LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles

Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #361
BCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
BCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So my airbag light just turned on, im thinking clock spring is the issue. I check my VIN and it IS included in the recall. But I imported my truck from the US into Canada a few years ago. So Im pretty sure i wont be getting anything in the mail.

The question is will the Canadian Toyota dealership still take care of the recall ? even though the truck was first sold in the US and I brought it into Canada ?

Thanks
RC
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #362
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
great I have an 2009 Tacoma and 2010 Camry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #363
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
[Abridged :]
These ponzi mother#$%^&*s made me wait 1 week and 2 hours just to "look at my VIN" so they could lie to my face instead of taking my VIN number on day 1 and ordering the part then.
Secondly they are so underhanded that they wanted to use someone elses parts on my truck and possibly set them in the same situation that I am in.

Toyota-Scion of Sanford, NC I will be calling your Corporate office and tell them how poorly I was treated by Chad and Steven.
[/abridged ]

Last Saturday I go into a local Dealership to Schedule an appointment. The Guy1 takes my info 4 or 5 times because the computer is not letting him do something correctly. After he has my Name, Address and Phone Number written down to add later he says we will see you next week. Not once does he ask for my VIN number or to go look at my truck.
I point out that he might want the VIN number and we go out to the truck. He snaps a picture of it on his phone because he is too lazy to write it down. Thursday rolls around and I make a call to the dealership to see if they actually got my phone information in the computer and the parts ordered. To the lady on the phones surprise they had not. She called someone and asked them what was going on and then got back to me and said we were all set and Ready to go for Saturday.
I roll in Bright and shiny Saturday [Today] morning (I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON). I get all the pleasantries and hand over my keys and tell them I will be over at Walmart and the shopping center, they say it will be about 2 hours and will call me.
Two hours later they call me and say that they can't replace it right now because they found out that they don't have the right part. I go to pick it up and Guy2 says that there are 3 different part numbers for the different, Cab Sizes, and they don't have the right one for mine but they have ordered it.
I asked him to get me the 3 part numbers and he heads off to the back to get them. About 15 mins later he comes back out telling me that it wasn't 3 different part numbers that it was actually 3 different codes, B1801 was the correct code for my truck, says that it's based off of VIN number. He was also holding a part, he said that it was another customers part that they hadn't picked up yet and said we could use it on my truck and pointed out the B1801 hand written on the invoice. They have ordered the part and will call me Tuesday when it comes in. Whence I will promptly tell them where they can forcefully insert their part while I take my business elsewhere. Hell I don't want the clowns in the shop touching my truck if this is how retarded the people up front are.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #364
Joe in PA is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Joe in PA's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Just bought an '09 and see from the service records that the pedal modification recall-thingy has been done. Just out of curiosity, what did they actually do to the pedal, or whatever they changed? Just wondering... and/or wandering....
Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #365
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
They shave/trim the gas pedal (I think they shape its lower edges into a V, if I remember correctly) and they re-program the ECU so that the vehicle cannot accelarate while the brake is applied. With the re-program the brake now overrides any accelerator inputs, and I think the computer cuts the ignition and/or fuel injection when both brake and gas pedals are applied.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #366
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
They shave/trim the gas pedal (I think they shape its lower edges into a V, if I remember correctly) and they re-program the ECU so that the vehicle cannot accelarate while the brake is applied. With the re-program the brake now overrides any accelerator inputs, and I think the computer cuts the ignition and/or fuel injection when both brake and gas pedals are applied.
I'm not so sure on the ECU flash. I had the Safety Recall done on my '06. I still can hold my brake and accelerate (Jumping off the line and one tire fire)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #367
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
It just cuts throttle.

The throttle has to be applied first then the brake. Also both inputs have to stay steady for X amount of seconds before the override kicks in. Lastly you have be going over a certain speed.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #368
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I'm not so sure on the ECU flash. I had the Safety Recall done on my '06. I still can hold my brake and accelerate (Jumping off the line and one tire fire)
You have to be traveling at a minimum speed in order for the re-flash to apply (it's a slow speed - like 15mph or something, but I don't know the exact speed off of the top of my head).
Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #369
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Anyone taken a "heavily modified" truck in yet for this? I know...magnussen-moss...blah blah blah...but I still think they are gonna hassle me a bit:

Not sure you'd consider mine heavily modified but they didn't bug me about anything.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #370
LRGRNR

Angry Dealership Shuffle - Next Please!

Can someone recommend a Toyota dealership that's not full of shit, near Sanford/Durham, NC? I would like to drive my truck around and be safe.

