Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #141
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Kids.

I would put my kids in the back seat of the Tacoma. I won't let them go near a Jeep backseat. The safety ratings are way better on the Tacoma, best in class.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #142
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
how does a windshield crack just sitting in a driveway???
That is a great question! Bad luck? Poor quality? Abuse from previous renters? Meteor? Who knows? All I know is that I am out a few hundred $$$. The whole experience put a real bad taste in my mouth regarding Jeeps.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #143
StandupTaco is on a distinguished road
StandupTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
This was my thing too when I was looking at Jeeps(2011) before I chose my Tacoma(I've always wanted a Jeep since I was a kid). I found that the inside felt cheap and everything was plastic. I didn't get that when I got into the Tacoma. I think that the Jeeps would be more of a contender if they happened to refine the interior and make it less plastic. I think both of the vehicles would do very well being compared(off road) to each other, even though one is a Jeep and the other is a truck. Another plus and one of the main reasons why I chose Toyota was the reliability. I don't know if I could get the same thing out of the new Jeeps. We will only know as time goes on.
Last time I checked the interior of our Tacoma was plastic so not sure where you're coming from there. I like both and just gave my Tacoma 2010 TRD Sport to my wife and I just picked up a 2012 Jeep JKUR. It is very nice to drive, and isn't any harder on the bumps then my Tacoma was, Really! The dash looks waaay better in the Jeep then the Tacoma and dressed in Black leather is really sets the interior apart. I prefer to drive the Jeep, but seeing it's new, that's expected but the feel is better to me. I have 2200kms on it now and it rocks!
To each their own, but I wanted to keep the Tacoma in the family to at least have a truck to use for hauling stuff around.
To compare the Tacoma offroad to the Jeep isn't a fair comparison, different purposes and equipment and we all know the Jeep wins offroad.
The new engine in the Jeep is an absolute improvement and I find not gearing back to 5th on the hills if I want to maintain speed but If I want to accellerate and hard I need to gear back. It's comparable to what the Tacoma was/is getting for fuel mileage. Here in Canada I get 22-24 MPG in the Tacoma and 21-22 in the Jeep but it isn't broke in yet which I'm told will improve when it does. We'll see...
So, speaking from experience, both are beautiful rigs, get similar mileage but have different purposes/setup and drive nice so it all comes down to what you need to do with it, either should make you happy!

Here's ours!
2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler-006.jpg
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #144
Wvharleyman16 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Wvharleyman16's Tacoma Gallery
You need to take into consideration, what you are going to do with the vehicle.
I love my Taco, but I think a Wrangler would be a blast to cruise around in with the tip and doors off. But I need a truck to haul and work out of.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #145
socal147 is on a distinguished road
Name: patrick
socal147's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOJAM View Post
Did he say why? It's a new engine so it may have some kinks to be worked out.
It is a new engine that can not yet be programmed for different gearing or tire size. It has less displacement that the prior years. I just traded off my fully modded Ruby. Basically got sick of it. They are badazz offroad but lack in all other areas. JMO
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #146
I'D RATHER LIVE, THAN LIVE FOREVER
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 98 wrangler. 4 cyl Manual, 4x4, soft top, 4" Lift, etc. Was a fun little Jeep. It was my first car actually. Was in highschool so the soft top was definitely a plus. I drove it 60 miles round trip to work and back then. Was LOUD with the soft top. Stereo was almost useless. couldn't haul anything, the 4 cyl was horrible for mpg with 33" tires. Lol. It was solid off road. Even with 4 wheel drive and open diffs. I had It for a couple years before getting my 01 Tacoma.. never looked back. Now Im on Taco number 3.

The jeeos are fun, especially the soft tops. I always had mine down here In Az. But practical for my.needs? No. But, your situation may be different. If you don't need a bed, or don't mind the noise, get a jeep. They are great offroad, but to me.. they seem more bare minimum and less practical than our tacos. Atleast if you go with the 2 door soft top.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #147
MaloneS is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
MaloneS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Not trying to start anything here, but why do you think it is easier to mod a Jeep than a Tacoma? Both have pretty vast markets for parts.

Look at all the aftermarket for jeeps than toyota; blows us away. And just in comparison with his 06 Wrangler to my 08 Tacoma and what mods he has put on; they are much easier to work on as well as not having as much drivability issues. His was like plug and play and mine was like plug, what the hell is that noise, and that vibration...buy more mods take some off...better but still there...etc etc. I love my Tacoma, but hate this vib. issue. Lot more money and time has to be put in. Mind you that this is all my opinion and experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #148

MaloneS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post
That is a great question! Bad luck? Poor quality? Abuse from previous renters? Meteor? Who knows? All I know is that I am out a few hundred $$$. The whole experience put a real bad taste in my mouth regarding Jeeps.

