Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #541
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
I have a appointment this morning for the spiral cable assembly and gas pedal. Are there any other recall related matters I should bring up while I'm their?
Sign a waiver on the gas pedal issue.

You have three separate operations that they will try to do:

1 - Spiral cable - You want this.

"Floor Mat" recall:

1 - Reflash the ECU to the latest code.
2 - Cut the bottom of the accelerator pedal.

#1, you may or may not want. What it does is if the brake is applied (brake light on) at more than either 25% or 33% (I don't recall which) throttle, the ECU will automatically cut the engine to idle.

#2, they cut the bottom inch or two off of the accelerator. Some are done nicely, some are hack jobs.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #542
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up only getting the spiral cable done. I opted out of the gas pedal and ECU flash. Didn't have to sign a waiver or anything. They didn't even bring up the floor mats. I was in and out in about a hour.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #543
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good deal.

The ECU flash doesn't bother me. Mine was done (and apparently the dealer used a new pedal rather than hacking the original) 6 months before I bought the truck.
The way I see the ECU flash is if there are any future reflashes issued, this "feature" will be included.

My 2006 Duramax was recalled for reflashes 3 times in the first year.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #544
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I might get the reflash/pedal done later on. Only reason I didn't get it done is because the wait time was 4+ hours. The spiral cable was only one. They also told me I could only get the reflash done if I get the the pedal cut.

I read that the reflash helps with better shifting.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #545

Keep an eye out on the Marketplace or put up a WTB.
The original uncut pedals come up every now and then.
Snag one, then if you end up getting the recall done, just replace it when you get home.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #546
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Well, color me pleasantly surprised.

Palm Beach Toyota, my nearest stealership, has a pretty bum rep with me already. They sold me my first Tacoma, but I don't hold that against the truck.

Anyhow, I had an appointment for 9AM yesterday to get the spiral cable done....Got my letter Thursday.

I arrived at 0850, as is my custom. I was third in line at the service bay, and as usual they were understaffed and have no concept what an appointment is supposed to mean (par for the course for this place).

So, at 915 I finally get the runner to take Betty in the back. I spoke with the service manager and the the assistant manager (not on purpose, the assistant came up to me afterwards and checked to make sure they had it right. Shocked me!) and made sure they understood they were NOT touch the ECU, gas petal, or floor mats.

The manager on duty, looked at my paperwork, cocked an eyebrow and spoke carefully. "Uh, sir, you have a manual trans...I mean, the floor mat thing is one thing, but the gas pedal..."

Apparently the look on my face gave me away, and he paused, studied me for a moment and bust out laughing, "OK, you almost got me!".

I played innocent. "I'm sorry?"

He thought for a minute I was serious and he flashed the 'oh shit' face, but I didn't wanna torture him too bad. "Kidding, kidding! Yes, I have a manual, plus I *know how to fucking drive*, so I don't have 'sudden unintended acceleration' problems. What I have is rage problems from idiot Florida drivers and running them over on fucking purpose."

He's positively bellowing laughter. "HOLY SHIT MAN, you wouldn't BELIEVE the ones we get in here!"

5 minute conversation ensues.

Anyhow, they surprised me again when the mechanic brought the truck out himself, an older gent of asian decent that was about 5'2" and looked like he's been turning wrenches longer than I've been breathing, and I almost docked him some points for forgetting to move my seat back, and I almost cut my own legs off getting back in the cab later.

But, he did such a job I let it go. I couldn't tell anyone had done ANYthing inside my truck except that the radio station presets were gone. Not a speck of dust, not a single errant grease spot or fingerprint.

I went back inside, complimented the manager on the mans' work, and actually asked if I could see the old part, in half jest while praising the cleanliness and quickness of the work. (I was behind the wheel by 0950).

90 seconds later the old cable is in front of me on the desk. Along with the already filled out and finished paperwork where I only needed to initial a couple places and walk away.

By FAR the best experience I've had at that place. Nice enough that I'm actually taking the time to give them a little praise here for others, in fact.

Granted, they're a dealer, so I prolly just got lucky for a Sunday morning, but hey...if we can piss and moan about bad, we should praise for good.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #547
joesmith is on a distinguished road
joesmith's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got mine replaced at the dealer, however the horn still does not work, checked the fuses etc. I guess when it warms up I will have to do some digging around to figure out why they are not working. Oh the dealer also wanted to fix my timing chain cover leak for only about $2,000, LOL.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #548
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
This is probably why they wanna charge $2000.
Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles-img00625-20120728-1311.jpg
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #549

That's freaking nuts.
I did the timing belt on my Tundra for $300 in parts and 6 hours of my own time.
It's a 4 hour labor job.