Toyota of Apex said that the airbag recall was just an announcement. They gave little concern to the fact that my airbag light has been on for 60,000 miles. They said that the airbag light being on wasn't related to the (AIRBAG RECALL)
B1801/51 - short in driver side squib circuit. Told me to come in and they could check and see why that was on..

Safety Recall C0B (C1B) Interim Notice - Certain 2005 to 2009 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles - Spiral Cable Assembly Replacement states:
- In the meantime, if you experience an illuminated Airbag Warning Lamp please visit your authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reposting in case anyone needs a refresher:
Quote:
Safety Recall C0B (C1B) Interim Notice - Certain 2005 to 2009 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles - Spiral Cable Assembly Replacement
At the present time, Toyota is developing a remedy for this safety recall.

What is the Condition? Due to combination of factors, a part in the steering wheel assembly in your vehicle called the spiral cable may become damaged. If damage occurs, this can affect the electrical connection to several systems, including the driver’s air bag. Such damage would cause the air bag warning light to stay ON after starting the engine, and the air bag may not work. This could increase the risk of injury to the driver in a crash in which the air bag is designed to inflate.

When will the Remedy be Available: Toyota anticipates that it will take several months to prepare the remedy parts. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available. In the meantime, if you experience an illuminated Airbag Warning Lamp please visit your authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #371
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can someone recommend a Toyota dealership that's not full of shit, near Sanford/Durham, NC? I would like to drive my truck around and be safe.

Toyota of Apex said that the airbag recall was just an announcement. They gave little concern to the fact that my airbag light has been on for 60,000 miles. They said that the airbag light being on wasn't related to the (AIRBAG RECALL)
B1801/51 - short in driver side squib circuit. Told me to come in and they could check and see why that was on..

Safety Recall C0B (C1B) Interim Notice - Certain 2005 to 2009 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles - Spiral Cable Assembly Replacement states:
- In the meantime, if you experience an illuminated Airbag Warning Lamp please visit your authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reposting in case anyone needs a refresher:
call toyota HQ, have them verify that your truck is part of the recall, then make them hold the local dealer to the fix.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #372
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacologist View Post
I fear that taking the truck in for this recall will have them cut my gas peddle for the phony recall on the mat issue.

I will take it in if recalled but beg to leave the peddle alone.
Trimming the gas pedal is no big deal , they only take 3/8" off. But along with that trimming , they reprogram the ECU so that if the throttle is more than 1/3 down and the brake pedal is touched, the engine will shut down to idle.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #373
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiiver View Post
Trimming the gas pedal is no big deal , they only take 3/8" off. But along with that trimming , they reprogram the ECU so that if the throttle is more than 1/3 down and the brake pedal is touched, the engine will shut down to idle.
I'm pretty sure you can sign a waiver and they won't do any of that.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #374
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can sign a waiver and they won't do any of that.
Mine was done by the previous owner.
I wonder if I can sign a waiver and have them reflash it with the original programming?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #376
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Anyone know why certain vin numbers in the 2005-2009 years are getting the notices and some are not? Does this recall only relate to trucks built at a particular plant?
Do you know people with an '05-09 who have not received a notice who bought their truck from a major dealership?

I wouldn't expect "Joe's used cars" to forward buyer information to Toyota.
Frankly, I was surprised that MK Smith Chevrolet did... but I got a notice on my '08.. bought it in December.

The recall saying "certain vin numbers" is simple legalese CYA language.
It accounts for vehicles sold in countries where the recall is not applicable.
Yes, the trucks still have the problem, but recalls are not global in nature.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #377
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Do you know people with an '05-09 who have not received a notice who bought their truck from a major dealership?

I wouldn't expect "Joe's used cars" to forward buyer information to Toyota.
Frankly, I was surprised that MK Smith Chevrolet did... but I got a notice on my '08.. bought it in December.

The recall saying "certain vin numbers" is simple legalese CYA language.
It accounts for vehicles sold in countries where the recall is not applicable.
Yes, the trucks still have the problem, but recalls are not global in nature.
I bought my truck new at a Toyota dealer and haven't received a notice
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I bought my truck new at a Toyota dealer and haven't received a notice
Has anyone in Canada received a notice?

Recalls are directed by the government. Canadian DOT generally holds close to US standards, but I don't know how recalls are handled.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #379
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was built in Calf in Dec of 06 and bought at a major Toyota dealership here in Oregon in May of 07...haven't recieved a notice and the dealer says no current recalls listed for my vin#.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #380
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Has anyone in Canada received a notice?

Recalls are directed by the government. Canadian DOT generally holds close to US standards, but I don't know how recalls are handled.
The previous recall for the gas pedal / brake override was similar to the one in the US , not sure about this one

*Ministry of Transportation