SOMDTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
SOMDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Also this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...aft-150-a.html
Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #42
jsilver is on a distinguished road

jsilver's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know the diameter of the 4runner shaft?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
very interesting! Op have you got it up to high speeds? I would just like to know it can handle 90+ mph in a passing situation. Great work but this still kills me that you have to get an old DS and modify it for a new truck!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #44
kane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shedkane is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kane's Tacoma Gallery
Well after several days and fabbing up several sets of spacers of my own ranging from half to two and a half inches in quarter inch increases I finally got rid of the vibes ...... back to the original one inch that came with kit and flipped cb over and no more vibes
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #45
lonecountryboy is on a distinguished road
lonecountryboy's Tacoma Gallery
Jsilver sorry my angle finder broke so I don't have anything to measure with but 5* sounds about right and if you use a CV style joint that angle doesn't matter as much which I see Max explained really well.
greenrustic I was hearing it as well as feeling it the sweet spot was right at 20 and after I lifted it wow you really felt it and heard it if I had to take a guess I would probably say it is the driveline like mine.
drsus I agree and expected more for my 30+K but toyota won't even acknowledge a problem for a period of time it could take years to come up with a fix hell this has been an ongoing problem it looks like to me since 05 so I said WTH I will figure it out on my own.
HBTaco I do alot of freeway and I have no problems at the 75+ range and yea little disappointing.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #46
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Well after several days and fabbing up several sets of spacers of my own ranging from half to two and a half inches in quarter inch increases I finally got rid of the vibes ...... back to the original one inch that came with kit and flipped cb over and no more vibes

so that's got to be close to the factory "height" with the spacer ?

maybe i need to do this one day.. i really want to do the 1 piece drive-shaft though..
Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #47
SeniorSpan will become famous soon enoughSeniorSpan will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 30 Yrs Logistics and Intel
Name: Bob
SeniorSpan's Tacoma Gallery
Guys,

I'm no way a "drive line guy" but I do understand the majority of this thread and applaud justinhw for the creativity and initiative.

However, reading this thread several times conjures several questions; one beingthis; a one piece drive shaft = less production parts which should = less cost overall. Why would Toyota elect to go with a two pieces with more parts and likely costing more?

Cheers
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #48
Don't know but I am researching another fix and hopefully will have something in a couple of weeks, I just know that the first gen tacoma and the first gen tundra both had a two piece driveline with the CV joint after the carrier bearing so why did they change? Don't know but I think it was a mistake since it looks like the problem effects the 05 and up tacoma in particular the DC for some reason.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecountryboy View Post
Don't know but I am researching another fix and hopefully will have something in a couple of weeks, I just know that the first gen tacoma and the first gen tundra both had a two piece driveline with the CV joint after the carrier bearing so why did they change? Don't know but I think it was a mistake since it looks like the problem effects the 05 and up tacoma in particular the DC for some reason.

personally, i think the carrier bearing is just 1 more useless part to wear out. there was probably a "ground clearance" issue with the couple inches you lose with a longer solid 1 peice, why they did away with the CV on the front of the 2nd axle is beyond me. $$$$$$$ i'd bet.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #50
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
justinhw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan View Post
Guys,

I'm no way a "drive line guy" but I do understand the majority of this thread and applaud justinhw for the creativity and initiative.

Forward that applause to lonecountryboy, it wasn't me who came up with it!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #51
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any luck on "another fix"?

