Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles

Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #401
singleboy3 is on a distinguished road
Name: frank
singleboy3's Tacoma Gallery
where do you go to check your vin...or is it just if your light came on?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #402
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
If your light is on, check with your dealer and they can check to see if you fall under the recall.

You can also create an account with Toyota's owner's web site and it will keep you updated.

If your light is not on, at this point, do nothing.
The dealerships do NOT have the ultimate replacement part. They are currently applying a band-aid fix to vehicles that already have "a light" by replacing the clockspring, but the replacement is the same part that failed and it will need to be replaced again when the final repair parts are available.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #403
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
stopped by the dealer today to see if they had parts...they did...in and out in about an hour.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #404
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
If your light is on, check with your dealer and they can check to see if you fall under the recall.

You can also create an account with Toyota's owner's web site and it will keep you updated.

If your light is not on, at this point, do nothing.
The dealerships do NOT have the ultimate replacement part. They are currently applying a band-aid fix to vehicles that already have "a light" by replacing the clockspring, but the replacement is the same part that failed and it will need to be replaced again when the final repair parts are available.
My local dealer told me if the light is on your air bags will not work in case of an accident, But i guess if you don't mind that then drive it ,i want mine to work when im driving the truck,, , Yea yea yea i know we drove for a hundred years with out air bags.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #405
gocky is on a distinguished road
gocky's Tacoma Gallery
you'll notice it if you want to do power brake burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Don't worry about the pedal, you won't notice when you drive. I'd forgotten they did it to mine (I also begged them not to).
they reprogram your truck so you can't do powerbrake burnouts....
Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #406
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocky View Post
they reprogram your truck so you can't do powerbrake burnouts....

FIRST!!!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #407
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha73 View Post
SWEEEEEEEEET! IM SO PUMPED my airbag light just went on and I know its the spiral cable thing so I gotta wait for my recall!
I took mine in when the light came on and they ordered the part and I went back and they replaced it.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #408
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
I took mine in when the light came on and they ordered the part and I went back and they replaced it.
And you will have to replace it again when the new parts are available.

It's been over 4 months... they have got to be close to a solution!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #409
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Worth it!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #410
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I made a point to ask the service manager if this was the same part that came on the vehicle and he said it was a new part number. Here is the number they replaced with. If he lied to me, I will be back up there to the service dept. and also take the salesman with me that sold me the truck. I will also go somewhere else and trade this truck in and buy a new one from someone else. Is this a different part number?
CABLE SUB-ASSY, S TO8430604080
Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
I made a point to ask the service manager if this was the same part that came on the vehicle and he said it was a new part number. Here is the number they replaced with. If he lied to me, I will be back up there to the service dept. and also take the salesman with me that sold me the truck. I will also go somewhere else and trade this truck in and buy a new one from someone else. Is this a different part number?
CABLE SUB-ASSY, S TO8430604080
I don't know the comparative part numbers, but the recall letter stated that the "remedy part" is being developed, and in the event the light comes on, the dealer will fix it. Another letter will be sent when the remedy parts are available.

The final "fix" parts are not yet available, and yes, the service manager lied to you. The part number may or may not be the same... but honestly, the final recall replacement part may or may not use the same part number.
In some cases, when a part is superseded, the "dash" number is updated such as "-Y1" becomes "-Y2", but in other cases when the old part is completely eliminated and no longer available, the replacement part may carry the same part number.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #412
yarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Yuri
yarik83's Tacoma Gallery
Hold your horses there champ. No need to trade your truck because of part numbers. People that work at dealerships never know what they are talking about so he did not lie to you. He told you the truth as it showed up on his screen. He is under strict instruction not to know anything about anything at no point in time so if his screen shows part number XXY and you need XXY-1 he thinks that his part number is right because it is only thing that comes up on the screen.

If your car is under warranty and you got your "temporary fix" then you have nothing to worry about until they figure out how to make a new part and you will have to take your truck in again.