The 4.0 might be a bit more time, but it still should not be more than $600-$800.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #550
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Haha I thought the same thing.
Just run your oil a little over schedule and fill you seal back up with some unburnt debris.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #551
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith View Post
Finally got mine replaced at the dealer, however the horn still does not work, checked the fuses etc. I guess when it warms up I will have to do some digging around to figure out why they are not working. Oh the dealer also wanted to fix my timing chain cover leak for only about $2,000, LOL.
Take it back, they probably didn't reconnect the horn wire when they reinstalled your airbag.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #552
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That's freaking nuts.
I did the timing belt on my Tundra for $300 in parts and 6 hours of my own time.
It's a 4 hour labor job.

The 4.0 might be a bit more time, but it still should not be more than $600-$800.
Timing belts are a lot less labor intensive. Timing covers are almost pure labor, I believe alldata calls for 12 hours labor for the job, most dealers are around $100 per hour which means $1200 labor plus maybe an extra $100-$150 in parts, shouldn't be more than a $1500 job. Unless you happen to know a tech that is willing to help like I do for our locals.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Take it back, they probably didn't reconnect the horn wire when they reinstalled your airbag.
Ya, I gave my service adviser a call and left a voice mail. I will see what she says when I get the call back.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #554
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
This is probably why they wanna charge $2000.
Attachment 193498
Is this picture from the FSM? I'm trying to gather information on how to do this repair, I really don't want to pay the dealer to do this work.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #555

Quote:
Ya, I gave my service adviser a call and left a voice mail. I will see what she says when I get the call back.
Why wait for a call back? Why not just take it back and have them fix what they should have from the start? You have better odds of me fixing it over the internet than getting an advisor who knows the difference between an air filter and a headlight bulb. If your horn isnt working after they replaced your spiral cable it can only be 1 of a very few things, I.E. wire not hoked back up, blown fuse, bad ground, bad horns. Very simple circuit.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Why wait for a call back? Why not just take it back and have them fix what they should have from the start? You have better odds of me fixing it over the internet than getting an advisor who knows the difference between an air filter and a headlight bulb. If your horn isnt working after they replaced your spiral cable it can only be 1 of a very few things, I.E. wire not hoked back up, blown fuse, bad ground, bad horns. Very simple circuit.
I might try over lunch to have them look at it. I swapped the horn fuse and relay, and I also checked the grounds and everything looks good.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #557
DLANDER1225 is on a distinguished road
DLANDER1225's Tacoma Gallery
GREAT FORUM

THIS FORUM IS SO GREAT. LAST NIGHT AIRBAG LIGHT CAME ON . LOOKED HERE FOR AN ANSWER AND THERE IS A RECALL. SECOND TIME THE FORUM HAS ANSWERED MY ISSUES WITH A QUICK SEARCH.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #558
VA6DCO

Quote:
Is this picture from the FSM? I'm trying to gather information on how to do this repair, I really don't want to pay the dealer to do this work.
Haynes manual. Great little bible. I used it the entire time I did my lift. Though detailed in some applications a little skimpy on others.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #559
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLANDER1225 View Post
THIS FORUM IS SO GREAT. LAST NIGHT AIRBAG LIGHT CAME ON . LOOKED HERE FOR AN ANSWER AND THERE IS A RECALL. SECOND TIME THE FORUM HAS ANSWERED MY ISSUES WITH A QUICK SEARCH.
Find us for the trucks, stay for the food, pictures, meets, beer...
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #560
news8000 is on a distinguished road
news8000's Tacoma Gallery
Spiral Cable Recall - but repaired myself already

I just received the spiral cable recall notice. For those who have purchased their own spiral cable assembly and fixed it themselves - Toyota Canada will not credit you for this. ONLY if you had paid for the repair at a Toyota Dealership. I checked into dealer cost in fall 2011 when the airbag light came on (Winnipeg MB dealership) and it totaled over $700 before taxes. NEARLY $500 FOR THE PART! - <-- my face @ parts counter...
I did grill the service and parts people about an issue like this that should be covered as a safety issue, as it looked to me like there were a lot of complaints out there - mostly from reading this site. Their response was they had not experienced this as an issue with their customers. I walked out.
Got an OEM Toyota cable for my model and trim (2006 4x4 xcab 4.0 auto basic model) on ebay for $260 shipped to my door. Took all of 20 min. to swap in, no airbag light problem since.
I guess I'll have Toyota replace the cable again and I'll keep my part I bought. So, now at least I have had an operating airbag and no warning light for the last 16 months, and a spare spiral cable.