My vibs are way crazy now with the 6in lift, ordered the cb drop from beefedtaco, hopefully it fixes it, but i think 1 pc ds would be better
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #52
EatAbullet sometimes the CB drop fixes the vibes sometimes not if I was you I would get some 3/8 washers and start experimenting with dropping it down the DS should be perfectly perpendicular I also found the angle at the transfer case being off was causing my takeoff vibe and the Ujoint after the CB was causing my 20mph vibe so for me there was two different angles causing different vibes I also lowered the tranny mount by elongating the holes and opening the cradle so it lowered it by 3/8 to 1/2" I will try to dig up the thread for you.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #53
Here is my other thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sions-etc.html
Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #55
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any issues with my rig
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #56
colby3 is on a distinguished road
colby3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So a little background bought a 2012 DCSB right off the lot I had the 20mph vibe drove it a couple hundred miles to see if it got worse or better no change after 500 miles so I took it in to have them look at it. Wouldn't you know it they said it was normal, whatever, I figured it would probably get worse once I put the lift on which it did.(2.5" in the front with an aal in the rear) not only was it worse it now had the damn take off vibe. So jump on TW and start doing research find out Tom Woods makes a one piece that seems to work well so before I sink $500 into a new driveline I wanted to make sure it was the rear driveline. Oh I took a weekend and screwed around with shimming the axle and the CB which helped but did not eliminate the vibes. So back to my story, I took out the rear driveline put it in 4HI and took it for a drive well well no vibes so I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new Tom Woods driveline when I notice the spare drivline I have for my 99 4Runner, it has the CV style u-joint at the transfer case side and the slip joint on the rear diff side so I take it and hold it up to the transfer case and lo and behold it fits on perfect take it back to the rear and the bolt pattern is smaller but with the flange the way it is I figure it wouldn't take nothing at all to drill it to fit it just needs to be lengthed. So I call the local driveline shop and they quote me $160 to lengthen the driveline sounds reasonable so I take it down and a few days later they call me and say its ready. Sweet so I motor on down and pick it up take the old one out and bolt on the transfer case side and hold it up to the rear diff and mark the holes, takes about 20 min to drill new ones and then bolt the rear on with some new fine thread grade 8 bolts and take it for a test drive. Guess what NO MORE DAMN VIBES!!!!!!!!! I am freakin ecstatic this was my only bitch on the whole truck besides that it has been great. I have had it in for about 2wks and it is still vibe free.
So anybody who wants to do it the cheaper way this is what you need. The rear driveline is out of a 99 4Runner but I think that gen is from 1997-2002 don't quote me on that though, I did a little research and found the drivelines at some junkyards from $40-150 I remember paying $40 for this one from a pick-a-part so basically for $200 I fixed my vibes. Don't know if it will work for everybody but it worked for me I had that same driveline shop quote me a new one custom built and it was about $550 so this way you already have the CV u-joint and the slip joint they just have to lengthen it. If anybody else does this let us know how it turns out. Oh and for those who think I didn't try hard enough with the shims and CB maybe I didn't but I thought it was a pretty weak design from toyota to begin with but to each his own I guess.
hey so i have the exact same situation going on with my 07 and it has same lift and every thing so maybe this is stupid but i am trying to take my drive shaft off and it is a real bitch i can not get the t-case bolts or the diff bolts even to turn at all so maybe some tips if you have any thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #57
If you have air you can use a 3/8 gun and if you need to use a breaker bar, sometimes those are a bitch because they use locktight from the factory.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #58
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone else done the 1 piece driveshaft fix yet? i have the 'normal' vibrations in my 2012 that are starting to drive me nuts.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #59
Kingdesgn is on a distinguished road
Kingdesgn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 stocker 4 door short bed doing the exact same thing. When I test drove it, it didn't vibrate at all. For the first week it didnt. But after 500 miles, I've noticed it vibrating sometimes 60 and 70mph. I had a 2006 that did the same thing. I thought that freakin TOYOTA would have the issue resolved by now!!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #60
Fedz is on a distinguished road
Name: Fady
Fedz's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 Tacoma DCSB and it is also vibration between 15-25mph, i also have a 2012 4runner , after many attempts to fix the vibration, i thought to look under the 4runner, the T case looks identical to the one in the Tacoma but it has a one piece drive shaft with no cv, also both ends of the 4runner drive shaft (flange)looks identical to the tacoma, i might look for a used late model 4runner driveshaft and see if i can just lengthen it to fit my tacoma.