1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LR UCA alignment

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MxRacer190, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    they guy wouldn't even touch my ball joint. He's never seen an adjustable UCA. Even after showing him the PDF from SPC's site. . . I'm gone now. Truck is in alignment specs, but ofc, as expected, it rubs behind the tire. I guess I'm just shit out of luck because nobody around me knows wtf a Light Racing Adjustable UCA is or how to work with them. Or, I'm completely lost on everything I've read.

2. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah I don't think you'll find anyone who will want to pull the ball joint.

I do think however if you go in there and explain you want to max caster at the LCA cams and to disregard camber they can do that. Then explain you just need them to adjust the camber at the upper control arm by breaking loose the jam nut and sliding the cam until you're camber is correct. If you show them, they'll probably be able to do it. You might have to take it to a specialty shop as well.

3. Apr 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    MxRacer190

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    I explained exactly that to him. He said " I've been doing this 20 years, im going to do it the way I know how lalalalala" wouldn't even try. I called a local specialty shop and he told me his alignment guy "wouldn't touch it" because I installed the lift myself... wtf? Idk. I'm done with it. I'm probably just going to cut out my fender some more. It's down to the metal now.

4. Apr 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Do you have the skills / tools to advance the BJ yourself and take it back in ?

5. Apr 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    MxRacer190

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Yes. But I'm not gonna take it back to the same guy. He'd probably quit if he saw me roll in again. Lol. It's all good. I'm not going to worry about it. That's what I was asking in the other thread. I didn't know I needed to set the UCA BEFORE I took it in for alignment.

Just a warning to others, before you buy LR UCA's make sure your local shops know what they are.

6. Apr 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    07TaCo07

07TaCo07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab 6" lift
    6" fab tech lift, 35" toyo m/t, 17" teflon wheels
    Les Schwabs did my alignment. Took 8 hours over 2 days to get it right.

7. Apr 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Super Black Taco

Super Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grayson
    Redwood valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT 4x4
    OME 885 1/4 spacers,Dakars, 3* shims,Light Racing UCA BHLM,Wicked Flow Muffler, JL sub, Alpine amp, URD Short Throw Kit, U-Bolt Flip kit, 285/70/17 hankook mt
    Do people have problems with the alignment and tires rubbing the cab mounts with the uni ball UCA's?

8. Apr 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    It depends...

With LR UCAs you can increase or decrease caster as you see fit. Most add 2* over stock. You can also adjust camber.

What I'm saying is that you need to max caster at the cams and then push or pull the whole ball joint within the slot until you get your camber real close, then they can do a final adjust from the lower cams.

9. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    Ok I installed my LR UCA about a week ago and set the caster to the +1 position on both. I went and got an alignment at a local shop that had done them before and I gave him the instructions as well, I realized after looking at them a few days later that my passanger side is still at +1 but my driver side is actually set at 0. Has anyone else had this or had experience with this? Im wondering if there was a mistake or if thats what was needed to get the correct alignment. Also does anyone know if this is bad or will affect anyhing? Please let me know because it has been bothering my lately. Thanks

10. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What are your alignment #'s ?

11. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    Sadly IDK because they didnt print any out and or put it in my truck. And i dont think I can go back after the fact to get it.

12. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Sounds fishy

How does it drive ? Having the LR UCA balljoints at 2 different settings will not harm anything .

13. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    If it doesn't pull, and it drives well, don't worry about it. Caster is not a tire wearing angle. Camber is if its bad enough, and toe is the major angle to worry about.

Just because your UCA says your caster is at "+1" doesn't mean anything. They are trying to make the vehicle drive straight down the road. This doesn't always mean having the same settings on both sides.

I do alignments every day. I dot give people the print out unless they ask for it. I always make a print for that reason. I dot give them te print because people don't know why they're looking at. They see a number that's not perfect, and they think its bad. That's not necessarily the case. If they think it's wrong, thy will start to believe the vehicle doesn't drive well, even if it drives perfectly.

14. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Huh

any alignment place I've gone to gives you the alignment printout as standard practice

15. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    it drives straight and handles very well. I dont notice any difference at all, I was just worried about wear on tires and or anything else I wasnt aware of. And this is the second place that I have gotten an allignment that hasnt given me a printout. which isnt a huge deal to me I do know a little when I look at it. But if you dont think its anything to worry about and there wont be any effects I wont bother with it. I would hate to have to pay for another alignment if I move it again lol. Thank you for the information I appreciate it

16. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta

Good for them. 98% of people had no idea what they're looking at, and they don't even really care.

17. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
  18. Oct 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
  19. Oct 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    U mad for some reason ?

20. Oct 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top