Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles

Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #561
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by news8000 View Post
I just received the spiral cable recall notice. For those who have purchased their own spiral cable assembly and fixed it themselves - Toyota Canada will not credit you for this. ONLY if you had paid for the repair at a Toyota Dealership. I checked into dealer cost in fall 2011 when the airbag light came on (Winnipeg MB dealership) and it totaled over $700 before taxes. NEARLY $500 FOR THE PART! - <-- my face @ parts counter...
I did grill the service and parts people about an issue like this that should be covered as a safety issue, as it looked to me like there were a lot of complaints out there - mostly from reading this site. Their response was they had not experienced this as an issue with their customers. I walked out.
Got an OEM Toyota cable for my model and trim (2006 4x4 xcab 4.0 auto basic model) on ebay for $260 shipped to my door. Took all of 20 min. to swap in, no airbag light problem since.
I guess I'll have Toyota replace the cable again and I'll keep my part I bought. So, now at least I have had an operating airbag and no warning light for the last 16 months, and a spare spiral cable.
You will have to put the original spiral cable back in the truck or they wont do the job.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #562
news8000 is on a distinguished road
news8000's Tacoma Gallery
DIY spiral cable repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
You will have to put the original spiral cable back in the truck or they wont do the job.

Oh shit, I destroyed the old one - curious to see what the problem was so I took it apart. I'll still raise shit about it and see what they say. Bummer!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #563
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Oh shit, I destroyed the old one - curious to see what the problem was so I took it apart. I'll still raise shit about it and see what they say. Bummer!
If the one you bought looks factory and has the label we look for it might fly, BUT you wont be getting your old part back, thats for sure. They make sure all recalled parts are either sent back or destroyed.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #564
Quote:
If the one you bought looks factory and has the label we look for it might fly, BUT you wont be getting your old part back, thats for sure. They make sure all recalled parts are either sent back or destroyed.

I guess I'm in no rush to have the recall repair done, may as well "use up" the squib I bought!
Toyota has me over a barrel, then, to carry the cost of the $500 difference between the dealership's price and my doing it myself for as long as it MAY take Toyota to issue a recall for the problem - which of course I had no guarantee would happen. If you repair something yourself, rather than have a dealership do the work which then becomes a recall item, you are likely screwed unless you can put back any parts replaced before taking it in. Which is where I take a lesson - to resist my innate curiosity to take apart stuff that isn't working right. But I had no idea if Toyota would ever issue a recall.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #565
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
I just had my spiral cable replaced yesterday at my local dealer. I never had the airbag fault light to begin with, but all is well now. Thanks to Jason (Toyota Tech31) for confirming that the recalled applied to my VIN!

Questions: Is this new spiral cable the same part # as the spiral cable that comes in trucks equipped with steering wheel audio controls? I ask because I'm looking to add steering wheel controls to my truck. Other than the spiral cable, are these trucks pre-wired for audio controls whether or not the final assembly line product ends up equipped with them (just as all of our trucks recieve some of the wiring for other items such as the overhead console and A-TRAC)?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
I just had my spiral cable replaced yesterday at my local dealer. I never had the airbag fault light to begin with, but all is well now. Thanks to Jason (Toyota Tech31) for confirming that the recalled applied to my VIN!

Questions: Is this new spiral cable the same part # as the spiral cable that comes in trucks equipped with steering wheel audio controls? I ask because I'm looking to add steering wheel controls to my truck. Other than the spiral cable, are these trucks pre-wired for audio controls whether or not the final assembly line product ends up equipped with them (just as all of our trucks recieve some of the wiring for other items such as the overhead console and A-TRAC)?
I think my non-equipped (stock) 2006 4WD V6 Auto has a different spiral cable than one with the "bells and whistles".
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #567
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think my non-equipped (stock) 2006 4WD V6 Auto has a different spiral cable than one with the "bells and whistles".
I'm certain it does. However, I wonder if the new spiral cable I had installed under the recall is now the same as the spiral cable that's on trucks equipped at the factory with the steering wheel controls. If so, I'd be one step closer to mounting the controls on my truck.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #568
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
I'm certain it does. However, I wonder if the new spiral cable I had installed under the recall is now the same as the spiral cable that's on trucks equipped at the factory with the steering wheel controls. If so, I'd be one step closer to mounting the controls on my truck.
I am sure your dealership will have a record of the p/n installed.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #569
g8rzguy78 is on a distinguished road

Name: J.C.
g8rzguy78's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I refused, signed the waiver and the dipstick mechanic still chopped it... It was a pretty stupid recall in my opinion but I'm over it. I can't tell when I'm driving now.
They did the same to mine, about 1/2 of it is gone now and looks terrible.

