Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Banned
SLOJAM is on a distinguished road
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma vs 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Has anyone ever considered a 2012 Jeep Wrangler over the 2012 Tacoma? The new 2012 Jeep Wrangler has a new more powerful v6 vvt engine and 5-speed auto or 6 speed transmission. You can pick up a base sport model 4x4 at $21 k, roughly about the same as a base tacoma 4x4 reg cab. The wrangler looks super fun with the drop top capability, removable doors, etc. Also, the stock wrangler blows away the stock tacoma in off-roading ability out the box. The MPG for the Wrangler is rated at roughly the same as the tacoma VS 4x4 auto at 17 city 21 hwy, BUT the Wrangler is rated at 285HP/260 torque! Much faster than the Tacoma's V6.

My mind has been set on a 2012 tacoma v6 4x4 access cab that costs much more but the wrangler looks enticing. I know you guys will bring up the american reliability crap which is one of the points that may keep me from getting the 2012 wrangler.

How is the reliability on the Jeeps Wranglers? You don't have to sell me on the Tacoma, you are talking to someone that has owned a Toyota for the last twelve years without incident. I'm just want to hear some feedback from you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qRpbqD2CQ
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
i met a guy a few weeks ago telling me he wanted to trade in his 2012 wrangler for a 2012 tacoma...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I say go for the Wrangler. I think the American reliability is the schnizz. GO USA!!

Fremont, CA. Last of the last. Booyah.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
i met a guy a few weeks ago telling me he wanted to trade in his 2012 wrangler for a 2012 tacoma...
Did he say why? It's a new engine so it may have some kinks to be worked out.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A Wranger makes an awesome offroad machine but usually they are horrible on the street. There is no real comparison here since the Jeep is a SUV with straight axles while a Taco is an IFS truck without the option of a front locker or electronic disconnecting sway bar.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Be back Summer of 2014
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-n...04871#46404871

Watch /\/\/\

nuff said.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Cool vid! But I still think the orange Wrangler is cute.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
I thought that as well but MAAAAAN does the Jeep Wrangler look so much more fun to drive than a tacoma. Take the doors and top off and let the good times roll. Too bad toyota doesn't build something similar to the Jeep Wrangler. The FJ Cruiser is awesome but a different animal and more expensive. Too bad American vehicles suck arse, you'd think they would be just as good as toyota now. Everybody raves about the Ford F-150 but it looks like Ford took a step back into time with that boxy front styling, looks like poo poo to me.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOJAM View Post
Did he say why? It's a new engine so it may have some kinks to be worked out.
he said he made the mistake of test driving the 12 tacoma after he had already purchased the wrangler....he said the tacoma was an overall "better" vehicle to him. lol sucks to be him i guess!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
A Wranger makes an awesome offroad machine but usually they are horrible on the street. There is no real comparison here since the Jeep is a SUV with straight axles while a Taco is an IFS truck without the option of a front locker or electronic disconnecting sway bar.
Yeah but the new engine is said to make daily driving much better than the previous model years.....
Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
he said he made the mistake of test driving the 12 tacoma after he had already purchased the wrangler....he said the tacoma was an overall "better" vehicle to him. lol sucks to be him i guess!!!
Oh well, it sure does look cool from the outside looking in.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Yeah but the new engine is said to make daily driving much better than the previous model years.....
An engine doesn't make the vehicle. I hear they ride like crap on the street, they can't tow and MPGs aren't that great. Most important is build quality. Jeeps lacks it.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on offroading a lot, get an old wrangler with the 4.0L.

If you want a nice vehicle that is fairly capable offroad, get the new tacoma.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh well, it sure does look cool from the outside looking in.

i actually like driving the wrangler...i think its fun and they can ramble super hard!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
If you plan on offroading a lot, get an old wrangler with the 4.0L.

If you want a nice vehicle that is fairly capable offroad, get the new tacoma.
Makes sense. I wouldn't want to beat on a brand new Jeep Wrangler anyways. How does the FJ Cruiser ride? That was another yota that I was considering. I like the tacoma b/c of the utility of it. Much more bang for the buck.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Makes sense. I wouldn't want to beat on a brand new Jeep Wrangler anyways. How does the FJ Cruiser ride? That was another yota that I was considering. I like the tacoma b/c of the utility of it. Much more bang for the buck.
fj's are sweet, and more capable than the tacoma in stock form offroad. Very nice interiors and a manual transfer case.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I have 97 wrangler. Its a pos, besides the fact it was rolled. It is slower then shit, gets horrible gas milage, dana 35 in the rear, and it rides like shit! The only part I like about it is that its a manual (pretty crappy one at that). I do get a lot of looks cause it has no window, doors, or top lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Banned
SLOJAM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
An engine doesn't make the vehicle. I hear they ride like crap on the street, they can't tow and MPGs aren't that great. Most important is build quality. Jeeps lacks it.
Supposedly the MPG is better with the 2012, rated at 17 city / 21 hwy. It has a new VVT Pentistar V6 engine w/ 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual tranny.