, although not very safe should you get t-boned with the doors off.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #56
DumpTruckTacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DumpTruckTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wear your seat belt, drive like youre on a motorcycle, and look ahead for idiots... Nothing really compares to the top down/doors off.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #57
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
my parents bought a '12 2 door hardtop 5 speed and the thing drives very nice. they are no longer underpowered and loud at driving speed (with the hardtop of course). I looked at jeeps when i bought my tacoma, but in the end i needed a truck.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #58
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
I like jeeps, But i hate the fact they have become such, Grocery getters. I mean the grand cherokees are nice, but seriously. WTF is a compass and a liberty... They both look like shit IMO Best jeeps out there are the Wrangler and ive come to really like the rubys, And older cherokees like 1990-1996 ones. But Tacomas are the 1# rated compact truck of the year so... Yodas take the cake.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #59
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
have not read all the posts, but here's my $.02

I have had 13 Jeeps, built, raced, offroaded, wheeled, broke, fixed, modded. I love Jeeps.
I have owned 8 Toyotas, never did much to them other than stereos and minor stuff.
I say you can't beat Toyota reliability if you want an everyday vehicle that you will wheel sometimes. If you are going to wheel it every weekend, get a Rubicon SWB and skip all the 4 door stuff.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #60
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

How much did you pay for your sport (s) ? I picked my RC 4x4 over the new jeep sport (s) . I'm happy with my taco but some days I still think about the jeep too . The bed did it for me .