I took mine this past Saturday to have the Spiral cable fixed. took about an hour overall. That and got the oil changed while I was there.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #570

For those of you who feel their gas pedal looks like shit following the 90L (gas pedal) recall, you have the right to go back to the dealer and request a brand new gas pedal be put in your truck free of charge. It has to be legit, but that is included in the recall paperwork.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #571
JamieThomas is on a distinguished road
Name: Jamie Thomas
JamieThomas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For those of you who feel their gas pedal looks like shit following the 90L (gas pedal) recall, you have the right to go back to the dealer and request a brand new gas pedal be put in your truck free of charge. It has to be legit, but that is included in the recall paperwork.
I don't like how it look like they cut mine at all but they will not replace it see that its not horrible but i am displeased at the fact they just cut it off
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #572

May, 2011

To: All Toyota Dealer Principals, Service Managers, Parts Managers

Subject: Supplemental Information for Safety Recall – 90L

Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal

Although we believe that the majority of customers will be satisfied with the modification of the accelerator pedal, a few customers may request pedal replacement. Customer satisfaction is important to Toyota; therefore, if a customer is not satisfied with the appearance of the accelerator pedal after it has been modified, please assist us by assuring a replacement pedal is provided at

no charge to these customers.

A replacement pedal should be offered to a customer after the modification has been performed and the customer has expressed dissatisfaction with the pedal.

A replacement pedal should be used when the original pedal has been modified incorrectly.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #573
g8rzguy78 is on a distinguished road

Name: J.C.
g8rzguy78's Tacoma Gallery
well thats better. Ill be calling this afternoon...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #574
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A replacement pedal should be used when the original pedal has been modified incorrectly.
I want to see photos of "original pedals that have been modified incorrectly."

When I had the TSB repair done at the local Toyota dealer, they were instructed not to touch my accelerator pedal because the floor mats were correct. They did not touch it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
I want to see photos of "original pedals that have been modified incorrectly."

When I had the TSB repair done at the local Toyota dealer, they were instructed not to touch my accelerator pedal because the floor mats were correct. They did not touch it.
"Incorrectly" is a case by case. Everyone has a different opinion on how theirs should look. As for yours, they shouldn't have done any of the recall if they didn't cut the pedal as we have been instructed that we are not to do "partial" recalls. It's either all or nothing.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #576

And to help a little more, when we were trained here in the southeast region, it was made clear how we are to modify the pedals. Just a few months ago I was advised by one of our FTS's that if I ever saw a pedal that was cut like shit I was to replace it. He told me that there are guys out there that are hacking these things up and we are to right that wrong. We were trained to the point that our reps stopped by while we were cutting pedals and literally inspected them for a few hours. I take every pedal and modify it to the best of my ability to make it smooth and appear as close to untouched as I can.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #577
TacoBella is on a distinguished road

Navy: Naval Aviator, EC-10, C-3, 737 on and on...
TacoBella's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see this "spiral cable" recall on the Toyota owners site, have only been notified of the accelerator /brake recall. The MSNBC link has no information

Year old Probably have to check with dealer.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #578
BobbyG99 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
BobbyG99's Tacoma Gallery
Just has the spiral cable replaced about three weeks ago and recently noticed my CC and horn were not working. Anybody else have this issue?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG99 View Post
Just has the spiral cable replaced about three weeks ago and recently noticed my CC and horn were not working. Anybody else have this issue?
Take it back, they probably forgot to plug in 1 of the 2 plugs for the horn/cruise.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #580
BobbyG99 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
BobbyG99's Tacoma Gallery
I did this week. They told everything was plugged in, the fuses were good as well as the relays.