Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

installed Volant Intake with Ram Air

Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
installed Volant Intake with Ram Air

I got the Volant intake installed the other night, that I bought from Joe B.

it is pretty sweet

love the sound it adds and the "seat of the pants" dyno is pleasantly surprized

Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up

Looks good...

Got to say, that set up is probably the closest thing to a TCAI, for those that cant afford having there filter out in front of the grill like URD's.

Nice work.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
So that thing grabs air from the front of the truck?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the Volant set up a lot.Nice quality unit.
Sold it because I'm having a SC installed on the 23rd.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
how did it make ur truck run? i heard they run really rich, but once tuned the gains are alot more compared to the other CAI cuz the the volant is so rich
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
how did it make ur truck run? i heard they run really rich, but once tuned the gains are alot more compared to the other CAI cuz the the volant is so rich
I installed the Volant set a few hundred miles after I bought my truck.At that time I couldn't feel any difference but now that the Volant off,the truck isn't as responsive.Can't tell if it's quieter because all I hear now with or without the Volant is the TRD exhaust.
I thought about the running rich issue that people talk about but my exhaust wasn't black and the truck ran fine even at WOT.
I was told by some here,members on another Tacoma forum and by Volant,I'm fine.

Enjoy,Sock.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the throttle response is soooo much better.

as in first post, the "seat of the pants" dyno thinks there is more there.

on my scan gauge, it went from reading an intake air temp of 15 to 20 deg above actual outside temp, to 0 to 5 deg above actual outside temp.

the night i installed it, i got an air temp of 33deg (it was 33 deg outside).

because i can't keep my foot out of it, my mileage has dropped.

it should, by definition, be running richer now. lower intake temp means denser air, thus more fuel pumped in by computer.
i understand the running rich thing, but i have yet to see any hesitation problems or WOT issues. (just performs and sounds bad ass!).
I also expect some sort of loss of MPG because of it running more rich

I guess it would take another add-on, of sorts, to tune it??
Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good Sock!

PS. I need a couple of your Big Lebowski stickers! Anyway I can get them before Christmas??
Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Metallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to behold
Metallikatz3's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man.. i wanted to buy that haha :-(
Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
So that thing grabs air from the front of the truck?
yes, right above radiator and a/c coil
Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of filter do these come with? paper, gauze, foam? thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Cool intake! Is anyone else running this setup? Wish they make on with the AFE pro dry filter.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Awsome, very nice!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #17
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew793 View Post
Cool intake! Is anyone else running this setup? Wish they make on with the AFE pro dry filter.
you can put just about any filter you want with a 3" flange and that will fit in box
Old 12-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
^^ I was wondering about that. Thanks sockmonkey! One could probably get a foam XDI filter in there.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #20
Tacodaddy14 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Matt
Tacodaddy14's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought this setup...can't wait to get it installed