Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #161
stocksport will become famous soon enoughstocksport will become famous soon enough

stocksport's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOJAM View Post
Has anyone ever considered a 2012 Jeep Wrangler over the 2012 Tacoma? The new 2012 Jeep Wrangler has a new more powerful v6 vvt engine and 5-speed auto or 6 speed transmission. You can pick up a base sport model 4x4 at $21 k, roughly about the same as a base tacoma 4x4 reg cab. The wrangler looks super fun with the drop top capability, removable doors, etc. Also, the stock wrangler blows away the stock tacoma in off-roading ability out the box. The MPG for the Wrangler is rated at roughly the same as the tacoma VS 4x4 auto at 17 city 21 hwy, BUT the Wrangler is rated at 285HP/260 torque! Much faster than the Tacoma's V6.

My mind has been set on a 2012 tacoma v6 4x4 access cab that costs much more but the wrangler looks enticing. I know you guys will bring up the american reliability crap which is one of the points that may keep me from getting the 2012 wrangler.

How is the reliability on the Jeeps Wranglers? You don't have to sell me on the Tacoma, you are talking to someone that has owned a Toyota for the last twelve years without incident. I'm just want to hear some feedback from you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qRpbqD2CQ
I love Jeeps. My older brother had a 99 until we t-boned a lifted F-250 doing about 45. Jeep was totaled, but we were both fine. The 250 actually rolled onto its side.(driver was fine too) He never had any problems with the Jeep over a 5 year span.

Before I got my truck I was between a gently used Tacoma or Jeep. For me it came down to what I would be doing with it. Daily driving mostly, but towing my boat was my next concern. 6,500 lbs. vs. 3,500 lbs. I also liked the idea of having a bed to throw God knows what in. I don't think there is a wrong choice. It's just what you will be doing with it. If all I did was go off roading I'd have a Jeep, but the Tacoma is more versatile for my everyday life. And it's not too shabby off road either.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #162
TevisAaron is on a distinguished road
Name: Tevis
TevisAaron's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 Tacoma DC AND a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I absolutely love them both. Jeep has come a long way with the Wranglers. I had an 08 Wrangler before and the 2012 is amazing. My 08 didn't have any power and I always hated the engine. My 2012 Wrangler, however, has an amazing engine. MUCH more power, smoother, and way quieter. My 2012 has all the options you can have (leather, navigation, heated seats, etc.) and I don't plan to MOD it. I love it the way it is.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #163
elfgixxer is on a distinguished road
elfgixxer's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both and love both. But, the two are completely different.

The Tacoma is a seriously reliable vehicle. And, it will take neglect really well. Off-road, it will run circles around a full size truck all day. It's also really comfortable on the road.

The jeep is allot more fun to drive in my opinion. The short wheel base makes it handle allot faster than the Tacoma. For a road trip it might be a little more squirly feeling than a tacoma.

I have a 2012 Jeep and it's way more snappy feeling than my 03 3.4L tacoma. But, the 3.6L Jeep engine doesn't have a torque'y truck feeling engine. It feels more "car". But, it's by far way better off road. The Jeep rubicon with the short wheel base is by far the best off-road vehicle I've ever seen.

It's not as practical as a Tacoma, but it's got allot of fun.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #164
electrcguy is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
electrcguy's Tacoma Gallery
welp if we are considering the 4 door version of the jeep, hasn't anyone noticed how they are horrible in side impact crashes?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #165
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
All one has to do is read the edmunds.com review of the 2012 Jeep Wrangler here

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler...suv#fullreview

Enough said...

Rick
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #166
Junya808 is on a distinguished road

Junya808's Tacoma Gallery
I work for a rent a car company and boy we had to replace a lot of cylinder heads on the newer jeeps and mini vans.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #167
elfgixxer is on a distinguished road
elfgixxer's Tacoma Gallery
What year were the Jeeps and Mini vans with the blown heads? Were the engines the 3.6L or something else?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #168
martyman5000 is on a distinguished road
martyman5000's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2003 Rubicon that I purchased new $38 000 for two tops, air condition (I've never used). I've read this thread twice because I'm considering buying the 2013 Regular cab (wish it was a regular cab with the 6 cylinder). I prefer a short wheel base vehicle for my work. My bro-in-law has his 2009 for sale right now because the 3.8 motor was just too much of a dog...slow and poor on fuel. If I was ever going to buy another jeep it would be an old 4 cylinder with a stick, put some lockers in it and just have fun, you don't need tons of power for wheeling.

Pro's of owning a Rubicon

Fun weekend vehicle, good for snow plowing, towing small trailer, fairly easy to work on.

