Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #121
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeps are great off-road vehicles, but the soft-top in the desert is a killer. When temperatures reach the 100 degree mark, the air conditioning in the Taco sure is nice! It's also nice to be able to heat the thing in the winter. It does get cold, and when the temperature's down in the 20s and 30s, the Taco is much warmer.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #123
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
i was considering this for next year and took one for a long test drive. im 6'4 and fit well inside. it drove real nice and im happy with the way the 6 speed shifts (though im not a hater of the tacoma 6 speed). my problem was with how super cheap the interior was. everything felt like it was about to break when i touched it. i dunno, ill probably test drive a few more times before i make my decision.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #124
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
i was considering this for next year and took one for a long test drive. im 6'4 and fit well inside. it drove real nice and im happy with the way the 6 speed shifts (though im not a hater of the tacoma 6 speed). my problem was with how super cheap the interior was. everything felt like it was about to break when i touched it. i dunno, ill probably test drive a few more times before i make my decision.
This was my thing too when I was looking at Jeeps(2011) before I chose my Tacoma(I've always wanted a Jeep since I was a kid). I found that the inside felt cheap and everything was plastic. I didn't get that when I got into the Tacoma. I think that the Jeeps would be more of a contender if they happened to refine the interior and make it less plastic. I think both of the vehicles would do very well being compared(off road) to each other, even though one is a Jeep and the other is a truck. Another plus and one of the main reasons why I chose Toyota was the reliability. I don't know if I could get the same thing out of the new Jeeps. We will only know as time goes on.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #125
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Im kind of afraid of what the new motor is going to be. Iv heard the exhaust manifold is part of the block That and the sheet metal on those things is half as thick as a tacoma.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #126
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
For what its worth...

My 09 Taco is in the shop after a nice lady decided to do some body work on my passenger side with her Camry. My rental is 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport and I hate it!

I can see where this could be great as a toy for off road if you have that kind of money to blow. It would be fun taking the doors and top off. Not so much in the Maine winter though.

On the highway, it drives terrible. It is all over the place if there is a slight breeze and it sucks gas. The power is ok but it likes to downshift too easily/often and when it does, the RPM's get pretty high when you only want to speed up a little.

My favorite part is that the winshield cracked on me while it was parked in my driveway (which I am most likely going to be stuck paying for)

The interior quality has improved but still, I dont trust this jeep and I cant wait to get rid of it.

All things considered, it is a rental and I am sure it has been beat to $hit before I got it. I will never buy one. I cant wait to get my Taco back!

My two cents...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #127
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post
For what its worth...

My 09 Taco is in the shop after a nice lady decided to do some body work on my passenger side with her Camry. My rental is 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport and I hate it!

I can see where this could be great as a toy for off road if you have that kind of money to blow. It would be fun taking the doors and top off. Not so much in the Maine winter though.

On the highway, it drives terrible. It is all over the place if there is a slight breeze and it sucks gas. The power is ok but it likes to downshift too easily/often and when it does, the RPM's get pretty high when you only want to speed up a little.

My favorite part is that the winshield cracked on me while it was parked in my driveway (which I am most likely going to be stuck paying for)

The interior quality has improved but still, I dont trust this jeep and I cant wait to get rid of it.

All things considered, it is a rental and I am sure it has been beat to $hit before I got it. I will never buy one. I cant wait to get my Taco back!

My two cents...
Wished you got a 2012 with the new motor and tranny.

Totally different.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #128
cozmo is on a distinguished road
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post

how does a windshield crack just sitting in a driveway???
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #129
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember that if you get t-boned there is only about 4-6 inches of metal before the other car hits you. Jeeps are very capable off road no doubt but their safety rating is shit. Not trying to rain on your parade just something to think about.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #130
MaloneS is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
MaloneS's Tacoma Gallery
Much easier to modify a jeep than a tacoma; and probably will have lot o less problems, than I do with my tacoma mods (vibrations, blah blah). New jeeps are much better on the ride and handling than the previous (stock). Only thing I can say about our tacomas is; we'll last longer...hard choice.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #131
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloneS View Post
Much easier to modify a jeep than a tacoma; and probably will have lot o less problems, than I do with my tacoma mods (vibrations, blah blah). New jeeps are much better on the ride and handling than the previous (stock). Only thing I can say about our tacomas is; we'll last longer...hard choice.
Not trying to start anything here, but why do you think it is easier to mod a Jeep than a Tacoma? Both have pretty vast markets for parts.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #132
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Just remember that if you get t-boned there is only about 4-6 inches of metal before the other car hits you. Jeeps are very capable off road no doubt but their safety rating is shit. Not trying to rain on your parade just something to think about.
This was one of the things that turned me away from buying a Jeep. When you look the door and look, there isn't a lot of metal or even an air bag to help in a side crash.