I wrote service for Jeep for a little bit and did see a LOT of cracked windshields; dunno why though.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #149
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloneS View Post
Look at all the aftermarket for jeeps than toyota; blows us away. And just in comparison with his 06 Wrangler to my 08 Tacoma and what mods he has put on; they are much easier to work on as well as not having as much drivability issues. His was like plug and play and mine was like plug, what the hell is that noise, and that vibration...buy more mods take some off...better but still there...etc etc. I love my Tacoma, but hate this vib. issue. Lot more money and time has to be put in. Mind you that this is all my opinion and experience.
I've had a lot of vibes too. Still do, no longer a diff vibe but something else the dealer can't figure out. Their solution "Vibrations are normal for Tacoma's with leveling kits and 265/70R17's"... Had Jeep released the 2012 with the new engine prior to me buying my truck I'd probably be rolling a fully color matched 2012 Rubicon.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #150
lundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedlundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
lundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloneS View Post
I wrote service for Jeep for a little bit and did see a LOT of cracked windshields; dunno why though.
Probably the same reason as the FJ? The nearly straight up and down profile doesn't exactly deflect rocks and pebbles on the highway...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #151
1FSTLS1 is on a distinguished road

1FSTLS1's Tacoma Gallery
Have fun fixing you jeep while my truck is still not broke. I have both 2010 Tacoma and 2000 Jeep. I will sell you my jeep.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #152

MaloneS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
Have fun fixing you jeep while my truck is still not broke. I have both 2010 Tacoma and 2000 Jeep. I will sell you my jeep.
I will say that you are right on this. Still don't like the vibes
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #153
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
My tacoma has already cost me more in repair bills than my 99TJ. Only problem with my TJ is I couldn't haul stuff around like my Taco...
Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #154
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 04 Rubicon... It was an extremely capable off roader in all conditions and in stock form. Despite it being the better off road choice by far, my tacoma O/R beats it hands down in every other category. Plus, try writing a wrangler off as a business vehicle - (I do know a very talented CPA, however)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #155
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
I would have looked at a Jeep, except for one thing--towing. I've had people tell me they are now fine, but I'd be nervous zipping down the highway with my 3 000lb pop up behind me, especially if it was a little breezy.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #156
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Right before I bought my Tacoma, I ordered a Jeep Wrangler 4x4. At the time, the build kept getting delayed and I needed a 2nd vehicle. I remembered my old 97' Tacoma that I loved and got online and built a Tacoma to my specs after researching the new ones. That was on a Saturday night. The next day, I went to our local dealership. It was closed due to it being a Sunday but to my amazement, the exact truck that I had built online was on their lot. I went back on Monday to inquire about it. It had an M.S.R.P. of I think $28,600.00. It was more money than the Jeep I had ordered but they offered me a deal I could not refuse. It was the end of September and they had had the truck since February. They also said the truck had slight wind damage from getting sandblasted in a storm so Toyota was having them take off something like $1,800.00 for that. With that deduction, the dealership offered me the truck for $24,400.00 out the door on a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package with 6 speed manual with a handful of other options. Needless to say, I jumped at the deal. To this day I still can't find the wind damage from where the truck allegedly got sandblasted. It also still has a trade in value at 22k even though it has been almost 5 years since I purchased it. The Jeep on the other hand, had I bought it, would probably have a trade in value of maybe 10k if I had gone the route. While I love the Jeep Rubicon for Off Roading, that is the only thing I like about them better than the Tacoma. Yes, I wish my truck had some of those options but I am very happy with the choice I made.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #157
zonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zonataco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had Jeeps all of my adult life, I really enjoy them. I currently have an '06 Rubicon Unlimited I purchased new. It's damn near unstoppable off road, I rarely even need 4wd.
My wife bought herself a new DC OR 4wd Taco when she graduated in '06, great truck. I found myself wanting to drive it whenever we went out. The truck got totaled and was replaced with an '11 DC OR Prerunner. Whenever we got out, we take the Taco.
The Jeep is great off road. While it's not a horrible ride around town, it's nowhere near as nice as the Taco. The Jeep is also lacking storage room.
Jeeps have always been reliable for me, never understood all of the bashing about them being unreliable. It's a fun vehicle...doors off, top off, etc. Ever since we got the first Taco though, I've been tempted to sell the Rubi and get a Taco of my own. The Taco is much more refined, almost like driving a car but having the added benefits of a truck.
Haven't parted with the Jeep yet, but it's inevitable.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #158
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Wrangler compared to Tacoma is an apples and oranges comparo.
If you need a pickup bed to haul stuff (like Me) any pickup beats the Wrangler. If you want a trail vehicle the short wheelbase Wrangler has to beat a longer pickup. I chose Tacoma Access Cab 4x4.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #159
MrTacoma is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter
MrTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Lol why would you hate ask this on Tacoma forum ? Everyone is going to say get the Toyota ..I dOnt know much about the wrangler besides my friend has and his sits in the shop more then his driveway ...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #160
gwos25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwos25's Tacoma Gallery
I've never owned an older jeep, but did test drive an '12 JKUL, 6 speed, and was unimpressed with the engine performance. Guess I had higher hopes for 285hp and 260ft lbs. I also test drove (and later purchased) a 2012 Tacoma DCSB 6 speed. If you ask me, the Toyota's 4.0 was more fun to drive, as it has more low end torque, and you don't miss the extra hp on top. 0-60 are near identical for both, so I'm not sure what the Jeep does with it's extra 40ish hp? I didn't choose on engine performance alone, it's was a family vehicle, and 2 Lab's, a baby, and wife in the JKUL would have been tight!