Cons

Poor fuel economy
lots of u-joints
engine leaks (don't know what the Pentastar will be after 10 years)
not a comfortable ride
Will not take my family in it on the highway
Auto tranny is medium duty
Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #169
millward137 is on a distinguished road
millward137's Tacoma Gallery
Debating

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpTruckTacoma View Post
Like a couple others, I own both a 2011 Tacoma, and a 2012 Wrangler. They are definitely two different animals, however there are several notable comparisons you can make.

First, interior comfort and quietness is better on the new Wranglers than on the Tacomas. TRD seats are stiff, where the Wrangler seats are more plush and forgiving. Road noise is about half with a hard top on in the Wrangler compared to the Tacoma.

Gas mileage is better on the Wrangler, though not by much. Granny footing the Tacoma with winter gas gets me about 17.4-17.6mpg. My wife manages 18.5+ in the Wrangler.

The ride has more bounce in the Wrangler (2 door, I've heard the 4 doors are more road friendly), but it has solid axles and springs. The Tacomas IFS setup with weak rear leafs is more forgiving.

Offroad, the Wrangler feels more stable, even with the shorter wheelbase. The composite bed doesnt help the Tacoma gain much purchase in the gravel roads without airing down. The Wrangler puts along at a happy pace with the new engine in both 4x2 and 4x4.

Speaking of the new engine, the gearing still feels a bit odd. The power is noticeable, however 1st gear is not peppy like the Tacoma. Though roll on power is much better than the Tacoma and doesnt generally need to downshift as much as the Tacoma does.

If you dont have kids or dogs, there is easily enough room to throw camping gear behind the front row seats. Having kids and dogs that enjoy camping though, I needed the truck first.

Last I paid 5k less for a loaded Sahara with heated seats/Nav than I did for the standard TRD Off Road.

Can you let me know if you're having any issues with the wrangler. I'm looking to get the new 2013 sahara, but am also considering the 2013 TRD OR. I don't have a commute, about 3 miles to work, we do the occasional camping/off-roading, live next to some canyons and enjoy driving around there. I hate mechanical issues though and am a little weary on buying the jeep because of the bad rap.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #170
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Sold my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon this past weekend (along with my 2005 Tacoma 4x4 DC TRD), and purchased a 2013 MGM AC TRD Off Road Tacoma today...after driving the Tacoma, I would never consider a Jeep Wrangler over it again. I thought I might, but there is no way a Jeep Wrangler, Rubicon or otherwise, would ever tempt me again...

I had a 2007 Wrangler Rubicon bought new back in 2006; there is no comparison to the Tacoma I just picked up.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #171
56cbr600rr will become famous soon enough

Name: Bobby
56cbr600rr's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a 2010 4 dr tacoma trd and a 2010 2 dr wrangler. With a light foot mpg is almost equal between the 2. Ride with bilsteins is not much smoother; I'd say better on the tacoma due to wheelbase. With newer stronger more efficient jeep motor I'd guess wrangler might might have .5-1mpg advantage. I don't have either any longer. However with newer interior, newer motor, and quieter engine and quieter premium soft top I, shopping for the 2013 wrangler unlimited.

Also, I know experienced vary. But I never had problems with my jeep but had several,with my taco.

Do yourselves a favor and drive both. I believe wrangler is more reliable than the rest of the crap Chrysler lineup...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #172
ORTaco09 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ORTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a 89 Toyo Pickup, then a 2000 Wrangler Sahara, and now a 09 Taco.

Off-road, the Wrangler wins hands down when both are stock. With a shorter wheelbase, it's much more nimble down trails.

On road, the Taco is much more comfortable with moderate off-road capability.

The upside to a Taco, is that it's a truck and you can haul "stuff" in the bed, which is why I sold my Wrangler. I like to hunt, and putting a deer in a Wrangler in tubs on the back seat was not much fun.

Below are two vids of both wheeling in the same area climbing the same mounds for comparison.

I admit, I miss my Wrangler.....a lot. It was just a "fun" vehicle. But practically speaking, a truck made more sense to me. Plus a Wrangler on snowy roads is heart rate raising circumstance. She will try to pull a 180 on you on a regular basis without studded tires, due to the short wheel base.

Recommend you go to http://www.wranglerforum.com/ to see what issues come up with a 2012.

Wrangler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cipuITsa1TA

Taco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DQnrat3nA

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #173
ANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
ANT2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
Have had 7 jeeps, currently rebuilding a CJ5. We recently traded a 2012 Sahara unltd for my wife's mustang GT/CS if the Jeep would safely tow more than 3500 lbs then I would have kept it, plain and simple. My OR Tacoma will do the job that the Wrangler should be able to do, if only the powers to be at Chrysler would design the wranglers with a higher towing capacity.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #174
TOMRR is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1966 to 1972 Sgt. 2ND. Battalion 26 Marines
Name: Tom
TOMRR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
If you plan on offroading a lot, get an old wrangler with the 4.0L.

If you want a nice vehicle that is fairly capable offroad, get the new tacoma.
That's the way I went got a 2006 TJ Wrangler