Originally Posted by BRUIN8124

My favorite part is that the winshield cracked on me while it was parked in my driveway (which I am most likely going to be stuck paying for

This could be possible. Due to possible changes in tempature, from hot to cold, cold to hot. The window could have had the smallest crack in it and the OP didn't see it. These things do happen, I just don't think not too often. This happened to me back in 2009 when I had a small crack on the passenger side part of my window(right next to the paint). I was away for over a month and with the drastic changes in weather(+10 - -40C) it caused it to split further sideways on my window.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #133
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Owned both Jeeps (1979 CJ, and 2009 JK) and Tacomas (both gens), and I'd pick a 4.0 TJ as mentioned above as strictly an offroad vehicle (I haven't driven a 2012 Pentastar so I can't comment). But that's all it's really good for--off-roading.

As a daily driver and a multi-capability vehicle, to include excellent off-roading and proven long-term reliability, pick the Tacoma.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #134
2manyTOYotas is on a distinguished road
2manyTOYotas's Tacoma Gallery
How crazy is that? I just get back on this forum a couple years removed (sold my 09 Tacoma) to read up on the 2012 Tacoma and run into this thread that is about someone debating EXACTLY what I am.

Here's my take: I currently have an FJC. It rides good, even lifted and weighed down by bumpers a winch etc. I think its all in what you like or need?? These are apples and oranges......BUT Jeep makes a conversion kit to turn a 4 door into a pickup. This is where I start "MY" which way should I go??? I plan on either buying and building up another Tacoma OR buying and doing the conversion on the Jeep.

HARD CALL...?...?.... THEY ARE BOTH GOOD VEHICLES.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #135
stokes.greg is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
stokes.greg's Tacoma Gallery
I trade my jeep for my Tacoma.

I needed a truck and im not a fan of full size trucks but I loved my jeep.
And will have another but I will prolly get an older one so I can beat the crap out of it.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #136
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post

Well there ya go. That in itself is the answer. I keep thinking about the school bus accident and how the OP survived after that.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #137
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Well there ya go. That in itself is the answer. I keep thinking about the school bus accident and how the OP survived after that.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a new 4 door wrangler on 40's but I would never drive it on the road. Like I said, very capable off road but very sketchy on road as far as safety is concerned.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #138
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Safety is first in my book. Yes, it's fun going off road but rather do it in a vehicle that can also withstand the hazards of street crashes.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #139
mrdshrns is on a distinguished road
Name: Mario
mrdshrns's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a Rubicon Unlimited, will get it on Friday... I loved my 96 Tacoma then after serving me well for 13 years, I work as a forestry surveyor, I changed it for the 200& model and made all the modification listed... The fact is the new designed Tacoma is a hwy 4x4 not meant to go off road and plus the box design lets dust come in; impossible to keep a clean cargo when on dirt road ( can't believe no one has complained about this!). The new redesigned Jeep with the new motor is certainly the way to go if you are to do some offroad but still want a somewhat luxury suv... look at the available options on the jeep website... mine has them all, beside leather seat which I don't care for... Try both and decide but if you want to do offroad and have to sometime drive on gravel road... to there is only one logical choice....The 4 door Tacoma is way too long to get through water bars... offroad obstacle etc...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #140
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdshrns View Post
I just bought a Rubicon Unlimited, will get it on Friday... I loved my 96 Tacoma then after serving me well for 13 years, I work as a forestry surveyor, I changed it for the 200& model and made all the modification listed... The fact is the new designed Tacoma is a hwy 4x4 not meant to go off road and plus the box design lets dust come in; impossible to keep a clean cargo when on dirt road ( can't believe no one has complained about this!). The new redesigned Jeep with the new motor is certainly the way to go if you are to do some offroad but still want a somewhat luxury suv... look at the available options on the jeep website... mine has them all, beside leather seat which I don't care for... Try both and decide but if you want to do offroad and have to sometime drive on gravel road... to there is only one logical choice....The 4 door Tacoma is way too long to get through water bars... offroad obstacle etc...
How much did you pay ? Isn't the unlimited the long one ?