If you paid for the part like I did then you will not be getting a refund until they develop a new part, send 2nd recall notices, provide you with instructions for a refund, you have all the paperwork documenting purchase of parts and labor, they approve it and only then 6 or so weeks later you would be getting a refund.

Temporary fix part works just like original. Unless your light went on again, it will work quite fine.

My temporary fix part number is 84306-04080 which was installed September 2011. We are now pushing 1 year since I changed the part and about 6 months since Toyota issued a recall.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #413
gocky is on a distinguished road
gocky's Tacoma Gallery
that transfer case in that jeep cherokee exploded because the guy was going 70 on the freeway for 150 miles, if you keep it slow on a fairly straight "paved" road for a couple miles under 70 u should be ok. I do it every month, just like the manual says to. Oh and I'm sure it also exploded because it's a crapola chrysler product we've now paid for twice with our taxes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocky View Post
that transfer case in that jeep cherokee exploded because the guy was going 70 on the freeway for 150 miles, if you keep it slow on a fairly straight "paved" road for a couple miles under 70 u should be ok. I do it every month, just like the manual says to. Oh and I'm sure it also exploded because it's a crapola chrysler product we've now paid for twice with our taxes
Uhh... I think you posted to the wrong thread.

And if the cherokee you are referring to is the one that I mentioned in another thread where my buddy had it "lemoned out", it was not even a 4x4... it was because the roof rusted out twice (in California!).
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #415
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
So since i already paid to have my truck fix they owe me my money and still have to replace the spiral cable with the newly designed part? Im pretty sure i might as well try to kiss my own ass because i know the local dealer is going to tell me too lol.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #416
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know the comparative part numbers, but the recall letter stated that the "remedy part" is being developed, and in the event the light comes on, the dealer will fix it. Another letter will be sent when the remedy parts are available.

The final "fix" parts are not yet available, and yes, the service manager lied to you. The part number may or may not be the same... but honestly, the final recall replacement part may or may not use the same part number.
In some cases, when a part is superseded, the "dash" number is updated such as "-Y1" becomes "-Y2", but in other cases when the old part is completely eliminated and no longer available, the replacement part may carry the same part number.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #417
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarik83 View Post
Hold your horses there champ. No need to trade your truck because of part numbers. People that work at dealerships never know what they are talking about so he did not lie to you. He told you the truth as it showed up on his screen. He is under strict instruction not to know anything about anything at no point in time so if his screen shows part number XXY and you need XXY-1 he thinks that his part number is right because it is only thing that comes up on the screen.

If your car is under warranty and you got your "temporary fix" then you have nothing to worry about until they figure out how to make a new part and you will have to take your truck in again.

If you paid for the part like I did then you will not be getting a refund until they develop a new part, send 2nd recall notices, provide you with instructions for a refund, you have all the paperwork documenting purchase of parts and labor, they approve it and only then 6 or so weeks later you would be getting a refund.

Temporary fix part works just like original. Unless your light went on again, it will work quite fine.

My temporary fix part number is 84306-04080 which was installed September 2011. We are now pushing 1 year since I changed the part and about 6 months since Toyota issued a recall.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #418
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
This is weird....

I called my TWO local Toyota dealerships to ask them about the Recall - and if they're performing them yet.... and they both said my truck isn't involved.

There's no RECALL listed in the system for my truck. ????

I thought all the early models were affected? Anyone else not involved in this?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #419
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
This is weird....

I called my TWO local Toyota dealerships to ask them about the Recall - and if they're performing them yet.... and they both said my truck isn't involved.

^ Same with my 07. I wonder how they're deciding which trucks of the years effected get the recall? Maybe it's just ones built at a certain plant or during certain months? Mine was built in Fremont Calif in Dec of 06.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #420
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
This is weird....

go to the toyota customer page and create an account (if you havent already). in there you can put in your VIN and it'll show what recalls are applicable to your specific vehicle.